“Dixie Belle Motel Port St Joe”
Review of Dixie Belle Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Saint Joe
Dixie Belle Motel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Port Saint Joe
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My daughter and I decided to try scalloping in Port St Joe for a summer activity. Times being what they are, our budget was limited. We stayed at the Dixie Belle and found it to be very clean. The rooms are somewhat dated, but for the price, you cannot beat it. The air conditioning was excellent and the place as a whole was peaceful and quiet. When I asked the owner advice, he produced charts/maps and gave advice on where to go to do the scalloping. I must say the room was cleaned to a perfection every day and that says a whole lot of the effort of these owners....I would definately recommend this place to a friend due to its overall cleanliness, the thick walls that allowed nice quiet sleeping, and close proximity to all of the best eating establishments. Thumbs Up to the owners.

Room Tip: Did not get to see the kitchen room, but if it was larger, I would have spent the 10 dollars a night...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank James H
michelada28, Owner at Dixie Belle Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Two of our kitchen units are larger than our standard rooms which are definitely on the small side. The medium kitchen is 1 1/2 X's larger and the big kitchen is over 2 X's larger.

There are newer reviews for Dixie Belle Motel

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We took a gamble on staying here instead of a chain hotel, and it paid off! The room was a bit small, but it was clean, had a nice little storage alcove, tv/ cable, and a small fridge, basically everything you need for an overnight stay. We stayed with our five year old, enjoyed a short trip to the beach and a nice dinner at the Dockside Cafe. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TheKCOptimist
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Dixie Belle is a great "old school" place to stay if you're wanting to fish or take little kids to the beach. Very affordable and cute. It's got some age, but that's it's charm. If you need the Hampton Inn experience, this is NOT for you. I was very pleased with my stay, but owner jumped on my case because I put a couple of scoops of ice in one of those little 6-pack coolers. They have a sign on the cooler that says "Don't fill your coolers," and I can understand that. Guys with those huge coolers could empty the entire ice machine and leave nothing for anyone else. I was trying to be considerate, so I put four drinks in my six pack cooler and put a couple of scoops of ice on top. So like some grumpy old uncle, the owner comes up to me and growls, "I wish you guys would stop filling your coolers with ice!" I don't know if he thought I was with some other group, since it was just me, but I told him, "I didn't fill it up, I just put in a couple of scoops," and held up the cooler to show him. "Well, when you get ice out of the ice machine," he snapped back, "it just has to run and run in this hot weather!" OK, so let me get this straight: Only use ice when it's cold outside??? I hate to buy into the stereotype of the Rude Northerner, but the owner needs to lighten up on paying customers and learn some hospitality. To avoid any more confrontations with him, I left the ice alone the rest of our stay. Buy some ice in town and avoid the guy; his wife seemed nice enough, though. You can't beat the rate -- I was there for fishing, not to hang out in a hotel room, so it was perfect for me. A great stay except for getting snapped at by the owner. Suggestion: Instead of grumbling about people using too much ice, sell bags of ice and make it more friendly for fishermen. I guess it annoyed me because I was trying to be considerate and still got snapped at like I was a kid who stood too long with the refrigerator door open.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DeepSouthRick
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

We burned out a $1600 ice machine compressor bagging ice at night for our guests coolers, so we had to stop that particular amenity. I'm surprised that Dan was the grumpy one. He's usually very easygoing and I'm the "bad cop" on the ice police force.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband, son and I recently stayed here for a couple nights. We normally stay in Mexico Beach but could find no vacancies (anywhere cheap enough, anyway). Passing by, you would probably be hesitant to stay but we had absolutely no problems. For us personally, the drive into Mexico Beach to meet up with the rest of our family and friends was a little long (this is the first time ever we haven't stayed in MB, so we're used to either staying in the same condo or being one road over from family and friends) but if we ever find ourselves needing a place on a small budget, I would deifnitely stay here again. We were in a room with 2 double beds, perfectly clean. Small bathroom, which smelled very strongly of bleach or ammonia and we had to go buy some air freshner but at least it was the smell of cleaner and not something else. Bathroom was clean. One teeny problem was the sliding lock on the door didn't actually have anything to slide the bar into. Had I been alone, I would have requested them to put a new lock (of course, it still had the regular lock on the door) but I felt perfectly fine with my husband there. The owners may also want to consider putting dead bolts on the doors. Oh, one other thing, I would have felt better with a curtain on the bathroom window. Yes, the window is high up and not waist level but a tall person could still see in and yes, the glass is frosted over but just me personally, being a woman, I felt better getting dressed in the room, not the bathroom. We were only there long enough to shower, sleep and get dressed, so I can't attest to any of the extras, like the grilling area, fish cleaning area, anything like that. And I didn't meet anyone who worked there, though the maid did a fine job straightening up while we were gone during the day. My husband checked us in and out and he said the lady there was perfectly nice. For the money we spent, definitely can't beat it. I would consider staying again unless we were going for more than a few days. And that's only because if we're at the beach for a whole week, I need a house or condo. I wouldn't want to stay in any hotel for a whole week. If you are snooty and have your nose in the air, you will not want to stay here. And don't judge a book by it's cover. My husband found this hotel online when everything in MB was reserved or outrageously priced (i.e. the EL Governor). He didn't take time to look at the outside pictures, only the inside pictures, so he wasn't prepared when we pulled up. Trust me, we have a 7 year old and had we not felt safe or felt like we were going to leave with a rash or something, we would not have stayed. Thanks for not charging an arm and a leg because you could and people would still choose to stay because of lack of hotels. Those of us on tight budgets appreciate it!

Room Tip: We were in room 1, whose door was on the end of the building, facing a different direction from the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ToucansMBbound
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I knew immediatly which room the reviewer stayed in because #1 is the only one without a deadbolt. She's so right. I need to have one installed immediately. In the meantime, it does have a slide bolt on the inside.The importiant thing is that my guests need to feel safe and secure.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stay at the Dixie Bell twice a month. The owners/operators are always very polite and courteous. Coffee is always ready in the morning in the front office/lobby. The rooms.....very cozy and clean, with fresh linens and a super comfy bed. The hotel is an older hotel and is very well maintained. I like the hotel mainly because it is away from the more heavily populated areas, making it a bit quieter than the other locations.

It's safe to say I'll be resting my head there for many nights to come!

Room Tip: All rooms are non-smoking. Makes for a longer overall life of the room and keeps out the odor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chad S
Reviewed April 30, 2012

She is older but that does not make her any less charming! Roomy ,clean, and a happy new coat of paint. The bed was so comfy after walking, sunbathing and sight seeing all day. Centrally located between lots of outdoorsy things to do. I had a pleasant surprise upon check in, originally when I made the res earlier in the week there was only a double with a twin on top available. Well they did not mention or charge us any more $ for a nice roomy up grade queen bed with a full sized fridge and kitchenette. Thanks Dixie Belle for a fun weekend! I will always come back :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jessea62
michelada28, Owner at Dixie Belle Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

We had a cancelation which made the upgrade possible. I try to give my guests the best experience I can. So glad we made you happy with your stay. Thanks

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed at The Dixie Belle last October 2011 for a week. It was fine, a good value. It was my brother and I on a fishing getaway. The place is run by decent, serious about business, people, kept clean and pleasant when we returned everyday. I like old motels, and this one has a lot of original charm. No generic upgrades just to have new stuff. Arriving at night I was concerned about the location, but it actually has very good short access to Mexico Beach and Pt St Joe. We enjoyed our visit and will stay again.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Apalachicola
Rancho Inn
Rancho Inn
#4 of 5 in Apalachicola

Been to Dixie Belle Motel? Share your experiences!