“Great hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Port Richey
LEWES
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We spent two nights at the Hampton Inn in Port Richey, Florida. We always try to stay at Hampton Inns when traveling; they're clean, reasonably priced, have comfortable beds and offer a breakfast buffet. This one exceeded our expectations. The hotel looked almost brand new but we learned it's about 4 years old. Everything was in pristine condition, staff was very pleasant and the buffet staff kept it well stocked and cleaned up. Kudos to the management of the Hampton Inn, Port Richey, FL for keeping their hotel and staff top notch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Queens, New York
Reviewed March 7, 2012

FWIW, if it were possible, my overall rating for this hotel would be a 3.5 instead of a 3.

Stayed here recently for four nights while visiting family in the area over President's Day weekend and beyond. The location for us is perfect - very close to to the people we were visiting. Upon pulling up to the hotel, it appeared to be very clean and well maintained and this was indeed the case. So no problems there. We arrived early in the afternoon (before check-in time) and our room was not ready. Came back later after check-in time and was checked in. While checking in they have me sign and initial some form and on it showed a rate of $94 per night, but my reservation was for $84 a night with the AAA rate. I question it and the girl behind the desk assures me that even though she agrees it looks wrong that we'll only be charged $84 a night but for some reason that's just the way the computer prints it out. Fortunately, I had the printout of my reservation with me - as I'd need it a few more times. We had a reservation for a 2 queen bed studio suite I go up to our room with all our luggage (we are 4 people - 2A/2C), only to find that they had given us a room with king bed. I immediately call the front desk and they tell me to come back to the lobby and they will straighten it out. I get down to the desk and there is a couple that was supposed to checking in but asking to have their reservation switched to the Hampton Inn 20-30 minutes south for some reason - I think they said they picked the wrong location when they made the reservation. Anyway, the front desk manager then gives us the room those people were supposed to get. So what would have happened had they stayed?

Anyway, the room itself was great. Very spacious, and the beds were comfortable. There was a nice sized fridge, a microwave, and coffee maker and a sink in the area right when you enter the room. Nice flat-screen TV that can swivel to face the "living room area" or the beds and a desk area with chairs on both sides. Well designed room for sure. The WiFi worked well as also, so no issues there. The first morning, I wake up and go to make some coffee and notice they slipped a bill under my door. They had us checking out after one night even though we had a reservation for four nights. Clearly, when they switched the rooms for us, they screwed up and only put us in for one night. So, while down in the lobby for breakfast, we had to straighten that out with the front desk. Then, on our third day both of our key cards stopped working. Back to the front desk again to get the keys fixed. Then, when I wake up on our last day, I check the bill they slid under the door and they were overcharging us. again, our reservation was for $84 a night (an excellent value at that price, I will say), but low and behold, they were charging us $94. Back to the front desk with our reservation confirmation and after initially telling us something along the lines of "but you initialed the form that showed the $94 rate" they adjusted our bill to $84/night. I will say at no point were we given any attitude or anything like that. They were always courteous and ultimately corrected the issues, but so many mistakes are definitely alarming and should not have happened.

The complimentary breakfasts were all very good. It's one thing I have always liked about the Hampton brand. They do the breakfast much better than other hotel brands. I also like the coffee available 24/7. And the triple-chocolate cookies they put out at 5pm every day - delicious.

The kids wanted to go in the pool the day we arrived since it was warm that day (about 80 degrees) since being from NY they hadn't gone swimming since the summer. The water was nice and clear, but there was a lot of debris (leaves and such) that should be cleaned a lot more often that it apparently is. Also, the water was very cold. Just about all the other hotels in the area have heated pools, I don't know why theirs is not. That was very disappointing. One other thing was their guest laundry area. It was one washer and one dryer. Should be at least 2 and 2 as they were constantly being used and you had to wait for your chance. And just like every other dryer I've used at a hotel, it required multiple cycles. No hotel can get their hands on a decent dryer?

So to summarize:

PROS: rooms, breakfast, overall cleanliness

CONS: front desk staff incompetence, dirty/unheated pool

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mcd2745
Toronto
Reviewed February 23, 2012

On a recommendation, I made reservations at the Hampton Inn in Port Richey. Having never stayed at a Hampton Inn before, I didn't know what to expect from the hotel.

From the moment I pulled into the parking lot of the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The exterior of the hotel looked great and had plenty of free parking. I was immediately greeted by the front desk staff in the lobby who made the check-in process a breeze. I also liked the availability of free hot beverages all day long in the lobby and freshly baked cookies in the afternoon.

The hotel room was perfect. I especially liked the televisions that did not require any special controls to operate. Real water glasses would have been nice to have in the room. The wireless internet service was easy to operate, fast and only required a daily log-in.

Each day, the hotel offers a free breakfast which actually includes hot items, such as fresh waffles and eggs. I was also surprised by the friendly staff who obviously make an effort to remember their guests.

The only minor disappointment was the pool. It could have used a cleaning and it was not heated, so the temperature was only 15 degrees Celsius.

If I ever return to Port Richey, I will definitely stay at the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I am a Diamond member with Hilton Hotels and I am typing this review as I sit on the edge of my rock hard mattress at this Hampton inn. I have just spent my first sleepless night in a hotel in months(and I stay in hotels almost five months of the year).

Great hotel up to date beautiful grounds and rooms. But someone seriously cut corners on this mattress! This thing is terrible!

I challenge the hotel manager to stay in room 405 for a night or more...better yet the owner...you'll see maybe why this frequent business traveller wants to come back but can't!

• Stayed February 2012
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We were travelling to visit family in South Florida for Christmas, needed a stopping place Christmas Eve. I reseached this property which had great tripadvisor reviews, and 40 miles out, called ahead to see if there was a vacancy. Bjorn was very friendly on the phone, encouraging us to travel to Port Richey, no need to reserve, just c'mon in.

Upon arriving, we checked in easily, unloaded our overnight bags and parked. The exterior looked well kept and pretty. I wanted to watch USM play in the Hawaii Bowl, but didn't care to sit in my hotel room. I asked Bjorn if we could use the dining/lounge area. He was agreeable to that, so I set up a spot with the rest of my Christmas cards, my address books, photos, maps to plan the rest of the trip and my cuppa. Daughter set up her laptop and iPod, connected with the free WiFi, on another table and we had the best time. The lounge was tastefully decorated, the TV was great, the ambiance was perfect for our needs, low lighting, Christmas decorations, open and inviting. Pictures attached. We did need to pop a bag of popcorn and Bjorn invited us to open up the kitchen so we could use the microwave. I can't stress enough how welcoming he was. Thank you Bjorn!

I did check out the pool, hoping for a heated one, but alas, no.

We greeted other guests as they checked in, hoping we'd get a little tailgating action going on, but no one else seemed to be interested in the game, although they were all friendly. After the game (USM won!) we cleaned up our litter and headed back to the room. The room was fine. Beds comfortable, bedding looked and smelled clean and fresh, not much of a view, but we weren't on the Coast and didn't expect that. Slept peacefully, was not awakened by any disturbances, noise, traffic, anything. I did use an extra towel to block the light coming from under the door, as I usually do at most hotels. The bathroom was fine, nice shower, plenty of water pressure, hot water, soap, shampoo, clean fluffy white towels, etc.

In the morning we went down to the breakfast area, greeting and being greeted by guests and staff alike with "Merry Christmas!" Standard fare: eggs, sausage patties, oatmeal, waffles, stuff like that. Completely up to par. What set it off was Anna's friendliness even though she was at work on Christmas morning. She greeted all the guests, kept the place clean and well stocked, and did not get bent out of shape when I couldn't figure out how to work the milk dispenser (of all things!) and spilled it on the counter and floor. We cleaned it up in a minute. Thank you Anna!

We went back to the room, packed up and checked out. Once we got to the vehicle we couldn't find our sunglasses. Must have left them in the room. Walked back in, told the front desk we lost something and they gave us a key to get back in the room. Didn't find them, so headed back out. We found the glasses inside the vehicle. Headed on down the pike, and when we got to our final destination, saw that I had two messages from the hotel, one on email and one on facebook. Bjorn asked me to return his call. I called him, and he said they found a laptop, and since I had re-entered the property, wondered if that's what I was looking for. It was not, and they did find the owner, but I felt that this was above and beyond, and I was and still am very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and I probably will as I visit my family in the future. Perfect stopping point for me. (tip to property: can you PLEASE heat the pool? A hot tub would be a welcoming addition for weary travelers, as well: Icing on the cake! )

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Of all the Hampton Inns we have stayed at, and we have stayed at quite a few, this one needs a room and breakfast makeover. Our room was small. The carpet in our room was VERY stained. The bathroom was a nice size. There was no refrigerator and no makeup mirror. The bed and pillows were very comfortable so we were not disappointed. The lounge area is very nice. Parking was easy. Staff was wonderful. Breakfast was just okay. Eggs and sausage was cold. Couldn't get the cereal out of the holder. No bananas. Very poor selection for breakfast. Was in a busy location so our room was noisy at night. If it wasn't for the bed, I would have not even given it a three star rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a quiet location, we did but didn't get one.