“The Best Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
VIRGINA
“The Best Hidden Gem”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Great wait staff. Good value for the meal. Expertly prepared. Fresh. Great dinner show of dolphins and pelicans. Was recommended by a local and it wasn't disappointing. Very casual and informal. I would be a regular if I lived in the area.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kepnitreel

Warkworth, Canada
“Best fish sandwich EVER.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'm a Canadian and I recently visited my sister who lives in Port Orange. We always go to the "Down Under" for lunch....it's a staple. So this review, after several visits, is long overdue. And it is the same review I would've given it several years ago when I went there the first time. THAT'S how good this place is. We arrived to the same 'all smiles' girl at the counter where you place your order, The menu is on HUGE boards on the wall on your way to the ordering counter. Perfect. I already knew what I wanted. The basic 'fish sandwich' which is the catch of the day...small, paper thin pieces of juicy fish (slightly breaded) that are 'flash fried' for seconds. NO GREASE. Piled HIGH on a fresh bun..with a side of some of the best coleslaw I've had...tangy...not soaked in mayo, crunchy and delicious. The fries are fresh cut and outstanding. Try the deep fried dill pickles....albeit a nutritional faux pas buuuuuut.....unreal. Beware though! They are 'spicy'. Yep...I don't know what they do to them but, they are not for those who suffer from heartburn or ulcers.....just sayin'. Meanwhile, back at the meal...we placed our order, picked out a table of the wrap-around patio that had some sun...(you have choices)...the drinks come quickly and their sweet tea is Top 5 for me...REAL tea. They bring you a bowl of lemon slices without asking...nice. It's a bottomless tea too...with take out cups provided. The meal arrives within 15 minutes with a server who is great....ALWAYS great. I have never met a server I didn't like in 7 visits.,..as a pro in the hospitality business...THAT is impressive. My buddy from PEI Canada (where they KNOW fish)..said it was THE BEST fish sandwich he had ever eaten. Period. He's 52 and eaten a lot of them...so take that for what it's worth. The bill was inconsequential....somewhere around $35 or so. Take time to find this 'gem' under the bridge over to the Daytona Strip......it CANNOT be beat. GREAT place...fun, professional, quality food....I have nothing bad to say...and I almost ALWAYS do. LOL Enjoy!

• Visited April 2013
“Fine casual atmosphere.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We're vacationing here for the week and wanted some fresh seafood....specifically fried shrimp. Well, we found it here....and the conk fritters were very good, too!

• Visited May 2013
Port Orange, Florida
“Beautiful Views”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Sitting out on the deck is one of our favorite pass times. There are always boats passing by. You may even spy dolphing nearby looking for their supper. Good choices of seafood and other choices. Many locals frequent this restaurant.

Visited April 2013
Evansville, Indiana
“Fun Place to Hang Out”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Family owned restaurant and bar suitable for families but a fun place for couples to hang out. Casual dining where seafood is the specialty but there were sandwiches to choose from as well. Located under the bridge with open air seating and inside seating too. The bar area was crowded with locals and friends meeting for a beer.

Visited May 2013