“Was I duped or just ignorant?”

Boondocks Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 169 Restaurants in Port Orange
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Boondocks is a casual, fun restaurant with fresh seafood, great salads and soups, and all homemade sauces. We also offer chicken sandwiches and tenders, 1/2 lb. burgers, hotdogs, and other kid-friendly meals. From raw and steamed oysters to spicy steamed shrimp, Zuppa di clams and our amazing garlic bread, mussels marinara and our delicious oysters Rockefeller, we will fill you up and make you smile! Come watch the sunset over the marina and relax. Just another day in paradise!!!
Cleveland, TN
“Was I duped or just ignorant?”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A water's edge marina restaurant that had more the feel of youth camp. Granted we visited on an evening when the weather was less than ideal. But disposable dinnerware and picnic style tables didn't meet expectations.
The fish of the day was Basa of which I had not heard. The waitress pitched it as a lite fish similar to flounder. So I ordered blackened. Portion was huge, fish texture was definitely not flounder. While the fish taste was not bad, it really wasn't pleasant to eat. Blackening spices were overwhelming. I have since learned Basa is a very inexpensive Vietnamese fish, more like catfish, which would explain the texture. While I didn't enjoy the meal, now I begrudge.
Crab bite appetizers were good---fresh taste and good value. Garlic bread was as good as advertised.
Be wary if you want a smoke free dining experience...a sign indicated when window covers are closed-No Smoking--otherwise I presume it is considered outdoor dining which allows smoking.
Team service environment worked very well but I will downgrade based on information.

• Visited February 2013

Mansfield, Ohio
“Best bruschetta I have ever had in my life..”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I tried fresh oysters for the first time, different texture but goo...their bruschetta is the best that my friends and I ever had..we will be back next summer.

Visited May 2012
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Don't get the paella!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My folks had been raving my whole trip about going to Boondocks. Sadly I can't say I was very impressed. First of all we given a seat at a high plank hardly wide enough for a plate. I asked to be moved as soon as a table became available. We were moved after 5 mins. I ordered paella and it was unedible!! Goodness knows who told them that's how you make paella but they should take a visit to Spain!! Only decent thing they had was wine at. Reasonable price. If you go avoid the paella!!

• Visited September 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Well worth the detour”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you are looking for fresh fish then Boondocks is where you will find a great meal. After our first visit we realized how many repeat customers this little gem has amassed. We tried the tuna melt sandwiches on rye which is a thin sliced tuna steak with sharp provolone cheese on rye bread which was amazing. All of the fresh catch blackened fish was truly a delight and don't miss out on the crab bites which we could not get enough of. The ambiance is laid back and casual as the restaurant shares the dock with a marina and some really nice sunsets. Staff are extremely friendly and the service was great. Can't wait to go back.

Visited January 2013
Virginia
“Wonderful, fresh seafood”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My father lives down the street from this restaurant and on my last visit we went on a hunt for the best fried fish sandwich. We went to a different restaurant every day for lunch and Boondocks won our little contest, hands down! This small, casual, open-air restaurant did not disappoint on any level.

• Visited September 2012