“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Port Charlotte
philadelphia
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Great service. Wonderful breakfast each morning. Cookies every night at 8pm - baked on-site - AWESOME!! Had a balcony overlooking the lake - would certainly book the same room again. The hotel had a water leak, but you would never have known it with how quickly they cleaned it up and accomodated everyone. Beds were very comfortable, althoug the air conditioner was a bit loud, but nothing that you couldn't sleep through. Bathrooms were very large, clean and the water pressure was just right!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Had a very pleasant stay at this Holiday Inn Express. It was very clean.

We booked a balcony room and were quite surprised as to the size of this balcony. It was large and overlooked a lake. It had regular patio furniture (not the plastic kind) that consisted of a chaise lounge, 2 arm chairs and a small round accent table. There seem to be only 4 balcony rooms and it was definately worth the extra $10 a night, especially if you're traveling with a teen and you want a little more room. There was wireless internet in the room (& on the balcony) which was very convenient.

The pool was very private, relaxing and refreshing (even though it was the end of July when most Florida pool water is bath warm). It also overlooked the lake.

The continental breakfast was a definate plus. They had quite a selection and each day they offered a different hot item. They had almost everything during our stay from fruits to cereals, assorted pastries, breads, yogurt, several juice choices, hot chocolate, cheese omelettes, sausage, bacon, biscuits & gravy, waffles, etc. The breakfast bar was clean and always attended too and replenished.

The staff was pleasant, both behind the desk and housekeeping. This hotel states that housekeeping will not knock on your door prior to 10 am to clean the room and they held true to that. As we were leaving on day of check out we didn't realize we had left our full laundry bag in the room. My husband and I were already in the car as my daughter was in the breakfast bar area. Housekeeping brought our full laundry bag down the elevator to catch us. Wow, that would have been an expensive mistake if they weren't so kind enough and quick enough to track us down.

The hotel is in a nice part of town. Cracker Barrel is right nearby , Wal-Mart across the highway and we found out so is an auto parts store because we needed to change a headlight while we were there.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here and we definately will again while we are visitng family in the area.

• Liked — balcony
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Nolcrest
boston
Reviewed February 19, 2008

The suite was a good size. Plenty of room for two kids to move around. Counter with sink, coffee maker and microwave. Good experience with all the staff members. Decent hot breakfast. Beautiful, small, clean pool. Overall good value. Laundry room on second floor. It cost me a total of $2.50 to do a huge load of laundry. Large clean lobby with computer and printer.

• Liked — large suite, clean
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Massachusettsfolks
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We needed to stay close to the Punta Gorda Airport as we took advantage of some very cheap airfare with Skybus as the flight in got in late and the flight out left very early. Because I had a lot of points saved with ICH (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Staybridge, etc.), wanted to try and use up my points. Lucky for us this newer Holiday Inn Express opened up in Port Charlotte and was only 10,000 points a night. We stayed the night we landed and the night before we took off. The hotel is very close to a 7-11 and gas station and there were some fast food chains nearby. I wouldn't say there was much in walking range, but I would assume you'd have a vehicle if you are staying out this way and could travel as needed.

Check-In
Was moderately friendly and they made sure our room requests were met. They didn't have a King Room, so we were fine with two Queen beds (not their fault, there weren't any Kings when we booked). Were far from the elevator and was non-smoking. I will say this, the hotel layout is a bit funky. They appear to have non-smoking rooms across, next to Smoking rooms, unless their signage was incorrect. We didn't smell any cigarette smoke, and I have the nose of a beagle and am allergic, and it wasn't a problem, but could have been either no one smoking around us or no chain smokers around us or maybe the rooms are just sealed off very well (I didn't notice any common vents/ducts). Just something to mention…

Room
As we walked in there was an empty cabinet that looked like it should have had a microfridge unit and didn't. Not sure what that was all about, but hopefully that is something they'll be adding, or at least remove the cabinet. There was a small square desk that would be awkward if traveling on business, since it was more of a table than a desk, but since I wasn't traveling on business and didn't need to use it, I didn't mind. There was another table and chair and our view was of the very neat lake in the back. Got to bird watch from my window which was a huge plus.

The beds were very comfortable, just the right firmness and they give you a ton of poly pillows that are either soft or firm. I absolutely love that about this chain as I don't use down. We did remove the duvet from the sheets and ended up using just two sheets. The linens were very clean on the first night, however on the 2nd night I noticed a stain on one of the sheets and on the bed. Nothing major, but could use improvement.

The bathroom was adequate and they provide shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Bottles were a decent size. I adore the new showerheads they use as they are more of disc where you can change the force of the water pressure. Very nice shower experience. Towels were soft enough and plentiful.

There is a TV with closed caption in the room and had decent channels. The room had a dehumidifier, which was great, as we like background noise when we sleep, however the HVAC unit was difficult to set, at least on the AC side. After we messed around with it a bit, we got it, but might be good for them to provide instructions. We really didn't hear a lot of outside noise, except for doors, so the hotel appeared to be constructed fairly well.

Other
Breakfast in the morning was a nice treat. They have very good cinnamon rolls (their claim to fame) as well as some fruits, toast, Danish and some hot items (they had bacon and eggs the days we were there). I was able to eat some healthy wheat toast and oatmeal while my husband went for the donut, cinnamon roll, eggs route (he didn't love the eggs too much, they might have been sitting for a while).

There is a nice pool in the back which faces the lake. Would be great for just relaxing. There also looked like there was a trail around the lake or a partial trail for those who'd like to enjoy the atmosphere. I believe the hotel has a fitness center, but wasn't able to utilize this during the stay.

Overall, this was a great stay, especially since it didn't cost us much to purchase the points we needed for two nights. I would say this hotel is in the $75-110 range.

• Liked — Price, quiet, clean, beds
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank RedHeadGo
San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 15, 2008

The Holiday Inn Express in Port Charlotte was very nice. I had a balcony room. It had a microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator, iron and board. The balcony was very large. It over looked the lake. The continental breakfast was better than I expected. Many items to choose from. The staff was very friendly. The bed was very comfortable and I did not hear any other guests while I was in my room. The dehumidifier was a bit loud, but I was able to turn it off. I just turned it back on in the morning. I would definately stay there again.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank WSWA
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2007

very large room, unfortunately very loud air con, although not disastrous. efficent checkin, just off interstate. great choice of breakfast. free internet computer in lobby - very handy for those without laptop. free newspaper in reception.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank nickss1
Nashvegas
Reviewed December 28, 2006

Stayed here over a 4-day weekend for Christmas 2006, and I was very impressed. The HIE was remodeled after the hurricanes of summer 2005, and it's still holding up nicely. Our room was clean and fresh when we arrived, with the A/C and dehumidifier running. The dehumidifier is a wonderful idea, especially in south-central Florida. The beds no longer have those disgusting hotel bedspreads. Instead they use duvets and covers, and when I was walking down the hall one morning, I saw housekeeping actually changing them between guests. Hooray! The bath has adequate toiletries, though I thought they smelled like the lobby's morning cinnamon rolls, which I didn't care for. The shower has a curved rod for extra room and new adjustable heads for water strength and direction. Finally, the breakfast was okay with the rolls, cereals (hot/cold), some fruit, yogurt, beverages, and coffee. Overall, this was a great stay at a great (newer) hotel. I paid $99/night through Travelocity, which was about average for hotels I checked from Sarasota to Fort Myers over Christmas, but I'm sure it would be less if it weren't a holiday, or if you booked through one of those hotel booklets you get off the interstate.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple