“Dont judge a book”

Description: (941) 629-0727
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
“Dont judge a book”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My daughter and I decided to try this hidden gem. From outside the strip mall it seems dingy... that is deception at its finest! We have eaten there several times since. Food is always stellar.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank dayzedmom

Punta Gorda, Florida
“Excellent in everything”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner there tonight for the first time. It is located like most Thai places, located in a strip maii. However the decor is very nice, the employees very friendly, service quick and efficient and the food Excellent. We had three dishes and they were great. This standard Pad Thai was excellent, the duck superb, the beef tasty, and the Satay good. From beginning to end the food service and atmosphere was enjoyable.
Would highly recommend to anyone

1 Thank Pinkfloyd7
Punta Gorda, Florida
“I really enjoyed this restaurant.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Had dinner at this restaurant with friends a week ago. I really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. I can't say that I am a "Thai" food expert, but have everything was fresh and very tasty. I had the spring rolls and Volcano Shrimp, very good. Everyone else enjoyed their meals also. I will eat here again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank bettyc219
“If you like Thai food eat here.”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

The food was excellent the service was average but I found that the portions are very small like the place itself. You get absolutely no extras with your meal is just the basic entry which is very very good but not enough to really fill a average person's stomach. I would not go back and I don't recommend it to anyone unless I know they absolutely love Thai food.

Port Charlotte, Florida
“We know Thai, and this ain't it”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I'm really sorry to say that we believed the TripAdvisor reviewers on this one. Usually they don't steer us wrong.

The decor and the fact that our server seemed to speak Thai boded well for the restaurant's authenticity. We've been all over Thailand and have eaten at many of the best Thai restaurants up and down the eastern seaboard, including Orlando and Tampa, but the Thai Cafe doesn't even deserve to use the word "Thai" in its name.

To start, Bill ordered the tom ka talay, which should have been a light coconut-milk soup with vegetables, fish, and lemongrass. It was heavy, overly creamy, and loaded with salt, and had one overcooked shrimp, some imitation crab, and a lonely mussel floating in it. Our friend ordered the crabmeat soup, which featured more of the imitation crab, as well as a lot more salt than it needed.

Okay, maybe we could hope for better with our entrees. Our friend had fried rice as an entree, with which I guess you can't go too far wrong. Bill loves whole fish and cooks small red snappers whole at home all the time. They're always loaded with a surprising amount of fish. So, he ordered the whole red snapper in garlic sauce. I had wanted the jumbo grilled shrimp, was told they didn't have it, and ordered the shrimp hot pot instead. My shrimp were all tough and overcooked, sitting atop a mound of clear noodles in an overwhelming brown sauce.

After picking around optimistically in his red snapper for a good while, it eventually became clear to Bill that there was NO fish flesh in there. Plenty of vegetables sporting a real red-snapper head and tail, but for market price at $25.95, he might have hoped to get some fish to eat. When he pointed this out to the server, her response was, not an apology, but an insulting implication that he had gobbled up what fish there was and lied about it: "You eat fast!" They took off some of the charge for the fish, but any decent Thai restaurant would be ashamed to serve up a fish head, tail, and vegetables, call it a whole fish, and charge anything for it. For all we know, the head and tail came out of the garbage, and somebody else got the fish flesh in their seafood curry.

The tab came to over $52 with tip. We were, of course, kicking ourselves, because we could have had a much better meal just about anywhere else. Long John Silver's perhaps?

We won't return and will advise several other friends, who often go out for Friday dinner with us, not to go here either.

Bill would venture to guess that the owner(s) are not Thai. No Thai would serve like anything like that; they are justifiably proud of their cuisine. Vietnamese and Chinese should stick to their own cuisines and not try to imitate the real-deal Thai cuisine. He allows as how he's never had a meal that bad, ever!

• Visited June 2012