“Not a bad hotel”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Port Charlotte
Indianapolis
“Not a bad hotel”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We needed this hotel for a last minute stay for a funeral. The rooms were well appointed and the service was okay. I had requested 2 queen beds and they had it listed as 1 king. When I said this to the attendant she was a little terse when she said "well I don't know if we have any". She located the room we needed and all was okay after that. Breakfast was okay. I preferred the Sleep Inn across the street from my previous visit to the area

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This place was gross. Location is nice but is very close to road so you get lots of noise/lights from the cars. The rooms don't allow you to pull the curtains all of the way across the windows so you can't even block the lights if you want to.
A/C unit is controlled by the wall thermostat. Doesn't allow you to make the tempature go below 69 degrees.
Elevators - Beware they will scare you as the jerk all over the place and make loud popping noises as you slowly move between floors.
Video cameras? - On every floor pointing down every hall. Made me feel safe but also made me question why they were there in the first place.
Pool/Hot Tub. - Gross. After a long day of travel I thought a hot tub sounded great. Only to find out that the water was about 85 degrees.
If I were to do this trip over again I would go with a bigger brand at the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the road.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GoodTimes3232
PrashantCX, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
In response to the curtains, this is simply untrue. We have a sheer AND a blackout curtain that completely blocks light from entering the room. The elevators have no issues, are on a monthly service contract, and do not "jerk" the passengers around at all. They are on cylinders and are physically incapable of shifting from side to side, unlike older elevators operated by cables. In response to the cameras, they have been there since the construction of the hotel for the security of our guests. We have never had any issues, which I believe is attributable to our extensive security measures. In reference to the hot tub, you are correct. The heater at the time of your stay was not operable. Since then, we have ordered a brand new heater for our hot tub, and it will be in operation within this week. I do apologize for the inconvenience of the hot tub, but do feel that the other mentioned reviews are very inaccurate and should stand corrected.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a nice, affordable hotel. It's located just north of Punta Gorda, and is only about 50 minutes from RSW (Fort Meyers Airport). The comp breakfast is the standard Country Inn affair, but it's a great way to start the day without having to head out to breakfast off site. It's near lots of shopping. The people working there are very helpful and friendly too. All in all, a good value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ginnyw777
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Let me first say that we have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and never had a problem until this last stay. We booked the hotel months in advance and booked a suite. When we arrived we just dropped off our bags and went over to family. When I left the room I noted a strong smell but just wrote it off to stale air and switched on the A/C. When we came back for the night I still noticed the smell and located it to the bathroom and out into the hall. The smell was that of a over flowed toilet. I asked the front desk for a different room but the only one that was available was the one just across from the elevator and I declined because of the noise. I asked to be downgraded to a regular room because they had no other suites. The did down grade my room but charged me walk in rack rate not the rate I would have been given if I had originally booked the room. I explained that I should have been given the lower rate as the dirty room was not my fault. The manager that next morning wanted nothing to do with making it right with me so I paid and left. I called the day manager when I got back home to again be given a batch of excused that never addressed the fact that I was given a higher rate than I should have been given. I would not recommend this hotel based upon how I was treated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lvtovacation
I apologize for your issues with the hotel. We have thoroughly inspected your original room and were unable to discover any kind of odor coming from the room. Also, the room which you were offered has never had any noise complaints from the elevator, and we believe it would have been very suitable for you to move to as it was the exact room type that which you were originally in. Finally, your discrepancy with the rate is rather confusing, because we did give you a discounted rate for the room. We hope you will give our hotel another chance, as we would enjoy the opportunity to show you our great hospitality.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed the weekend of Jan 4,13 as I was visiting family while I was in town. I always stay at Country Inn's as they always have friendly staff and have above avarage hospitality. However I have to say not at this Country Inn. I arrived at the hotel about an hour early for check in. When I got to the desk to see if I could check in I was greeted by a gentleman (unfortunately I can't remember his name) who didn't seem to be to happy that he was working. When I asked if I could check in early he replied with a " yeah I guess you can check in" He didn't once look up to make eye contact or say hello. I know first hand what it like to work behind a front desk as I have done it years ago and at times it can be stressful. However you should greet each guest and make them feel welcomed. Our room was great and the bed was comfortable.The only thing about the room is the walls are very thin I could hear the next rooms tv at 3am. Breakfast the next morning was good they had plenty of things to choose from. But there was no one there to greet us. The lady only came out to fill her own coffee cup and went back in the kitchen and closed the door. Any other Counrty Inn we have stayed at the breakfast hostess was out in the breakfast room greeting guests the kitchen door was open so if she needed to go in she was available if you needed her.The same man that checked us in also was there for check out Once again I almost felt like I was bothering him by stopping by the desk. He didn't ask how our stay was. He didn't seem in the least bit interested in even being there. The hotel could really be a great place to stay if they would train their employees to be friendly and talk to the guests and make them feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Daphne, Alabama
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed the night of Christmas Eve and called ahead to ask if any restaurants in the area would be open for dinner and was given the nearby Applebee's phone number to call myself, where a discount is offered with room key. It's a bit odd to get to this hotel from I-75 and adjacent to the back side of the hotel is a retail fireworks business, which made me a bit uneasy.

Upon check-in, the clerk wasn't sure if breakfast the next morning would be held during the weekday hours or holiday hours, which vary by an hour. I said it seemed he should know the correct answer so he could tell guests, but he didn't and seemed irritated at my question. The breakfast hostess and front desk clerk really worked hard to replenish items and I thanked them for being so pleasant in doing their job on Christmas Day morning.

I called the front desk when the light/fan in the bathroom wouldn't go on and was told that the master switch in the hallway next to the door into the room had to be on in order for the bathroom light/fan to work. What kind of electrician wires switches like that? The slippery bathtub did not have a non-slip mat and I was terrified of falling. There was updated tile and granite in the bathroom, but the grout was falling out or had bad mold all around the tub. The bathroom sink was cracked and it took a long time for water to drain. There was a hole in the drywall from the robe hook after the door had been pushed open too hard. Why hadn't the housekeeping supervisor submitted work orders for all of these issues to repaired? Or do the hotel owners not care?

Scruffy and a little scary are the words that come to mind to sum up this hotel, so I won't stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
PrashantCX, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I apologize for the issues that you experienced here during your stay. It is our staff's #1 priority to please all of our guests, and I will diligently work with them so that the issues you experienced do not come up again. We hope that if you come into the area again, you will give us another chance. Some of the issues you mentioned are already on our books to be taken care of a.s.a.p, so that they do not further inconvenience anyone. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have another chance at making you a happy customer.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for a few days over the holidays while visiting family. We arrived very early (9:00am) on the day we were supposed to check in. We have been turned away by some hotels for arriving this early, but when we arrived at this hotel, they quickly accommodated us, and had the room that we reserved already ready. We were able to check in early in the morning, which is often not allowed at many hotels.
The room we reserved had two beds and a pullout couch, making the entire room very spread out and roomy. There was a microwave, mini fridge, and a safe in the room. The bathroom was bigger than most other hotel rooms.
The maid was also very great. She had the room clean every day, and provided all new, fresh towels, and soap/shampoo everyday, which sometimes does not happen in these types of hotels.
Overall it was a great hotel, the hallways were clean, the elevators ran smoothly, and all the staff was very friendly.
We did not have a chance to have the breakfast provided by the hotel, but it smelt great every morning.
The hotel is right off of I-75, and is surrounded by many restaurants, convenience stores, and there is also a couple of shopping plaza's right down the road.

We found the cheapest price to be right from countryinns.com, rather than expedia or any of those other travel websites.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Days Inn Port Charlotte
Days Inn Port Charlotte
#4 of 8 in Port Charlotte
Hampton Inn Port Charlotte / Punta Gorda

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Charlotte? Share your experiences!