“Great Lunch But Not So Great Dinner”

Baja Chowder and Seafood
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant several times. You can sit outside on a covered patio by the water or you can sit in an air conditioned inside space. The service has always been good. The prices are reasonable. I usually eat there for lunch and have tried a variety of things - all of which were pretty good. But a couple of nights ago four of us had dinner there. Two of us ordered the fish and chips. They are not the traditional fish and chips - which might have been stated in the description on the menu, I'm not sure. But the fish was very thin strips and it was some type of fish that had a very "fishy" taste. We did not even eat most of them. The "chips" were good. Another person in our group ordered the crab cakes which he said were OK. Not great, not bad, but just OK. This experience probably explains why there was no waiting list on Saturday night. So, I will definitely go back for lunch but probably will not return for dinner.

Norman k, Owner at Baja Chowder and Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you Molly for your review. We truly appreciate your constructive feedback and will certaintly share it with our team as we continue to grow. If you are ever unhappy with any menu item order, please ask to speak with a manager so we may quickly address your concern and remedy your situation during your visit. We want to ensure that you enjoy your time with us, and all things we hold dear --food, family & friends, and overall fun.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We sat right next to the water. Watched dolphins and looked at a cruise ship. We live locally so we see that every day and it is not enough to make us return to this restaurant. I had blackened crab cakes. They didn't taste blackened, but they sure did taste SALTY!. The coleslaw was edible, but it was served in a plastic covered cup. Also on my plate was white rice with a few black beans on top and two bites of plantain. A dining companion had the fish basket. I would bet the fish was frozen. Another dining companion had the tilapia which was over-seasoned. The server was pleasant but forgetful (not unusual in the area). The portions seemed to be about half the size of what you would receive in any other restaurant in the area. I felt we over paid even with the BOGO coupon we had. In light of the Monday BOGO coupon, it seemed odd that when we walked in there were only a few other diners. Not worth it. We left hungry.

Thanks for alerting us to this. We will investigate the concerns you have raised. We work hard to offer good food and friendly service, and I’m sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We parked our vehicle and after looking at Trip Advisor reviews were actually headed to another restaurant. There was a very nice gentlemen standing outside of the Baja Tavern and as we walked past he started telling us about the menu and encouraging us to give it a try so we did. I had the Lobster Roll and Lobster Chowder. The roll was very good but the Lobster Chowder was some of the best I've ever eaten. Our waiter Jeff was very personable and attentive. If I'm fortunate enough to visit again before we leave the Orlando area I'll definitely ask that we have him as our server. There was live music playing and the general atmosphere was wonderful. The only downside is view. There's a lot of construction in the area and besides being on the water, which is always a huge plus for me and seeing the porpoise the scenic view wasn't very scenic. At least the Baja Tavern had an atmosphere that helped to make you feel you were on a beach side vacation.

We are known for our award winning chowder, so we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed it! If you're ever in the area again come back and see us. We'll have a bowl of chowder waiting for you.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We were a party of 5 ages from 72 - 18 and some none fish eaters. We were all pleased with what we got, from shrimp to chicken it was all very good. there is a wonderful view and it was a Friday night and they had live music.

Thank you for your feedback Florita. What could we have done better to earn a rating of 5 from you?

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I don't usually like to do bad reviews but this is one you have to know about. I ate at this restaurant twice in the week I stayed in Cocoa Beach. The first time was a very good experience. Don't be fooled by the exterior. This is right next to Rusty's in Port Canaveral. The food was surprisingly good and creative. The lobster cream appetizer was the best. Deserts were really good too.
When we went back on Friday for the lobster special ($15.99) we were very disappointed. The lobster has no flavor, was tough and barely warm. It was obviously cooked well ahead of time and sat in barely warm water until served. The appetizers and deserts were still really good though.
So my advice is to try the place but avoid the lobster special.

Thank you for your recent visit to Baja Tavern and Eats, Jim. We appreciate your patronage and honest feedback. If you are ever unhappy with any menu item you order such as the lobster, please ask to speak with a manager so we may quickly remedy the situation during your visit. We want all of our customers to enjoy their Baja expereience as much as we do. Cooking a fresh, new lobster while ensuring the flavor was to your liking would've been an easy fix for us!