“Delicious catch of the day, eager to please”

Baja Chowder and Seafood
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Cape Canaveral, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious catch of the day, eager to please”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We found a good deal by visiting their website and even a better deal when we visited them. I like my fish blackened with spices and the waiter was helpful enough to take one of the preset menu dishes and apply it to the 'catch of the day' which was grouper. For starters we tried their chowders, one clam and the other lobster. Not only was the food delicious but we had wharf side seating so we could watch some port traffic. The waiter was attentive but not overbearing with it. Later we had a special treat when we saw the special seasonal light-show next door. The only tip I could make for improvement, is to offer a small house salad or veggie side item when a patron buys an entree.

1 Thank rko153

Indiana
“Great service, cute little place, good fried clams, great music!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

After an experience nearby that left us hungry we were actually bound for another place & Baja Tavern and Eats caught our eye. Cute little bar feel with seats on the Port overlooking the cruise ships Beer special on a sign & scan of the menu sealed the deal.

Michelle greeted us like we were family and made this a fabulous visit! Ask for Michelle! Now this is one of those places you might see on TV as a step above a 'dive.' Michelle assured us she was new there but had enjoyed everything she has tried.

We settled on steamed oysters and fried clams plus cold Florida Lager local beer. The oysters were on the small side but good. The fried clams were very tasty. Michelle checked on us often as Mickey floated by (you know, a Disney cruise ship).

A band was setting up in the attached bar and Michelle told us the female singer was great. She was right. After what was to have been a late lunch it was already 5 PM and we moved to a table in the outside covered bar and Michelle followed to continue to give us fabulous bar service - and I will be doing so while not missing a beat with her other tables.

Good food, maybe not great but solid, outstanding service making us feel like regulars, great music and a nice view. Yes, we will go back

Titusville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific Food,Service & View”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We frequent Baja Tavern as much as we can, as we are local, this is quite often. We had followed the owners from their previous restaurant (Chowders) in Rockledge, Florida. The seafood at Baja is always fresh, and delicious. The service is awesome, the staff knowledgeable about every item on the menu. If you are lucky enough to get there on a Monday evening, they run a BOGO on dinner, with the purchase of 2 beverages. The last time we were there our server was Laney. She absolutely made the entire evening a special occasion, with her upbeat attitude, friendliness and professionalism. This particular evening, they had a huge Christmas party going on in the bar area, but the service never missed a beat. Could not ask for anything better, great service, great food, great view right on the water, in clear sight of the many cruise ships that call Port Canaveral their home. Would highly recommend!

Merritt Island, Florida
“Love Baja's!!!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I and grandchildren we out by the Exploration Tower and decided to have a bite to eat. They recommended Baja Tavern because the children could sit by the water. They have a great kids menu. Plenty of food they really could have shared. My grandson thought calling chicken fingers thumbs was hilarious. The other two had shrimped and loved it. I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich and loved it. It is the best I have ever had. My husband is a fish lover and really enjoyed the fresh fish, I think it was tilapia. Service was great and the owner or manager made a point of coming over to our table to ask about everything.

Brunswick, Georgia
“Hole in the Wall...In A Good Way..”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We sat at the bar, had a draft beer, and talked to "Mean Gene" for a bit. Gene, one of three brothers who own the joint, filled us in on the history of the place. (I'll let you go there & hear it for yourself!) After much discussion, I chose a Grouper Basket and my other half had Baja (house) salad with seared Tuna on top. The salad was huge, with a few cucumbers, tomatoes and onions on it, along with a healthy portion of some excellent Tuna. He quite enjoyed it. My Grouper Basket was decent, but the fish was in smaller nuggets, and a bit overcooked. The fries served alongside were, well, fries. What can you really say about fries, unless they are somehow outstanding, which these were not....

Baja has live music outside on the deck most nights, and they offer drink and food specials nightly; on of the most popular (as told to us by many locals) is their $12.95 Maine Lobster Tail. We did not try this, as it wasn't offered the night we were there, so can not vouch for how good it is. They also have a V.I.P program for regulars, offering 10% off food and beverages. It is free to join, so make sure you do it!

We most likely will go back for a drink and some music, but not sure about the food.

Visited November 2013