“Great Anniversary Weekend!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
georgia
“Great Anniversary Weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We are on our way home from the Lodge and Club. We had a great time. The staff was wonderful. They helped us make dinner reservations and get a cab for dinner. Breakfast was delicious. We enjoyed time just hanging out and shopping at St. Johns. This was our second anniversary at the Lodge and we will be back!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Central Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Family member played in golf tournament in the area. Best about this place was service and every room is beach front. The associates were all great. Lots of little touches that made it special. As we rode up the elevator to the second level, they evidently notified someone we were on our way and when we got off the elevator, someone greeted us by name and directed us to our room. We were in a suite that had large living area, kitchenette, king size bed and huge bathroom. I sleep at home on a memory foam mattress so sometimes hotel mattresses are a nightmare for me. The king size bed was very comfortable. They also provide different size pillows for the fussy sleepers. The kitchenette was equipped with tiny frig suitable for just a few items and had a microwave. There was a small deck overlooking the beach that had room for two or three people. The rooms have very high cathedral ceilings with ceiling fans. The day we arrived it was chilly so I decided to turn on the fireplace. It was gas and I could not get it to start. I called the front desk and they told me there was a switch on the wall to turn it on. I found the switch and still no gas to start the fire. They sent a maintenance man to our room and he got it going, He said the pilot light blows out sometimes if the door is kept open. They somehow have it set up so if the switch is turned to off, there is no gas coming into the fireplace. He got the fireplace burning and it lasted about an hour and shut off. I was told that is a timing mechanism. I decided it was too much trouble to use it again. The day warmed up and we didn't need it. We were in room 431 which was a long walk back to the restaurant and lobby. If your room number is in that area, don't try to carry everything yourself. It wasn't the perfect flawless facility, perfectly landscaped, etc. but for a golfing and beach area with great service, good sleep, and good food, it is a place I recommend. There is a very small gift shop in the lobby, a bar area on second level overlooking the ocean and the dining area provides a panoramic view of beach and ocean. Evening entertainment was a solo guitar player. There is a place that is well suited for people who want peace and quiet. They have valet parking, so if you want to leave the hotel, best to call the desk before you leave your room and ask to have them bring your car. Again, one of those nice touches, the valet brings bottles of water to you to take with you on your drive.
The dining room is on average, $30 for dinner, not including a bar tab. I only ate at the hotel so cannot make any recs for restaurants in the area. This place is small, quiet, private. If you have children coming with you, I would ask about nearby grocery stores, things to do for kids. I did see lots of surfing in front of the hotel and many people walking their dogs. At night the hotel has a big log fire facing the beach and you could see people looking for crabs. Hope they were all carrying poop bags to keep the sand clean. It is also about 30 minutes drive to St. Augustine which is a lovely town to visit for historic photo ops and also there are some big outlet malls for the shoppers. I visited the Brighton store there on my way home and found a couple of handbags I have bought full retail that were on sale for 40% to 60% off.

Room Tip: Try for the larger suite for longer stays because of the kitchenette and living area. The higher th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jessica M
Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

From the moment you drive up and are met by the valet, you know you are someplace that values service and old-fashioned courtesy. They unpack your car and deliver everything to your room, which is spacious and romantic with all the comforts expected. Nightly turn down with seashells and chocolates, breakfast and high tea on the premises. And of course the views and sounds of the ocean from your bedroom are simply wonderful. Of course the spa just up the road available by shuttle or a pleasant walk is a nice addition to your vacation. There is golf nearby and lots of other activities, but the place is so lovely we were just as content relaxing on site.

Room Tip: Just ask-I think all rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
west hartford, ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay and appreciated the attentive staff. Thank you. The food was excellent. I do think there should be a coffee table set up in the morning! That said, I was impressed with the property and beautiful views. It's not the best place for kids since there is only an adult pool yet the staff was very friendly toward them.

• Stayed November 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm taking 10 weeks I love this place it is pure luxury!! Love the staff most have been here since I've been coming down. Extremely friendly and very professional. The rooms are large and very we'll done. The bathrooms are as big as some hotel rooms, Microtel I just did a review of one of their facilities. Beach is beautiful and not crowed nor is the pool. Food a little expensive buy very good. High tea at 3.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CRLoveToTravel
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

After reading the glowing reviews about this place, we were looking forward to what sounded like a dream hotel. After being there, I cannot fathom people saying this place is better than a Ritz or any other 4 or 5 star hotel I have stayed at.

I am sure this place was nice --like, 25 years ago. Now, it looks tired, it feels tired, it smells tired.

Pro's:
Right on the beach. Lovely! We were there during the week when it wasn't busy, so the place was generally quiet. The staff was very nice and friendly. That's it. Those are the good points.

Con's:
Where to start:

The room: though it had a ocean view and that was awesome, the negatives far outweighed the beautiful setting. The smell: it was so mildewy and musty it literally woke me up at night. I bought some disinfectant spray and that seemed to help a small bit. The bathroom had a huge, globby spider web right by the door that was gross. How could someone possible miss this when cleaning? Everything looked and felt dated and worn. A corded phone by the commode? Really? When was this place last renovated. Everything felt like it needed a good scrubbing from the upholstery to the doors.

We stopped at the lounge and thought we would try the food there before committing to dinner at the lodge's restaurant the next night. The same kitchen services them both. We had a plate of three appetizers. The lobster cheesy selection was inedible. It smelled and tasted like the lobster hadn't been rinsed. The waiter walked past me with a tray of food for the restaurant and it smelled like 5 day old fish.

We had two beach chairs and an umbrella from the hotel. That is a great way to enjoy an afternoon. However, I can only guess the last time the chairs were cleaned. The arms were so moldy, sticky and gross, I was glad to have two towels to try to cover the areas up. Ew.

The area itself is pretty boring. We had hoped to have some nice restaurants and shops to visit. Well, thank goodness for Ruth Chris steakhouse because it was the only highlight of our trip, besides the beautiful ocean. Maybe there are things to do in other parts of Jacksonville. But near the hotel, it's pretty much a big zero unless you golf.

The only reason I am taking the time to write this review is to hopefully help someone else who is thinking this place is going to be better than some place such as a Ritz to think twice. This place is pricey. We were very disappointed after people compared this place to five star hotels. I don't get it --not a bit. It is great that so many people love it and find it a wonderful place for a retreat or for a vacation. But for me, it simply did not live up to the reviews --not even close.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank gardenger
Summit, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is an excellent place to stay if you are looking for a relaxing getaway. My husband and I went for a Fr-Tuesday kid-free vacation and it was just perfect. There is not much to do around, so I wouldn't recommend to stay longer. The Lodge is great, our room #325 was perfect: nice, large bathroom, balcony looking out on the beach and king size bed. The staff couldn't be more attentive and friendly. The housekeeping was superb, actually the best of any place we have ever stayed. The beach is amazing: perfect for lounging and long walks. The water is warm and the sand is soft. The nice thing about the beach is that it is covered in shells, which makes for great sea shell hunts as you walk. We ate breakfast at the Inlet twice and it was ok, not fabulous, but not horrible either. The Oasis was ok as well, too expensive for what it was, but convenient. One thing I didn't enjoy was the drinks at the Oasis. We have ordered $45 pitcher os Sangria, and it was very disappointing. There were a few berries floating in it, it tasted of cheap white whine and the volume was laughable: we got 2.5 drinks out of the pitcher as mostly it was ice. Not tasty at all! Drinks overall were a hit or miss, I guess depending on the bar tender. At times they were great, at times I couldn't drink them at all. I didn't get to experience the spa as a day before the day I planned to go, they didn't have any availability, so make sure to book well ahead. Overall, this is a great place to stay if you are looking for a nice and quiet getaway. We enjoyed the beach so much, we are starting to look for a winter home to buy here.

Room Tip: Get the ocean front room, the views and sounds are unbelievable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalya P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,376 reviews
Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oce...
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach? Share your experiences!