“What a vacation should be”

The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
Longwood, Florida
“What a vacation should be”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

From the moment you drive up and are met by the valet, you know you are someplace that values service and old-fashioned courtesy. They unpack your car and deliver everything to your room, which is spacious and romantic with all the comforts expected. Nightly turn down with seashells and chocolates, breakfast and high tea on the premises. And of course the views and sounds of the ocean from your bedroom are simply wonderful. Of course the spa just up the road available by shuttle or a pleasant walk is a nice addition to your vacation. There is golf nearby and lots of other activities, but the place is so lovely we were just as content relaxing on site.

Room Tip: Just ask-I think all rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
west hartford, ct
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay and appreciated the attentive staff. Thank you. The food was excellent. I do think there should be a coffee table set up in the morning! That said, I was impressed with the property and beautiful views. It's not the best place for kids since there is only an adult pool yet the staff was very friendly toward them.

• Stayed November 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm taking 10 weeks I love this place it is pure luxury!! Love the staff most have been here since I've been coming down. Extremely friendly and very professional. The rooms are large and very we'll done. The bathrooms are as big as some hotel rooms, Microtel I just did a review of one of their facilities. Beach is beautiful and not crowed nor is the pool. Food a little expensive buy very good. High tea at 3.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CRLoveToTravel
Atlanta
Reviewed October 3, 2013

After reading the glowing reviews about this place, we were looking forward to what sounded like a dream hotel. After being there, I cannot fathom people saying this place is better than a Ritz or any other 4 or 5 star hotel I have stayed at.

I am sure this place was nice --like, 25 years ago. Now, it looks tired, it feels tired, it smells tired.

Pro's:
Right on the beach. Lovely! We were there during the week when it wasn't busy, so the place was generally quiet. The staff was very nice and friendly. That's it. Those are the good points.

Con's:
Where to start:

The room: though it had a ocean view and that was awesome, the negatives far outweighed the beautiful setting. The smell: it was so mildewy and musty it literally woke me up at night. I bought some disinfectant spray and that seemed to help a small bit. The bathroom had a huge, globby spider web right by the door that was gross. How could someone possible miss this when cleaning? Everything looked and felt dated and worn. A corded phone by the commode? Really? When was this place last renovated. Everything felt like it needed a good scrubbing from the upholstery to the doors.

We stopped at the lounge and thought we would try the food there before committing to dinner at the lodge's restaurant the next night. The same kitchen services them both. We had a plate of three appetizers. The lobster cheesy selection was inedible. It smelled and tasted like the lobster hadn't been rinsed. The waiter walked past me with a tray of food for the restaurant and it smelled like 5 day old fish.

We had two beach chairs and an umbrella from the hotel. That is a great way to enjoy an afternoon. However, I can only guess the last time the chairs were cleaned. The arms were so moldy, sticky and gross, I was glad to have two towels to try to cover the areas up. Ew.

The area itself is pretty boring. We had hoped to have some nice restaurants and shops to visit. Well, thank goodness for Ruth Chris steakhouse because it was the only highlight of our trip, besides the beautiful ocean. Maybe there are things to do in other parts of Jacksonville. But near the hotel, it's pretty much a big zero unless you golf.

The only reason I am taking the time to write this review is to hopefully help someone else who is thinking this place is going to be better than some place such as a Ritz to think twice. This place is pricey. We were very disappointed after people compared this place to five star hotels. I don't get it --not a bit. It is great that so many people love it and find it a wonderful place for a retreat or for a vacation. But for me, it simply did not live up to the reviews --not even close.

7 Thank gardenger
Summit, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is an excellent place to stay if you are looking for a relaxing getaway. My husband and I went for a Fr-Tuesday kid-free vacation and it was just perfect. There is not much to do around, so I wouldn't recommend to stay longer. The Lodge is great, our room #325 was perfect: nice, large bathroom, balcony looking out on the beach and king size bed. The staff couldn't be more attentive and friendly. The housekeeping was superb, actually the best of any place we have ever stayed. The beach is amazing: perfect for lounging and long walks. The water is warm and the sand is soft. The nice thing about the beach is that it is covered in shells, which makes for great sea shell hunts as you walk. We ate breakfast at the Inlet twice and it was ok, not fabulous, but not horrible either. The Oasis was ok as well, too expensive for what it was, but convenient. One thing I didn't enjoy was the drinks at the Oasis. We have ordered $45 pitcher os Sangria, and it was very disappointing. There were a few berries floating in it, it tasted of cheap white whine and the volume was laughable: we got 2.5 drinks out of the pitcher as mostly it was ice. Not tasty at all! Drinks overall were a hit or miss, I guess depending on the bar tender. At times they were great, at times I couldn't drink them at all. I didn't get to experience the spa as a day before the day I planned to go, they didn't have any availability, so make sure to book well ahead. Overall, this is a great place to stay if you are looking for a nice and quiet getaway. We enjoyed the beach so much, we are starting to look for a winter home to buy here.

Room Tip: Get the ocean front room, the views and sounds are unbelievable.
1 Thank Natalya P
Vilano Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is really getting to be old hat, the Lodge and Club always delivers on it's promise of service. We've stayed here several times over the years, even after we bought a house 25 min. south of the Lodge...I've seen other reviews that indicate folks have had issues that did not live up to expectations, and I don't doubt them , but it's never happened to us. We just returned from a long (Thurs-Sun) weekend trip there, and once again the staff made the experience great for us. Our room was ready when we arrived, and the folks at the front desk recognized us by name and seemed truely happy to see us return. The bell staff had our bags in the room and waiting for us when we got there, I still have no idea how they did this so quickly...With the morning grooming each day, the beach has gotten better over the years...great for long walks. Once again I can't recommend this enough...and no, I don't work for them...

Room Tip: Ocean Suite was our best choice, overlooks the pool and beach...large room, fireplace...enjoy
1 Thank JohnA51
Berkshire, England
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We suffered from staying here on a public holiday weekend but even so the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.
The room was great, with a fantastic bathroom and a nice patio outside with an ocean view.
Places are never at their best when operating at full capacity but this was fairly ok. Only gripe would be, with a storm imminent and having placed an order for dinner in the oceanfront patio restaurant, the only response to "what do we d if it rains" was to provide some plastic trays. Maybe a more considered strategy is needed here.
Beach is fantastic and you can walk for miles or swim/surf.
Rooms described as ocean view vary from full frontal to limited view.
Overall really enjoyed this facility though there are few alternative dining facilities within easy reach and none on foot.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a high floor true ocean front
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank merv1955
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach? Share your experiences!