“Luxuy on the beach”

The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
Virginia
“Luxuy on the beach”
Reviewed January 10, 2008

This is a fine resort on the Atlantic coast that will not dissapoint. The only reason I gave it 4 stars, instead of 5, is that housekeeping could have done a better job of cleaning our room (I don't think they vacuumed once). But, other than that, our stay was practically perfect. We stayed from December 30 - January 3. We got an extremely low AAA rate of $270 per night for an oceanfront king room. I'm sure the same room is at least double that amount in high season. The rooms are very spacious and quiet (although we did hear water flowing down through the pipes on occassion from our upstairs neighbor and heard our next door neighboor a couple of times). The ceilings are high, with exposed beams and a ceiling fan. We had a balcony and window seat. We couldn't open the mini bar fridge b/c it was locked and they didn't provide us with a key, but the turn down service provided us with bottled water, chocolate, and pretty seashells (nice touch and souvenirs for us). The bathoom is the largest I've ever had in a hotel - double sink, with granite countertops, and a huge garden tub, with a separate walk-in marble shower. Shower pressure could have been stronger, and I initially had difficulty getting the right temp on the H2O. They had very good toiletries, which were usually replenished every day. Towels were nice and fluffy. The bed was a little firm, but comfy. Service at the hotel was pretty good. I worked out at their gym (it's included in your $18/day resort fee), which is a decent size and has adequate equipment. He had "high tea" one day - the finger sandwiches were great and so were the cookies (scones were a little burnt). The resort is located in a very upscale area. I believe it's actually a club to which many locals belong. Recommendations on what to do in the area (besides go to the beach): (1) 30 minutes to the south is St. Augustine (a charming city; visit the old town, el Castillo de San Marcos - the Spanish fort, Flagler College, and Lightner Museum - all are easily walked to; had fabulous fresh shrimp at the White Lion pub), and (2) 10 minutes to the north is Jacksonsville Beach (we had New Year's Eve dinner at Giovanni's, an excellent Italian restaurant - the chocolate hazelnut cake was to die for!).

• Liked — The huge bathroom
  • Disliked — Failure to vacuum by housekeeping
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lawahoo2001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2008

The Lodge has set a new standard in my book for property quality and service. The staff was flawless, consistently gracious throughout our visit. The room (the Premium Oceanfront) was delightful, no expense spared to produce a couple's ultimate hideaway experience. The small touches (lavender bath salts, exceptionally comfortable robes, bathroom candles)

• Liked — Premium Oceanfront Room
  • Disliked — Moderate pool area
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank avidtraveler08
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Just stayed the one night, but can tell you this is a beautiful property. November is nice for beach walking, a fire at night in your room, and low crowds. The staff is excellent, so very accomodating and totally unpretentious. The dinner restaurant could have been better, again excellent service and staff, but the meal was just ok. We are from New Orleans, so the bar is set high. Too much rich sauce and fuss, and menu needs updating. Less would be more. Canned music should go, sounds like your parents' music, and we are 50ish. The prices were surprisingly moderate. Lunch was pretty good outside on the deck. All in all a great property, just need work on the food. Rooms are outstanding.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Debra1500
Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed there in celebration of our wedding (i won't say honeymoon because it was only 1 night, and I anticipate a real one in the future). They greeted us as Mr and Mrs (which was totally cool), and brought a complimentary bottle of champagne and strawberries and chocolate to the door shortly after we arrived. The room service was fast and thorough, even asked us where we wanted him to set up our dinner arrangements. I cannot say enough about the atmosphere. It was like a dream, and I really do cherish this memory. If you have the opportunity, please try, it was the best I have ever experienced.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarahsmurfette
New Hampshire
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We stayed at the Lodge and Club for three nights in April 2007 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We booked a deluxe oceanfront room with a king-size bed.

The room itself was beautiful. We had a balcony with two chairs/table that sat right over the beach, a very cozy little bench/seating area near the window also looking out onto the beach, and french doors that opened towards a fountain/courtyard. The room was spacious and comfortable, and had a gas fireplace that provided wonderful ambience. The bathroom was downright decadent - huge, with marble and granite; it had two sinks, shower, and a tub with jets. Everything was meticulously clean.

The housekeeping staff cleaned the room twice a day. In the morning they cleaned and replaced everything that had been used. They cleaned again during the turn-down service, which included chocolates and laying out of robes and slippers. Each night a different shell with a note saying thank you and describing the shell was placed in the room. It was a welcoming experience to come "home" to each night.

The staff is extremely eager to help. There are bellstaff to bring your bags up, shuttle you to the sister property (The Inn and Club at Ponte Vedra, which is where the spa and golf are located) that's about 1.5 miles north, keep your golf clubs (and retrieve them when you need them). The concierge and front desk were similarly helpful with whatever requests we had. Room service was also excellent (we only used room service for breakfast, though).

The grounds are - again - spotlessly clean and well-manicured. My wife and I don't usually splurge to this extent (the nightly room rate was about $424) so we're unaccustomed to this level of service, amenities and attention to detail. The beach is beautiful. There is a very nice-looking workout/fitness center that we didn't use and two pools (one for adults, one for kids and adults) that we also didn't use.

The Lodge has "high tea" between 3 and 4pm with a nice selection of teas, scones, light quarter-sandwiches and some cookies. My wife and I enjoyed this quite a bit. They also have a happy hour between 5 and 6pm, although we didn't get to try this out.

My wife got a facial and manicure at the spa one day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. She believes she has gotten better at a spa locally near us (although that's quite a nice spa) but she liked the experience enough that she said she would do it again.

I played golf twice - once on the lagoon course and once on the ocean course. The lagoon was a pretty nice course, although I thought the greens were in a bit poorer shape than one expects from a course of that cost $160-ish). The course is going to be closed in May, 2007 for about 6 months for a complete re-do. I had planned to play the lagoon again (because I just couldn't stomach the cost of the ocean course) but the starter, in trying to get everybody started on a busy Saturday, ended up putting me on the ocean course for no extra cost. It is a spectacular track - if you're inclined to pay that kind of money ($240-ish) for a round, I would say that the course probably will not disappoint you. However, realize that the "ocean course" does not play on the ocean at all - it's entirely on the western side of Ponte Vedra Blvd - still, it's a very well-conditioned course.

My comment throughout our stay to my wife was that the only thing I could find to complain about is the price (even that was tongue-in-cheek, since I knew what I was getting myself into price-wise). The entire experience was everything we could have asked for in a 20th anniversary experience, and we are already looking for an excuse to return.

• Liked — Clean, attentive to detail, elegant - frankly, everything just about perfect
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChrisNH
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed April 10, 2007

This hotel was beautiful. Room amenities included marble bathroom with large soaking tub and separate shower, fresh flowers, bathrobes and twice daily maid service. We had room service the first night of our 4 night stay. The food was fabulous (and expensive). We also ate one lunch at the hotel and that was not as good. The service at that meal was pretty slow and the chicken in a sandwich and in the caeser salad was quite dry. The exercise facility (across the street) was very nice and had child care. Our 5 year old asked to go back the next day to see Miss Bebe because she was so nice. It was pretty cold so we didn't use the pools much but they looked nice.
Overall an outstanding property!

• Liked — Beautiful room
  • Disliked — food was inconsistent, some good some not
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynn_from_WI
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed March 27, 2007

We spent 2 nights at the Lodge and had a wonderful time, enjoying their prime beach location, a room with a gas fireplace and whirlpool tub, and fine restaurant. Not only is the restaurant good, but we had several excellent and graciously presented room service meals that were delivered in under 30 minutes. There's an exceptional wine list distinguished by it's variety the the most diner-friendly prices I've ever seen at a restaurant, including some great bottles that one would pay more for in most retail stores. Don't miss an opportunity to go to the spa at it's sister property up the street, The Inn. It's wonderful and elegant and I wish I was there right now! Attentive personal service and luxurious surroundings are what the Lodge is all about.

• Liked — Being pampered in beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DougDude
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach? Share your experiences!