“I really want to LOVE this place...”
Review of Barbara Jean's

Barbara Jean's
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Whenever we go to PVB, we always go to Barbara Jean's. I really want to love this place. The atmosphere is nice and family friendly, and I love sitting outside on the waterway. The staff is always very friendly and the food is consistently good. But, I honestly don't "love it." It is just okay to me. I think that Lulu's has them beat a bit on price and in quality. But, we still always go and enjoy it. I appreciate that they allow children to stand on the deck and feed the fish. We will return next time we are at the beach for sure!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

This outpost of a small regional chain, sits on the inter coastal waterway and has both indoor and outside deck seating. The weather today was nice and we headed there for lunch on the deck. The menu features both seafood and traditional homestyle items, but please, don't come for the meat loaf or pot roast. The specialty is crab, either in the soup or delicious crab cakes. You ca get the cakes in a 5 or 7 oz. size, either as standalone appetizer, salad addition, or as an entree with sides. We opted for the crab topped salads. Both made for perfect summer lunches. There is a full bar with easy on the wallet pricing. Service was friendly and attentive. My only major gripe is the parking lot. It's big enough but, is mostly dirt mixed with crushed stone. Hard on the sandals or flip flops and sure to be gloppy after one of the frequent summer downpours. Other than that, this is a nicely located, unassuming, friendly place with a nice menu.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The fried shrimp were pretty good but the vegetables were very good. Very affordable and varied menu so everyone should find something they want.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Casual and comfortable place. Great for kids as they can feed the fish. Nice outside seating when weather permits. Lump..yes lump crab meat in their cakes, awesome. She crab soup was delightful as well as other items on the menu. Be prepared for a long wait on summer nights. Best to go off season but so make this a stop. Prices very reasonable. Service very good and friendly.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Barbara Jean's. The restaurant is comfortable, casual, and has something on the menu for everyone, with great views of the river. You can sit inside or outside. We were immediately seated at a table with a great view of the river and brought a bread basket filled with yeast rolls, pumpkin bread, and jalapeno corn bread - all homemade and all delicious. Great southern sweet tea! I ordered the buttermilk battered fried shrimp, my daughter got the seafood platter, my husband had grilled chicken with southern veggies, and my son had pot roast -- all homemade, and all delicious. You must try the "chocolate stuff" for dessert - somewhere in between a brownie, a pudding, and a lava cake, served warm and covered with soft whipped cream. We will definitely be back!