“Crab and Desert to Die For” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barbara Jean's

Barbara Jean's
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Crab and Desert to Die For”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

For the lovers of crab patties and chocolate deserts, this your place. Great crab patty platters and sides. The favorite desert is known as "Death by Chocolate" and it is one sweet way to go!

Visited January 2013

jax beach
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Atmosphere is great- god- not”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We've been to BJ'S several times. The breakfast is the best dining experience. Although we love sitting on the water the flies are pesky interferences of pleasure. When dining inside they may also be seen there too. This is a big turn off. Although the southern style food can be appealing at times, the filth we encountered during our visit persuaded our brains to this everything was disgusting. Can be quite crowded making service poor. Heavy meal choices. Don't go if you want to eat a healthy meal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Jacksonville, Florida
“I Can't Take It Anymore...We Will Not Return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have been eating at Barbara Jean's for over 6 years on a weekly basis. We have noticed in the past 2 years that the service (servers, management and kitchen staff) has gotten progressively worse. But the view is beautiful and we enjoy sitting outside in the nice weather.

Today was my last meal at Barbara Jean's. My fried catfish had very little fish and a lot of batter so I was not pleased. My husband's chicken fried chicken was old chicken and he requested they exchange it. The second dish was greasy and just as bad as the first one. I walked up behind the server when she was showing the food to the manager and she was being critical of us. The manager was staring at me and never warned her that I was behind her and could hear her. He also never spoke to us, to ask how the meal was or even said goodbye when we walked past him in the parking lot where he was working on the gate to the garbage dumpster. Since they only had 5 tables in the restaurant, I guess he was not needed in the dining area. Most restaurants have a manager bring the replacement meal to the table to make sure the customer is happy. That has never happened at Barbara Jean's.

The servers were spraying an aerosol cleaner on the walls just 2 tables away from us and scraping the wall with a knife. The spray kept making me cough and was obviously on my food. Business was slow at noon, so I guess they decided to clean the dining area.

There are many examples in the past year or so where we were ignored at our table outside for more than 15 minutes before the server came to take the order and it was not busy at all. We usually go to early lunch and early dinner when business is still slow.

I assume that this family owned business would care more about their regular loyal customers, but I feel certain that they will not notice that we don't return nor care about the loss of business.

In regard to the food, the prices are reasonable and 60% of the time, all of the food is good. But as I stated before, it has gotten worse each visit in the past year and I will not return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JJdiving
Chicago area
“What a wonderful patio and fabulous crab cakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We really enjoyed the patio seating here on an unusually warm January evening. Really appreciated that good seating was available for wheelchair diners. Went on the recommendation of locals we met on the beach and they were correct in their assessment of the crab cakes. Very much Eastern style with a TON of crab and just enough other stuff to hold it together. They were delicious. Each of us had a small salad, which normally would be a large salad anywhere else, and we shared the peach cobbler for dessert. The BJ's Blue salad was great, chock full of fruit, veggies, and bleu cheese. The cobbler was sublime with good old fashioned real whipped cream. Hope to go back before we go home. The server was delightful.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Very crowded table areas, but good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Food was good no doubt. But its a small place and lots of people are often crowded into it. Better to go at an off time rather than suffer the inconveniences of popular times. Tables and seating seem undersized possibly to take advantage of any available floor space.

Visited August 2012