“Ho-Hum”

Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
Newnan, Georgia
“Ho-Hum”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Recently, we had the pleasure of staying at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf and Spa.

Firstly, the hotel is beautiful and we are enjoying ourselves.

I had a problem that I needed to bring to management's attention. I had called the "At Your Service" line on the telephone the afternoon of the prior day (Friday) to inform them that I had a shirt that I needed dry cleaned for Saturday, late evening. The gentleman (and I don't recall his name), informed me that I should put the shirt in the dry cleaning bag, fill out the slip, and he would send a bellman up to retrieve it. After a half hour, I called back, informed him that no one had come to pick up the dry cleaning, he apologized and said that he would send someone up right away. It is now going on 1:45 pm, a new day, and the dry cleaning still sits in the bag waiting on someone to pick it up.

Admittedly, I am very detail oriented and have high expectations, but this is just simply a lack of communication. Now, I have a shirt that I have to wear twice because no one came to pick up the dry cleaning. If this service is offered, it should be administered, not just advertised.

Lastly, our sheets under the sheet/duvet cover is a stain. This is absolutely disgusting and unacceptable in my opinion. I called and asked for the Manager on Duty, was told they were busy and would call me back, but yet again, I have heard nothing.

This hotel is great at "looking the part," but poor at execution. As a Platinum Elite member, I expect more in a Marriott property, and I am sure that you do too.

The response that I received was horrendous. Marriott Corporate needs to examine this level of service recovery. The GM responded timely and expressed his concern that this was the worst experience I have ever had, given my frequent travels. He advised that he would be in the office in the morning, should I wish to discuss the matter further. The statement that I still can't believe was mentioned to me that was should I return to the Jacksonville area, he hopes that I will find other Marriott properties. There were no efforts to get me to return to his hotel!!

So, in summation, they are satisfied with the status quo, lack of follow through, and poor housekeeping--I can find another Marriott location in Jacksonville next time I'm there. Unbelieveable. No attempt at service recovery. I am appalled, will not be returning, and encourage others that if details and cleanliness are important to you, there are better options in the Jacksonville, according to this GM. Never have I had a GM respond is such a nonchalant way. Disappointed beyond belief. Marriott can and has done better. Believe me.

Given all that had happened, I did finally speak with the Assistant Front Desk manager when I called to complain that it was 5:00 pm and my room hadn't been cleaned. He got on it and saw to it that the room was cleaned, but I shouldn't have to wait until 5:00 to have my room cleaned, especially traveling with small children. Additionally, due to the inconvenience, he provided me with some bonus Rewards points, but I had to jump through what seemed like so much red tape just to speak with a manager.

Room Tip: A room facing the lagoon is beautiful, but can be loud if there is an event down below.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us again with your concerns. Your feedback is critical to us, as it is only through the eyes of our guests that we have the opportunity to focus on any areas that may require attention. We are grateful that you gave us the opportunity to address the areas you've mentioned and it was my understanding that our MOD had overcome some of our service pitfalls. We couldn't be more disappointed that after thanking us for our ‘open, transparent communication’ and that you would return as a loyal Marriott customer, you no longer feel this way. Please be assured that it is always our goal at the Sawgrass Marriott to have all of our guests return and return often. It is our hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and provide you with the level of service and hospitality that our property is known for. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Travelling through Florida from Key West in the south we arrive in northern Florida at TPC Sawgrass. The golf course was on my bucket list, read my review of it, however we had not arranged accommodation. Given this was the closet accommodation to the course we tried our luck. First impressions are important and I can attest for an excellent first impression. The staff at the entrance were exemplary. Very polite and nothing was too much trouble. Reception was clean and staff were more than helpful. They were proactive in making suggestions to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable. The room we were given was outstanding, great view over the gardens, very clean and well appointed. There is also a free shuttle to and from the golf course and golf bookings can be made at the golf shop in the motel. The restaurant was not outstanding but had good food with a reasonable variety. Not only is great for golfers, but there was plenty of none golf activities to do from a great swimming pool to wonderful garden walks. Would I come back again most definitely and would recommend it to anyone, golfer or not. If I had any concerns it would be with the breakfast staff there was a couple of waiters who did have a bit of attitude, but I will put it down to having a bad day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for your great review and recommendation of Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. I couldn’t be happier to learn that you enjoyed such a positive and memorable experience from the beauty of our resort all the way to the exemplary service of some of our associates. Our resort offers access to the some of the country’s best golf at TPC Sawgrass but also numerous activities for those seeking other options including our outdoor pools, Spa, private Cabana Beach Club and so much more. With surprises and amenities at every turn, we hope you will visit us again to enjoy even more of what we have to offer.
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for one night on a deal. Had a 1st floor room overlooking pool - not their best room. Bit tired decor wise but contrary to other reviews quiet. We did not eat there but had drinks in the coffee shop which was souless. The location of the Starbucks was pointed out to me on check in - is this something to be proud of in a 4 star hotel? Would not make a detour to go to this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We strive to provide luxury accommodations and stellar service from check-in to check-out creating the ultimate getaway experience for our guests. While it seems as though you enjoyed a good value, it is disappointing that you did not experience a truly exceptional stay and I regret if any aspect of your visit did not meet your expectations. Many guests appreciate the comforts of home while visiting including our full service Starbucks as one of those familiar pleasures. I appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider another stay in the future so that we can fully impress you with our offerings.
fort myers
Reviewed June 1, 2014

After a significant renovation and update, the grounds of the property and the villas are gorgeous! It used to be that I would refuse to stay in the villas (if booking Priceline or another 3rd party site, because that was the "discount" area, I guess) due to the poor quality of the rooms; however, now this area is amazing and I would prefer it over the main tower due to the privacy and quiet. As always, the lush surroundings of the resort are my favorite feature, and finding a place to relax outdoors is easy. The restaurants and other public spaces received a much-needed facelift as well, and Vernon's is stunning. The private dining area provided the perfect atmosphere for our executive retreat dinner, and the service (especially Mabrouk) was excellent. No complaints here. A couple of observations: I passed the same dirty room service tray outside a room close to mine in the villas for the first two days of our stay, and a few of the group's rooms weren't cleaned until 5:30p the first night. The only other disappointment we encountered were the woefully sparse appointments in the newly renovated hospitality suite. Very few utensils, glasses, etc. No paper towels, no large trash can, only two hand towels in the bathroom. Just a strange set up for a hospitality suite, being used as a meeting room for 3 days. For $300 a day, we really expected a bit more. Otherwise, the service was good, we enjoyed the facilities and still consider this one of our favorites places to stay in Jacksonville.

Room Tip: Villas are now my first choice!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ax1
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is always a pleasure to welcome our guests to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. I am truly grateful that you've reached out and shared your impressions with us. From our lushly manicured public spaces to your dining experiences, it is rewarding to know that you are happy with so many aspects of our property. Our resort has indeed recently experienced a full renovation in all areas. I must apologize for any of the inconveniences you notes in your review, and will use your comments to reinforce our high level of service in housekeeping and all areas. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Just left this hotel, in the middle of last night. For the second night it was so noisy. Our assigned room, over looked the lagoon. That was the best part of our visit. Unfortunately, rooms in this location of the hotel also over look the large atrium, and as sound echoes, all the party noise of that location are heard in the rooms. After our first night, we advised the ,"at your service", personnel. They apologized, and stated it will not occur again. That we should call the desk, and security will see that the loud people, are made to quiet down, or leave. Then last night, with a sweet sixteen party, the noise level was extremely loud, this was now 11:30 P.M.
We called the desk several times, at midnight we were unable to sleep, due to the noise, so we packed out bags and left. As this was a Marriott property I was shocked, by management lack of concern for the guest that required to actually need sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel until, they can correct their issues
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sydel5
Thank you for taking the time to detail your encounter. It is truly disappointing to learn of your stay. Please accept my deepest apologies if your experience was not excellent in all ways as what you have described is not what we would hope for any of our guests. Our associates strive to provide the very best in service to and it is disappointing to learn of any inconvenience you may have encountered or if the sounds from other guests was a disruption to your peace. We want nothing more than to provide a comfortable stay and I regret that this was not your experience. If you would like to discuss your encounter in greater detail, please reach out directly.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you are playing at TPC, you only have this property and the Hilton Garden INN and at this price point, you should have a great experience. From a distance, the place looks great just don't look too close at the dirty room service dishes that do not get picked up for 2 days or the lack of ice machines close to your room or the resort fee for WHAT?? or having a suite with a small kitchen with no dishes and having to go to reception to SIGN out dishes and utensils. The good part is the private beach club and pool that is 2 miles away that Marriott guest can use. If you are here for golf, save $$ and stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I must apologize if you were not fully impressed with what our resort has to offer during your recent golf trip or if some areas were not at their best. We do charge a resort fee that covers many amenities from complimentary Internet to unlimited local and domestic long distance calls, access to our spa and group fitness classes, two bottles of water and two complimentary cocktails, $50 credit toward a private lesson at the TOUR Academy and even more. I apologize if you were not able to take full advantage of our offerings during your visit or if you were unaware of the charge associated. Please know that a full description of all of our fees can be found online and during the booking process as we never want any of our guests to feel misled in any way. If you are here for a golf outing, we also provide exclusive access to tee times at the TPC Sawgrass and the legendary Stadium Course. Your comments regarding the dishes will be shared with our Housekeeping team. I invite you to reach out directly if you would like to discuss your stay further. We hope you will consider another stay in the future.
Brandon, Mississippi
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were in town for the PGA Players Championship Tournament in Ponte Vedra, FLorida. The golf course was right down a beautiful path from the hotel. You walked right up to hole # 10! The hotel was beautiful inside. The staff were prompt and the most courteous people we have seen at a hotel. Especially John at the valet parking. He called us by name everytime we walked up and was so helpful and accomodating. The room was very nice, clean, great view, and looked over the downstairs bar area. The only problem we had was the hot water. You had to let the water run for 10-20 minutes before it got hot. The desk said the hot water heaters are so far away from the rooms and this happens. Once you knew this, you turned on your water way before you were planning on taking a shower. Then it was fine. Their restaurants were wonderful! We especially enjoyed sitting outside for lunch and looking at the waterfall and the golfers trying to play a hole the hotel had built. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and high praise for our hotel. The Players Stadium Course at is ranked among the top 80 golf courses in the world according to Golf Magazine and the PGA Championship is always such an exciting time here. With great golf, hospitable service and comfortable accommodations, I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!