“Another amazing trip!”

Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have been fortunate enough to travel and play golf at some of the finest golf courses the US has to offer and when we chose to come to TPC at Sawgrass and subsequently stay at the Marriott last year, it was a bit of a bucket list item. When we were deciding where to go this year, it was no longer a bucket list thing to do, it was an opportunity for us to share the Sawgrass experience with new friends. The service level within the resort and at the courses is unparalleled. From the moment you arrive until you are leaving, the entire staff is just happy to have you there and they truly want each and every experience you have to be memorable.
It all starts with girls like Melissa P, our contact at the Marriott and one of the golf booking coordinators. She is a friendly, amazing girl who can almost accommodate every wish. We booked our trip back in November and up until the week that we were leaving, she was continuing to tweak our tee times to get them as close to what we wanted as possible. It was truly appreciated and in the end, we were ecstatic about the times we ended up with.
The front entrance guys are great, they will look after your car, your luggage, clubs, you name it. Need to get down to the Beach Club, they'll take you. Need to get out for dinner, they'll take you. Getting to the golf course is easy as well as the shuttle will pick you up at the main building or in our case over at the villas.
The front desk girls are accommodating and since we'd been there before, there really wasn't much to ask for help with. I did stop by and ask for 4 coffee cups....lol...since there were none in the room. They were there before we returned. Upon checking out, we had 4 guys who just wanted to 'chop' the bill up, it was seamless and easy and took less than 2 mins. The bill was simple and easy to read.
Daniel in the golf shop at the Marriott was great as well. We were rained out on Saturday and were scheduled to play somewhere else on Sunday. We wanted another crack at the Stadium. He looked at the tee sheet and within 5 mins had helped move some people around and freed up a spot for us. Pretty amazing actually!
We stayed in building 1100 of the newly renovated Villas. It was beautiful and clean and our small patio looked out onto the 14th tee of the Stadium course. Just a truly relaxing time each morning with coffee and at night with a cocktail. The view of the stars didn't hurt either.
As for the golf course, I truly believe that the Stadium course is one of if not the finest golf course I've ever played. Just for some perspective, I'm approaching playing 50 of the top 100 courses in both the US and also in Canada. I do not make that claim lightly. The only setback was the fact that the PGA was forced to shut down 5 greens the day before our visit in order to protect them for the Players. That meant playing on 5 temp greens. The proshop was frustrated and apologetic but they needed to follow the direction given by the PGA. As frustrating as it was, they offered each golfer in the 4 some a $200 gift card to redeem any where at the course from the proshop to drinks and meals. At $800 a foursome and a full tee sheet, it amounted to $28000 per day that they were comp'ing. It wasn't perfect but it was a gracious gesture. Once on the course, it really didn't make that big of a difference. The fairways are so tight that to cut them and put a flag in the ground wasn't difficult and to be honest, the surface was comparable to what you'd find on a mid caliber muni. We played again on Sunday and were given another gift card. We were speechless to say the least. The fact that we chose to play it again, just shows how much we think of the golf course itself. Our caddie was Bill M and he was a card. We had him for both days and enjoyed his company and stories as well. Tom Gross is another amazing caddie if you get the chance to make a request.
One thing to note for people who think this is just a golf vacation destination, it's not. Let me reassure you that it reminds me of Hilton Head Island, SC for those of you who've been there....only with better service......lol. It has everything from pools to mini golf to a spa to access to a private beach club right on the ocean. Fine dining is either at the hotel or a short shuttle ride over to Ruth's Chris or Pussers (a local place), also The Aqua Grill is right across the street and is an outstanding place to eat!! I may actually bring my family down before I get the chance to go back on a golf vacation!
Overall, the only question left open was 'when are we going back?' The 2 guys that saw the golf course for the first time were blown away by the service and can't wait to go back and try to beat the Stadium again. We'll look forward to our next time!

Room Tip: All the rooms are renovated but for a little extra, the Villas are the place to stay. 1100 building...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Your amazing review truly leaves us speechless, thank you. I am honored that a visit here to Sawgrass has always been one of your bucket list items and that it exceeded your expectations on every level. Knowing of your extensive golfing experience and reading that you found the TPC course to be the finest you have played is a huge compliment. Our resort, as you mentioned, while known for golf, also provides all you need to enjoy a fully relaxing stay from our private Cabana Beach Club, spa, fitness facilities, pools, complimentary shuttle service and more. What really stands out to us in your review, however, is your appreciation for the service our associates provided to you and your group throughout your stay. Our newly remodeled Villas were designed for our guests’ comfort and the spaciousness they provide is a perfect fit not only for your golfing group but also for families. Your feedback will be shared with everyone here, particularly those you mentioned by name. It would be our privilege to welcome you back again to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa soon.

There are newer reviews for Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed in one of the updated villas- building 1200. We were very impressed and loved it! The rooms were beautiful and bathroom shower awesome. We enjoyed the kitchenette, but did find it odd that there were no utensils, plates etc...
The grounds were beautiful. We spent time at the pools, hot tubs, restaurants and the beach club. We did not have to wait very long for the shuttle. It was a very relaxing vacation for my family!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing feedback of your time at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. I love to hear when our guests appreciate such a wonderful experience. Everyone here really does enjoy creating the ultimate relaxing encounter for all who visit and your acknowledgement of our efforts is of great value to us. The convenience of our complimentary shuttle service is always such a welcome treat for our guests. I do hope you will visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to have you.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Sawgrass for three days...bellstand staff was AWESOME! They transport guests to restaurants and the beach! ! Shawn, Mark, Phil, and Devon--- Thank you for making our stay even more relaxing and enjoyable! !

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. It is such an honor to know that you found our associates to be so helpful and that they all helped in contributing to your positive experience. We want each and every one of our guests to feel well cared for, and I am glad that you experienced our efforts first hand. I will be certain to share your kind words with everyone here. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I knew this was going to be challenging trip when reservations got complicated. Upon arrival, the bell hops were extremely helpful. However, the front desk check in was not. They did not explain anything other than how to walk from the parking lot to our room. Mind you, there was no one in line behind us, so what was the rush? They were eager to hand us pamphlets or circumvent the answers for each question we asked. And I'm not just talking about sightseeing. Note the resort fee is charged separately as an incidental, so we were a little surprised when the initial bill did not match the final one.

For the resort fee, we got two 10oz bottles of clean tap water and Wi-Fi Internet access, which was spotty at best in our room, and it took over 20 minutes for us tech savvy guests to initially connect. They do include a round of beers (or wine) at their on-site pub, which was a great experience. They have an ample selection of craft beers, including many local breweries. It was nice not to be limited to yellow, fizzy suds. Needless to say, we enjoyed more than our complimentary round at surprising affordable prices.

Upon arriving at our room, we were shocked when we immediately saw our view, or lack thereof. We paid for an upgraded “Lagoon View” room and instead got a “Big Oak Tree View” room. Only on the thin porch shared with neighbors (no room even for a chair) could we see obstructed views of the main pool and lagoon through the many leaves on the 50-year plus aged tree. When I inquired with the front desk about this bait-and-switch room, they gave us the run-around to avoid transferring us to a better location. We would have been better off saving our money and getting a parking lot view which would have overlooked the well laid out gardens and spa area and pool.

While the recent renovations clearly showed in the main lobby and restaurants in the hotel, the rooms definitely were not. Almost everything in the room is outdated. The art and furniture pieces were so mismatched; they seemed to be randomly picked at a discount warehouse. There are two phones in the room, however only one of them worked (and not the one by the bed). And surprisingly, no alarm clock. The shower-head nozzles are green and gross. The towels are so rough and thin, I thought we were at a Motel 6. And the list goes on. The double doors to the bathroom were very elegant; however the gap between them is big enough to squeeze a paperback through (maybe that’s by design). I will compliment the most important piece in the room, the bed. It was extremely comfortable for my wife and I with plenty of pillows and plush comforter.

Moral of the story is the Marriott is a great place to stay when your eyes are closed. Our expectations were just too high upon hearing of the renovations made last year. We would recommend staying at the newer Hilton Garden Inn, also on the Sawgrass grounds, and visit the Marriott for its amenities with free parking to all.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your candid feedback. Nothing is more disappointing than to learn that an overall guest experience was lacking or if the views from your guest room were not as you had hoped. I deeply regret if you felt that our staff did not provide pertinent information regarding our hotel, on-site restaurants or any other aspect of our facilities. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result. As you mentioned, we do charge a resort fee. This fee is detailed during the booking process but we apologize for any lack of clarity. Guests can enjoy some amazing activities and amenities including complimentary water and cocktails as well as access to our spa and group fitness classes, $50 credit toward a private lesson at the TOUR Academy and even more. The issues you encountered with regard to your guest room will be shared with our management team. The valuable feedback you have shared will be used, as all of our guest comments are, to help our staff further improve upon what we do. It is our sincere hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you back and impress you with a stellar guest experience.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I read some reviews on Yelp and many complained about the property being old and run down. Then I read the Trip Advisor reviews which were much better. I don't know if they had renovations in the past year but the property seemed to be nice and up to date.

We stopped for a day on our way back to the Jacksonville airport. This hotel is expensive but I was able to get a reasonable rate that included a $50 resort credit. I was surprised when my confirmation included a $20 resort fee but it was well worth the money.

Walk into the hotel and you face a glass wall overlooking a small lake, waterfalls, swimming pools, etc. The view is stunning! Our room had the same view. They light the waterfalls at night with changing color schemes.

We took the shuttle to the Cabana Beach Club which is very nice. Pool, dressing room, pool bar, restaurant, beach activities were first class. We enjoyed an outdoor lunch overlooking the ocean for about $25. We shared 3 hors d'oeuvres ( lobster strudel, conch fritters, crab porcupine) for dinner at Vernon's wine bar. They were half price during happy hour so our lunch and dinner were almost covered by our $50 resort credit. Not a bad deal if you ask me. They also gave us a coupon for 2 free drinks that we used when we sat at the fire pit at Alice & Pete's bar in the evening.

The hotel gave us a short golf cart ride over to TPC Sawgrass. A storyteller in a red jacket met us inside the clubhouse and gave us a tour. The clubhouse is exquisite. It includes TPC championship trophies, photos, and memorabilia. The storyteller told us the history of the course and showed us views of the course from the balcony. Then she took us in the golf cart to see a few holes including the famous island green at #17. This was certainly a nice unexpected bonus.

Room Tip: Our room faced the waterfalls which was wonderful. We didn't pay a premium for this but that mi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

What a wonderful getaway experience you have shared, thank you! It is always our pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and to learn about all they enjoyed while staying with us. From your account, it certainly does not get much better! Whether you are here to play a few rounds of golf at TPC Sawgrass or just relax at our private Cabana Beach Club, pools or spa, our resort has something for everyone. Tours of the TPC course can not only be educational and interesting, but such a great way to take in the picturesque beauty of the area. Our entire property has indeed been through a recent renovation and we are glad you enjoyed it. It is our hope that you will come back for another great stay soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I booked the Sawgrass for a get away weekend, primarily for my wife. I was especially interested in the spa offering for my wife who was really in need of some pampering since she is a veterinary surgeon and spends 10 hours a day bent over a surgery table and has for the last 28 years.

I have not previously written a review on our stay in fairness to the management company who queried me upon our return asking for comments on our stay. Our stay got off to a very rocky start even as we pulled into the parking area and was exacerbated by a total mess during our check in procedure. While it took some time, the back of house staff made everything just fine and we experienced a relaxing stay. I felt that I should respond to the hotel in regard to their query and as I've spend most of my time in and around the hospitality business I thought I might make a contribution to them in private rather than a public review of our stay. I did this with a fairly detailed report on our experiences and my observations.

My requested comments were submitted some weeks ago and I've not even had the courtesy of an aknowledgement let alone a comprehensive reply.

Thus, I've not reviewed this property because I'm not certain that I've been fair but more importantly, I believe, if any of what I detailed to them is accurate, they need to have the opportunity to correct it. I am bothered by the fact that apparently the management company has made no effort to reply and this is my greatest criticism of our stay.

John H.
Bluffton, S.C.

Room Tip: Before you make a room selection, obtain a site map which details venues and services of which you m...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the opportunity to reach out to us. While it is not entirely clear in this forum as to what transpired during your stay, or where your initial comments were shared, I ask that you please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you encountered, both during your time with us or through any subsequent communications. We always hope to resolve any issues quickly and regret if that was not your experience. Please feel free to contact us directly to discuss your concerns in greater detail as we truly do care about your encounter.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a 1 bedroom Vila (1507). The main room was huge and nicely furnished. Beautiful view overlooking a lake. The downside was the bedroom and bathroom. Very poor planning. The bedroom was so tiny I had to keep my suitcases in the living room. You hand to close the bedroom door in order to open the bathroom door. It was a very weird set up. The bathroom was also very small and absolutely NO counter space. I had to put my makeup and hair supplies on the closed toilet lid. Very annoying and the air conditioning sounded like a jumbo jet taking off every time it went on.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Roseann E

Thank you for sharing your impressions of our hotel. Whether positive or otherwise, we value the feedback of our guests. While I am happy to know you enjoyed the views from our villas, I do apologize if you were not fully impressed with your accommodations. In addition to our Villas, we also offer luxurious guest rooms at our resort. If there is anything we can do to help make your stay more comfortable, one of our associates is always available to help. Your comments regarding the air conditioning will be shared with our maintenance team to ensure that all is at its best for future stays. We hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!