I have been fortunate enough to travel and play golf at some of the finest golf courses the US has to offer and when we chose to come to TPC at Sawgrass and subsequently stay at the Marriott last year, it was a bit of a bucket list item. When we were deciding where to go this year, it was no longer a bucket list thing to do, it was an opportunity for us to share the Sawgrass experience with new friends. The service level within the resort and at the courses is unparalleled. From the moment you arrive until you are leaving, the entire staff is just happy to have you there and they truly want each and every experience you have to be memorable.
It all starts with girls like Melissa P, our contact at the Marriott and one of the golf booking coordinators. She is a friendly, amazing girl who can almost accommodate every wish. We booked our trip back in November and up until the week that we were leaving, she was continuing to tweak our tee times to get them as close to what we wanted as possible. It was truly appreciated and in the end, we were ecstatic about the times we ended up with.
The front entrance guys are great, they will look after your car, your luggage, clubs, you name it. Need to get down to the Beach Club, they'll take you. Need to get out for dinner, they'll take you. Getting to the golf course is easy as well as the shuttle will pick you up at the main building or in our case over at the villas.
The front desk girls are accommodating and since we'd been there before, there really wasn't much to ask for help with. I did stop by and ask for 4 coffee cups....lol...since there were none in the room. They were there before we returned. Upon checking out, we had 4 guys who just wanted to 'chop' the bill up, it was seamless and easy and took less than 2 mins. The bill was simple and easy to read.
Daniel in the golf shop at the Marriott was great as well. We were rained out on Saturday and were scheduled to play somewhere else on Sunday. We wanted another crack at the Stadium. He looked at the tee sheet and within 5 mins had helped move some people around and freed up a spot for us. Pretty amazing actually!
We stayed in building 1100 of the newly renovated Villas. It was beautiful and clean and our small patio looked out onto the 14th tee of the Stadium course. Just a truly relaxing time each morning with coffee and at night with a cocktail. The view of the stars didn't hurt either.
As for the golf course, I truly believe that the Stadium course is one of if not the finest golf course I've ever played. Just for some perspective, I'm approaching playing 50 of the top 100 courses in both the US and also in Canada. I do not make that claim lightly. The only setback was the fact that the PGA was forced to shut down 5 greens the day before our visit in order to protect them for the Players. That meant playing on 5 temp greens. The proshop was frustrated and apologetic but they needed to follow the direction given by the PGA. As frustrating as it was, they offered each golfer in the 4 some a $200 gift card to redeem any where at the course from the proshop to drinks and meals. At $800 a foursome and a full tee sheet, it amounted to $28000 per day that they were comp'ing. It wasn't perfect but it was a gracious gesture. Once on the course, it really didn't make that big of a difference. The fairways are so tight that to cut them and put a flag in the ground wasn't difficult and to be honest, the surface was comparable to what you'd find on a mid caliber muni. We played again on Sunday and were given another gift card. We were speechless to say the least. The fact that we chose to play it again, just shows how much we think of the golf course itself. Our caddie was Bill M and he was a card. We had him for both days and enjoyed his company and stories as well. Tom Gross is another amazing caddie if you get the chance to make a request.
One thing to note for people who think this is just a golf vacation destination, it's not. Let me reassure you that it reminds me of Hilton Head Island, SC for those of you who've been there....only with better service......lol. It has everything from pools to mini golf to a spa to access to a private beach club right on the ocean. Fine dining is either at the hotel or a short shuttle ride over to Ruth's Chris or Pussers (a local place), also The Aqua Grill is right across the street and is an outstanding place to eat!! I may actually bring my family down before I get the chance to go back on a golf vacation!
Overall, the only question left open was 'when are we going back?' The 2 guys that saw the golf course for the first time were blown away by the service and can't wait to go back and try to beat the Stadium again. We'll look forward to our next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the newly renovated Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, we provide guests all the elements for a winning stay. Accommodations at our hotel in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida range from newly refreshed guest rooms, to Premium Service Wing rooms and suites and spacious Villas with kitchenettes and patios, located in two-story buildings clustered around scenic lagoons. A spa, four pools and a variety of indoor and outdoor dining options offer choices for relaxing, indulging and mingling. Privileged access to iconic golf at the adjacent TPC® Sawgrass and to our recently renovated private Cabana Beach Club with dining overlooking the Atlantic ocean are each a quick, complimentary shuttle ride. Genuinely warm hospitality, a casual ambience and pleasant weather year-round await at our beautiful 65-acre resort, just 30 minutes from Jacksonville airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sawgrass Marriott Golf Hotel Ponte Vedra Beach
- Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort And Spa
- Marriott Ponte Vedra Beach
- Marriott Hotel Sawgrass