“Paid for Lagoon View, but got stuck in a tree & Rooms not renovated”

Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Paid for Lagoon View, but got stuck in a tree & Rooms not renovated”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I knew this was going to be challenging trip when reservations got complicated. Upon arrival, the bell hops were extremely helpful. However, the front desk check in was not. They did not explain anything other than how to walk from the parking lot to our room. Mind you, there was no one in line behind us, so what was the rush? They were eager to hand us pamphlets or circumvent the answers for each question we asked. And I'm not just talking about sightseeing. Note the resort fee is charged separately as an incidental, so we were a little surprised when the initial bill did not match the final one.

For the resort fee, we got two 10oz bottles of clean tap water and Wi-Fi Internet access, which was spotty at best in our room, and it took over 20 minutes for us tech savvy guests to initially connect. They do include a round of beers (or wine) at their on-site pub, which was a great experience. They have an ample selection of craft beers, including many local breweries. It was nice not to be limited to yellow, fizzy suds. Needless to say, we enjoyed more than our complimentary round at surprising affordable prices.

Upon arriving at our room, we were shocked when we immediately saw our view, or lack thereof. We paid for an upgraded “Lagoon View” room and instead got a “Big Oak Tree View” room. Only on the thin porch shared with neighbors (no room even for a chair) could we see obstructed views of the main pool and lagoon through the many leaves on the 50-year plus aged tree. When I inquired with the front desk about this bait-and-switch room, they gave us the run-around to avoid transferring us to a better location. We would have been better off saving our money and getting a parking lot view which would have overlooked the well laid out gardens and spa area and pool.

While the recent renovations clearly showed in the main lobby and restaurants in the hotel, the rooms definitely were not. Almost everything in the room is outdated. The art and furniture pieces were so mismatched; they seemed to be randomly picked at a discount warehouse. There are two phones in the room, however only one of them worked (and not the one by the bed). And surprisingly, no alarm clock. The shower-head nozzles are green and gross. The towels are so rough and thin, I thought we were at a Motel 6. And the list goes on. The double doors to the bathroom were very elegant; however the gap between them is big enough to squeeze a paperback through (maybe that’s by design). I will compliment the most important piece in the room, the bed. It was extremely comfortable for my wife and I with plenty of pillows and plush comforter.

Moral of the story is the Marriott is a great place to stay when your eyes are closed. Our expectations were just too high upon hearing of the renovations made last year. We would recommend staying at the newer Hilton Garden Inn, also on the Sawgrass grounds, and visit the Marriott for its amenities with free parking to all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottSawgrass, General Manager at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
We appreciate your candid feedback. Nothing is more disappointing than to learn that an overall guest experience was lacking or if the views from your guest room were not as you had hoped. I deeply regret if you felt that our staff did not provide pertinent information regarding our hotel, on-site restaurants or any other aspect of our facilities. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result. As you mentioned, we do charge a resort fee. This fee is detailed during the booking process but we apologize for any lack of clarity. Guests can enjoy some amazing activities and amenities including complimentary water and cocktails as well as access to our spa and group fitness classes, $50 credit toward a private lesson at the TOUR Academy and even more. The issues you encountered with regard to your guest room will be shared with our management team. The valuable feedback you have shared will be used, as all of our guest comments are, to help our staff further improve upon what we do. It is our sincere hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you back and impress you with a stellar guest experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Macedon, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I read some reviews on Yelp and many complained about the property being old and run down. Then I read the Trip Advisor reviews which were much better. I don't know if they had renovations in the past year but the property seemed to be nice and up to date.

We stopped for a day on our way back to the Jacksonville airport. This hotel is expensive but I was able to get a reasonable rate that included a $50 resort credit. I was surprised when my confirmation included a $20 resort fee but it was well worth the money.

Walk into the hotel and you face a glass wall overlooking a small lake, waterfalls, swimming pools, etc. The view is stunning! Our room had the same view. They light the waterfalls at night with changing color schemes.

We took the shuttle to the Cabana Beach Club which is very nice. Pool, dressing room, pool bar, restaurant, beach activities were first class. We enjoyed an outdoor lunch overlooking the ocean for about $25. We shared 3 hors d'oeuvres ( lobster strudel, conch fritters, crab porcupine) for dinner at Vernon's wine bar. They were half price during happy hour so our lunch and dinner were almost covered by our $50 resort credit. Not a bad deal if you ask me. They also gave us a coupon for 2 free drinks that we used when we sat at the fire pit at Alice & Pete's bar in the evening.

The hotel gave us a short golf cart ride over to TPC Sawgrass. A storyteller in a red jacket met us inside the clubhouse and gave us a tour. The clubhouse is exquisite. It includes TPC championship trophies, photos, and memorabilia. The storyteller told us the history of the course and showed us views of the course from the balcony. Then she took us in the golf cart to see a few holes including the famous island green at #17. This was certainly a nice unexpected bonus.

Room Tip: Our room faced the waterfalls which was wonderful. We didn't pay a premium for this but that mi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful getaway experience you have shared, thank you! It is always our pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and to learn about all they enjoyed while staying with us. From your account, it certainly does not get much better! Whether you are here to play a few rounds of golf at TPC Sawgrass or just relax at our private Cabana Beach Club, pools or spa, our resort has something for everyone. Tours of the TPC course can not only be educational and interesting, but such a great way to take in the picturesque beauty of the area. Our entire property has indeed been through a recent renovation and we are glad you enjoyed it. It is our hope that you will come back for another great stay soon.
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I booked the Sawgrass for a get away weekend, primarily for my wife. I was especially interested in the spa offering for my wife who was really in need of some pampering since she is a veterinary surgeon and spends 10 hours a day bent over a surgery table and has for the last 28 years.

I have not previously written a review on our stay in fairness to the management company who queried me upon our return asking for comments on our stay. Our stay got off to a very rocky start even as we pulled into the parking area and was exacerbated by a total mess during our check in procedure. While it took some time, the back of house staff made everything just fine and we experienced a relaxing stay. I felt that I should respond to the hotel in regard to their query and as I've spend most of my time in and around the hospitality business I thought I might make a contribution to them in private rather than a public review of our stay. I did this with a fairly detailed report on our experiences and my observations.

My requested comments were submitted some weeks ago and I've not even had the courtesy of an aknowledgement let alone a comprehensive reply.

Thus, I've not reviewed this property because I'm not certain that I've been fair but more importantly, I believe, if any of what I detailed to them is accurate, they need to have the opportunity to correct it. I am bothered by the fact that apparently the management company has made no effort to reply and this is my greatest criticism of our stay.

John H.
Bluffton, S.C.

Room Tip: Before you make a room selection, obtain a site map which details venues and services of which you m...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the opportunity to reach out to us. While it is not entirely clear in this forum as to what transpired during your stay, or where your initial comments were shared, I ask that you please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you encountered, both during your time with us or through any subsequent communications. We always hope to resolve any issues quickly and regret if that was not your experience. Please feel free to contact us directly to discuss your concerns in greater detail as we truly do care about your encounter.
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in a 1 bedroom Vila (1507). The main room was huge and nicely furnished. Beautiful view overlooking a lake. The downside was the bedroom and bathroom. Very poor planning. The bedroom was so tiny I had to keep my suitcases in the living room. You hand to close the bedroom door in order to open the bathroom door. It was a very weird set up. The bathroom was also very small and absolutely NO counter space. I had to put my makeup and hair supplies on the closed toilet lid. Very annoying and the air conditioning sounded like a jumbo jet taking off every time it went on.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Roseann E
Thank you for sharing your impressions of our hotel. Whether positive or otherwise, we value the feedback of our guests. While I am happy to know you enjoyed the views from our villas, I do apologize if you were not fully impressed with your accommodations. In addition to our Villas, we also offer luxurious guest rooms at our resort. If there is anything we can do to help make your stay more comfortable, one of our associates is always available to help. Your comments regarding the air conditioning will be shared with our maintenance team to ensure that all is at its best for future stays. We hope to see you again.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We visited over spring break and stayed in one of the beautiful remodeled Villas in Building 13. Just loved the new look and everything was immaculate! It was a fabulous location with just minutes to walk over to the any of the pools or hot tubs, main building, fitness center, spa, and all of restaurants. The grounds are so pretty and we really enjoyed sitting out to enjoy the gorgeous view off the balcony of the villa! All employees we came in contact with were absolutely outstanding and really went out of their way to make our stay great. Megan in Alice and Pete’s Pub was so friendly and the food was delicious! Also had great service at the lobby bar when enjoying a glass of wine. Same goes for Joyce at the Sea Porch where we enjoyed scrumptious fish tacos and heavenly views of the ocean! Vernon's looked really inviting with a fantastic menu and extensive wine list!
Lucky for us the weather was also delightful during our stay and we will definitely make plans to visit again soon!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your stay with us. Attentive, accommodating service is one of our highest priorities and I couldn't be happier to learn that you had such an excellent encounter. Guests can enjoy some amazing and diverse recreation while at our resort and it’s great that you found so much to take advantage of, from our pools to our spa and fitness center. There is nothing quite like savoring a delicious meal and it is wonderful that you had so many varied experiences. Thank you for sharing your appreciation for the attention to detail we have taken in all areas. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort &Spa.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just went down to Ponte Vedra for 4 nights and stayed at Sawgrass Marriot in the hotels villas..they told me the one i was in had just been redone and it was indeed beautiful...spacious and well appointed..with a condo like feel...only two stories high...and a short walk to the hotel..We did the buffet breakfeast which was awesome and visted the on site starbucks often. Staff was great and setting is beatiful would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Try the Villas...doesn't feel like a hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank b d
Thank you so much for taking the time to share details about your experience at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay and found the recent upgrades we made to our property to be so appealing. From delicious breakfast choices to the convenience of our on-site Starbucks, we hope to offer all of the very best to our valued guests. Your recommendation is very much appreciated and we all hope to see you again soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We recently had a ladies weekend at the Marriott Sawgrass. Overall, I think everything was nice. The food at Vernon's was delicious and the outside fire tables were a great place to have an after dinner drink.

We sat poolside most of the time and was I unimpressed with both pools. They were cold, littered with tree debris, and the "adults only" pool was full of children. They had one server on for the patrons and she was very friendly but overworked. We did take the shuttle over to the beach club and it's actually about a 6 minute ride. The pool seemed nice and the view is amazing.

We rented a two bedroom villa and it was lovely. The beds were comfortable and the kitchenette was a nice addition. Note: The kitchen is not stocked at all (all of the cabinets were bare). If you need glasswear or silverwear you need to bring it. For the price that we paid, I feel it should of been stocked.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing feedback of the time you spent with us at Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. I am so happy to know you enjoyed your overall stay for your ladies weekend getaway and appreciate hearing that you found our associates to be so friendly, as providing our very best is important to everyone here. I do apologize, however, if you found any of our pool areas not at their best and will make sure our maintenance associates are aware of your concerns. Your review is of great value to us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!