I knew this was going to be challenging trip when reservations got complicated. Upon arrival, the bell hops were extremely helpful. However, the front desk check in was not. They did not explain anything other than how to walk from the parking lot to our room. Mind you, there was no one in line behind us, so what was the rush? They were eager to hand us pamphlets or circumvent the answers for each question we asked. And I'm not just talking about sightseeing. Note the resort fee is charged separately as an incidental, so we were a little surprised when the initial bill did not match the final one.
For the resort fee, we got two 10oz bottles of clean tap water and Wi-Fi Internet access, which was spotty at best in our room, and it took over 20 minutes for us tech savvy guests to initially connect. They do include a round of beers (or wine) at their on-site pub, which was a great experience. They have an ample selection of craft beers, including many local breweries. It was nice not to be limited to yellow, fizzy suds. Needless to say, we enjoyed more than our complimentary round at surprising affordable prices.
Upon arriving at our room, we were shocked when we immediately saw our view, or lack thereof. We paid for an upgraded “Lagoon View” room and instead got a “Big Oak Tree View” room. Only on the thin porch shared with neighbors (no room even for a chair) could we see obstructed views of the main pool and lagoon through the many leaves on the 50-year plus aged tree. When I inquired with the front desk about this bait-and-switch room, they gave us the run-around to avoid transferring us to a better location. We would have been better off saving our money and getting a parking lot view which would have overlooked the well laid out gardens and spa area and pool.
While the recent renovations clearly showed in the main lobby and restaurants in the hotel, the rooms definitely were not. Almost everything in the room is outdated. The art and furniture pieces were so mismatched; they seemed to be randomly picked at a discount warehouse. There are two phones in the room, however only one of them worked (and not the one by the bed). And surprisingly, no alarm clock. The shower-head nozzles are green and gross. The towels are so rough and thin, I thought we were at a Motel 6. And the list goes on. The double doors to the bathroom were very elegant; however the gap between them is big enough to squeeze a paperback through (maybe that’s by design). I will compliment the most important piece in the room, the bed. It was extremely comfortable for my wife and I with plenty of pillows and plush comforter.
Moral of the story is the Marriott is a great place to stay when your eyes are closed. Our expectations were just too high upon hearing of the renovations made last year. We would recommend staying at the newer Hilton Garden Inn, also on the Sawgrass grounds, and visit the Marriott for its amenities with free parking to all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the newly renovated Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa, we provide guests all the elements for a winning stay. Accommodations range from newly refreshed guest rooms, to Premium Service Wing rooms and suites and spacious Villas with kitchenettes and patios, located in two-story buildings clustered around scenic lagoons. A spa, four pools and a variety of indoor and outdoor dining options offer choices for relaxing, indulging and mingling. Privileged access to iconic golf at the adjacent TPC® Sawgrass and to our recently renovated private Cabana Beach Club with dining overlooking the Atlantic ocean are each a quick, complimentary shuttle ride. Groups appreciate the convenience of over 61,000 sq. ft. of flexible indoor and outdoor event space, including an exhibit area, 2,500-person capacity ballroom, private beach venue and over 36 meeting rooms. Genuinely warm hospitality, a casual ambience and pleasant weather year-round await at our beautiful 65-acre resort, just 30 minutes from Jacksonville airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sawgrass Marriott Golf Hotel Ponte Vedra Beach
- Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort And Spa
- Marriott Ponte Vedra Beach
- Marriott Hotel Sawgrass