“Absolutely fantastic, but prepared to spend the money!”

Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed at the PVI in mid-July. We went as a "gift" from my husband's work because honestly, we can't afford to spend that much per night on a hotel.

I'd heard great things about the Inn because I used to have a lot of clients in Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra. We knew it was a 5-star/diamond resort, so we thought that since we were given a trip as a gift, we'd try it out.

We went on Fri.-Sun. It was very quiet on Fri., but was very busy on Sat. & Sun.

First of all, do not go there unless you can afford it. The rooms and service are worth what they charge, but everything is very pricey, so beware! You are at a 5-star resort! You do not want to stay here for a week if you are average Joe going on vacation. For example, they tack on the 18% gratuity to food, your nightly room cost, etc. It's a nice service, but know this ahead of time.

We went with myself, my husband and our 2-year old. We got an Oceanside room so we could at least see some of the ocean from the room. This was the least expensive room choice with an ocean view. The Inn has rooms that "face" the ocean, but I doubt you can see much of it. I really wanted a room with a balcony, even if it faced the golf course, so that we could put our son to bed at night and hang out on the balcony, but I lost on that one.

Some of the more pricey rooms have refrigerators with the wet bar. If you can, get one of these rooms! If not, bring a large cooler with you. They have ice, which is actually free to guests. I say this because there are only a few restaurant and food choices on site and you'll wear yourself out on them. Not to mention they're very pricey. I had a cheese quesadilla at lunch one day at the beachside diner and it was $16! I knew to expect this from a 5-star resort, but still.

I suggest the cooler or fridge because you can always eat lunch on-site a couple of days and go get sandwich goodies from the Publix down the street for lunch on other days.

Breakfast options include a buffet at around $20/per person (before the $5 OJ), a little gourmet shop that has some pastries and muffins (and a Starbuck's) and the same place with the buffet has an a-la-carte menu, with breakfast options starting around $15.

The only other place we ate on-site was the Seahorse Grille. It was absolutely delicious and there is a great fish tank in there that kids love to look at. Again -- pricey. Expect to pay $28-35/per person, plus drinks.

The beach is wonderful there, but they actually charge $15/day to rent beach chairs, which I think is ridiculous. You would think they'd be complimentary to guests.
Again, bring your own chair. Plenty of people do.

There is a great pool with a slide for kids. The baby pool is great too.
There is an adult-only pool behind the beachside bar, which I could see being great.

Also know that you must show your guest card every time you buy food, drinks, etc. So know that whatever credit card you booked with, all of your other resort charges (other than the gift shops), will go on that card. Food, drinks, etc. There is no other choice. This is how they verify you are indeed a guest or "member" there because this is not a gated resort.

My other advice, besides stocking up on your own snacks and drinks, is to note that there is no elevator in the beach side of the resort. If you get a 2nd floor room, you have to tote all your stuff up the stairs. Wish I had thought of that when I booked. When you have a child, it gets tedious trecking up and down stairs.

Overall we had a great time. We live near the beach at home, but it's nice to be able to see something different and go into your room for a mid-afternoon nap.

HIGHLY recommend for couples wanting a romantic getaway or a short vacation for people with kids.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank amytap

Reviewed June 26, 2008

We went last June for my husband seminar and we loved it..The food is so good and the room is clean...I love the view on the beach from my room...though it is not that accesible for some disabled people because theres no elevator in where we stay in.There's 3 swimming pool...My little girl love the family pool and the beach..there's always a lifeguard who's watching you...i just hope that the sand is more finer,theres a lot of shell that my daughter almost have some scracth on her legs and feet...the parking is good consider that they really have a big expanded hotel...or lodge and inn as they say..

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed on the top floor of the Inn. It is across the street from the beach, but does have an ocean view. We saved $ by staying there and the room was very nice. I would suggest (if possible) leave the kids at home. There is not a lot for the kids to do other than the beach and one pool. For a couple, it is a nice place with the gym and tennis. They do nickel and dime you on rentals (beach chairs, bikes etc.) We didn't eat dinner at the inn, there are many nice places within a few miles. The Italian place (forgot the name) a few miles south is excellent and a good value. Overall a very nice place to stay. Keep in mind it is also a club, so there are lots of locals dining (older folks). Lots of locals at the gym, too. We would go back.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I spent 3 days and 2 nights at the resort for a conference. The resort did a good job with the conference. The conference facilites are first class and the staff was invisible. The conference went off without a hitch.

This resort would be good for almost any traveler wanting a beach vacation: honeymooners, families or couples. The beach is wide and the surf is mild.

The room accomodations are 5 star. I stayed in the "beach house". The room had a beach view, but did not have a porch overlooking the beach (as most of the other, more costly, rooms did). There was even a TV adjacent to the shower in the bathroom.

The conference food was good. I had buffet breakfasts sponsored by the conference. Everything was the right temperature and fresh. My coffee cup didn't go empty. I had one conference lunch. It was a sit down lunch with chicken. Very good too.

I ate at the Sea Horse Grill one evening for dinner. It's a bit pricy, but the facility is on the second floor overlooking the ocean. The food was very good. I had a special that evening, veal and shrimp.

I drove a rental car from the airport. It's about 35 minutes. There are plenty of restaurants within several miles of the resort if you didn't want to take all of your meals there. St. Augustine is about 40 minutes south of the resort.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2008

There is a lot to do at the Inn, but almost everything you do will end up as a charge on your bill, so be careful. Having said that, we had a wonderful time. Every little request we had was taken care of gladly and immediately. Every single staff member we had contact with was a delight. I think a lot of business don't put enough importance on this factor, but the service and attitude of the staff at this hotel is excellent. We stayed down the beach at the Lodge and Inn first and having access to the imenities at the Inn (same owners) saw that we would like to switch. They made the switch for us gladly and easily. The family pool at the Inn has a slide, convenient snack bar/restaurant, plentiful supply of towels and, like most of the Inn is right on the beach. Also , walking down past the adult pools is a nice playground. One of the great things about this hotel is the boardwalk type setup. Everything, including the back doors to the rooms (except in the historic inn, across the street) opens right onto the beach. Another great thing for us was the "nursery" and children's activities. Our 3 and 7 year olds went to the PJ party one night, so that my husband and our two older daughters could enjoy dinner upstairs in the Seahouse Grill. Beautiful restaurant and beautiful food. Expensive, but in this case, I actually thought it was worth the price! (I almost never say that). One morning I got to sleep in late when my 12 year old got up to take our 3 and 7 year old to the nursery. She then came back and my husband, myself and our 12 and 14 year old daughters got to sleep until 10:00. What a treat for me!! Like the Lodge, the beachfront location is wonderful, but the beach here is much busier than at the Lodge. This turns out to be better for the teenagers and younger children, as they prefer this, but I sort of missed the peaceful, empty beach we had at the Lodge and Club. (Can't have it all!) The hotel is a series of buildings or "houses" stretched along the beach. Definitely get a ground floor room so that you can walk right out (a few steps!) onto the beach. Make sure you get either the Beach house, Ocean house, Florida House, St. Johns house, Georgia house or the Atlantic house. Anything other than this and you are too far away from the pools, restaurants, gym, tennis and spa across the street. We stayed at the Atlantic house, and had a room with two queen beds plus a sitting area with a queen sofa bed. I believe they only have this type of room in the Atlantic house, but they have suites elsewhere which also would work well for families. Hope you get to go to this wonderful resort and go to the spa for me, as it was closed when I was there due to a water main break. Ponte Vedra is a great, upscale, residential-type vacation destination, with all the Jax beach attractions minutes away if you want them, but there is enough to do at the Inn and Club, with access to everything at the Lodge and Club down the beach about two miles, that you never need to go anywhere else.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank robinringer
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I took my teenage daughter to the Inn and had a lovely stay. She loved the spa, lap pool, room and tennis. We liked the restaurants but ended up eating off the premises because the Inn did not have any vegetarian options on its menu. The chef was happy to prepare pasta with vegetables but after two nights of that my daughter wanted something else.

The Inn has a no tipping policy so 20% is added to everything. I thought it was nice and every time I felt the help had earned the 20%.

The Beach in front of the property is beautiful. It is raked every morning.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2008

This is a great hotel if you love tennis and golf. The hotel is a 5 star. With luxuries that a ritz or four seasons would have. The pool is nice but not great.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank dandrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
One Ocean Resort & Spa
One Ocean Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Atlantic Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville / Ponte Vedra
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville /...
#2 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#6 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach

Been to Ponte Vedra Inn & Club? Share your experiences!