“Good Mexican food for a reasonable price. open kitchen”

Taqueria Dona Raquel
Ranked #64 of 356 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coconut Creek, Florida
“Good Mexican food for a reasonable price. open kitchen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Four of us had dinner here. Everyone enjoyed their food. Interesting combo's were available. Goat, liver, tripe, lamb... We were advised by our waitress, Ruth, that much of these unique foods were available on Saturday, not necessarily during the week. I found my shrimp cooked to the perfect temperature and very tasty. I also had a tripe taco...Not a fancy place but I have to say it's about as authentic a Mexican restaurant I've been to. Try it you'll like it! If there was a drawback it was waiting for the bill.

• Visited October 2013

Delray Beah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Saw a review about this place (public TV) and decided to try it.
What a mistake. The place is in need of serious cleaning. Beside sanitation and poor customer service to top it all the food is unacceptable: beans from a can, greasy thick totopos, salty mole enchiladas, the mystery meat in the tacos... Yes it is not expensive but not worthy of gambling with your health, will not return or refer anyone to this dump.
It is a shame the health department is so close ,they should pay a visti to this "restaurant".

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank John B
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great food, great prices, nonexistant service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

A few days ago, my mother and I went to a spot that we often go to when we’re looking for cheap/quick food with flavor. This place is called Taqueria Dona Raquel, a Mexican restaurant on Dixie Highway in Pompano Beach. In all honesty, the food is very good. Everything is a la carte with prices ranging from a few dollars to $9-$10 for the large fajita skillet. However, every time we go there, something’s a little bit…off with the service.

For instance, food ordered at the same time will come out dish by dish, part of your party being served, while the others wait for up to 20 minutes for their dishes to come out. When asked, the server had some sort of explanation (excuse?) about “kitchen A” and “kitchen B” having nothing to do with one another (though they’re both clearly visible [2-3 people in an open kitchen]). Ok, fair enough, pizzas generally take longer than salads, sandwiches, etc where I work. Though it seems stranger with a taco vs. a quesadilla. Other times, they’ll bring out two tacos ordered by separate people on the same plate with no side plates or serving utensils and sort of just set the plate down and run, leaving customers to their own devices. Again, we can manage (for $5).

However, on this occasion, the strange service totally took the cake. We sat and ordered within a few minutes (we always order the same things). My mom orders two of her usual tacos (al pastor), I order a taco with chorizo and carne, a quesadilla chorizo con papas, and we order a sincronizada to share (a delicious sandwich with ham, cheese, avocado - that’s actually more like an American quesadilla than the traditional quesadilla).

It takes a while, but finally our tacos come out (on the same plate, no side plates - whatever, we’re used to it). We consume them in no time, but as we’re talking, we don’t notice how long it’s taking for the rest of our meal. I can feel my stomach grumbling and realize we’ve been waiting for a half an hour or more. We joke around and look in the kitchen to see if the cook is preparing our food, but he seems to be distracted flirting with our server. Maybe we’re in line, or she’s clarifying something we assume and go back to chatting, our empty plates and glasses sitting in front of us.

Finally it gets frustrating, and as we direct our attention back to the kitchen, we are shocked to see there is no one in it. And our server is gone. When we -FINALLY- get the attention of the lone server remaining in the restaurant (us, a 4 top, and a man eating by himself), she comes over. We ask about the rest of our food. She seems confused. The other server did not ORDER the rest of our food. Shift change, there’s no one in the kitchen at the moment, and the other server is gone.

??? What the hell?! Now, I can understand (not really, but at least -comprehend-) this happening in a restaurant where appetizers are ordered and a server forgets to put the entrees in before leaving, but we ordered 5 items a la carte AT THE SAME TIME. Wtf?! They finally made the other items, and they were very good, but nothing was done to express embarrassment that something like this had happened. They didn’t offer us a discount, a coupon to come back, another fruit water on the house, or anything. Not even really a sorry. (I know, and yet I keep going back.)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Dydo_DellaMura
“Great hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I have visited this spot about four times in the last four months and have always come away impressed. The portions are big - try ordering a torta and you'll see what I mean - the salsa just right and they have all kinds of Mexican juices: agua de jamaica, pina, etc. My Mexican in-laws can attest that it is one of their favorites as well.Tucked away in Pompano, this spot features nice decor, an open kitchen, and friendly waitstaff. Definitely worth a try.

• Visited April 2013
“So glad we tried it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stopped by for a late-ish dinner. I had a steak gordita, chile rellano, chicken and ribs tacos. The ribs taco was the best taco I've ever had. The prices were great and the staff was fast and friendly. No wonder this place rated so highly.