“Beach is average, crowded, and pools are in shade”

Wyndham Royal Vista
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ohio
“Beach is average, crowded, and pools are in shade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I love the beach and go as often as possible. I perused TA relentlessly and this Wyndham kept rising to the top. I booked a 2bd/2ba unit and we stayed last (Thanksgiving).week.

The unit was roomy, in great shape, clean, and the beds slept well. Zero complaints.

Now the stuff that bugged me: The balcony was smallish, with 2 VERY uncomfortable chairs, which makes for enjoying the view for longer than 10 minutes painful. Be ready to greet the neighbors as the balconys' aren't private.

There is no maid service. They will provide you with all the towels, pt., soap, etc., you could possibly want, but you must place your trash and all used towels down the chute next to elevator. (I'm on vacation and don't want to do this!)

Many reviews said how great the beach was, which is one reason I picked this place. However, it's a very small beach, and once the rental co. puts its cabanas and umbrellas up, one feels like a sardine. And this was in November. I'm told in the summer it is absolutely packed, with three deep rows of umbrellas and cabanas on one tiny stretch of sand. I don't want someone right on top of me at the beach. Also, the sun goes behind the buildings by 3pm. (this could be later come summer time) Not too much beach time for me.

The two pools are small and are in the shade 75% of the time.Again, the buildings surround it (no ocean view) and there are maybe 20 loungers that get sun. Who wants to stare at buildings? I did find the very neat sun deck which has loads of sun and a nice view.

I had read several comments about ck in time, and 'begging' for a room with a view. I actually showed up at 2ish and my 5th floor 'street' view room was available. All I asked for was a higher room. I was actually told a 7th floor was avail. with a partial inter-coastal view. I took it. And then came the long lecture about the beach towels and towel passes, and how one or the other had to be returned at the end of our stay or we would get fined--a lot. I had to initial that, too.

I've been to a lot of condos, and this is the one place we were charged the same rate whether our room was 'street' or 'ocean' view. I guess that's where the begging comes in from other reviewers. That simply is not equitable to me, to get a crummy view, and pay the same as someone getting an ocean front!

Last, we would ask for a paper to be delivered, or to have 'maid' service. This was always answered with, "are you a gold or platinum member?" I finally said, "No but we are a PAYING member!" Pompano just doesn't do it for me-- not even good restaurants, and this Wyndham didn't have a good enough beach for a second time try.I'd pass on this place and area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Beachlover100Ohio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
Clinton, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have stayed there before and it's going downhill. The outside is still impressive but maintenance is lacking. Mold around the showers in the bathroom. Dishwasher didn't work and they were very quick to replace it, it's to bad they didn't attach it to the cabinets, problems opening the door. Ice maker didn't work and they there quickly to replace the refrigerator with one that needed the door reversed. Air handler on the heat pump was the noisiest I have ever heard, We just shut it off at night. The people are all very accommodating and friendly. I will go to Sea Garden next time or somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TomT42
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed last summer (June 2012) for a week. It was WONDERFUL!! The staff is very friendly, the location is great--right on the beach, poolside bar, 2 pools. Great place to stay! There are activities planned for kids of all ages.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank April S
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed at Wyndham the week of november 2 2013 for 2 weeks and loved the place. The counter staff very friendly and helpful and nothing was a bother. If you needed something, you got it fast. A special thanks to Jean at the front desk. Very helpful and nice. After a few days you almost feel like family with the staff. Everybody knows you or just says hi. When checking in at the desk you get your room key/cards and info about the place. Then you are told to see the concierge across from the front counter to get your parking garage pass. Thats just to get you to talk about buying a timeshare from a sales person. We had to say no a few times just to get our pass. The next day they called to room and asked if we would come down and take a tour and asked about buying again. We just kept saying no. Some people say it needs updating, i thought it was fine. Theres free computers to use also, and a good bar and restaurant across the street with good sandwiches and pizza. They have a tiki bar at the hotel, but it closes to early i think. usally about 8pm. opens at 12pm. On weekends on the beach i think staying open to at least 10 pm would be more fun, because theres nothing near the hotel to do. Closest place is about a mile away in town. They do have a vendor that runs a small food store at the hotel, but opens at 12pm and closes about 4pm. Good wraps. Theres 2 nice pools. I like it there, but its just a relaxing type place. If you like being close to town and walking to town, this isnt the place.

Room Tip: A street view is nice with a corner balcony to people watch and also see the beach. A beach view is...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This has a nice friendly, helpful staff, and the beach front suites are very nice. I just don't like all the horrible South Florida traffic and lack of restaurants in the area. If I want this kind of traffic, I will visit Chicago and can walk to great restaurants. It is just too crowded there for me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wheatfield, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We are time share owners and have always stayed at the Wyndham bonnet creek.
The experience at Bonnet Creek has always been great.
We visited The Pampano resort on October 18th, The front desk seemed agitated when we arrived. I had requested an ocean view, which is never guaranteed and apparently many other guests wanted the same thing. The girl at the front desk seemed ready to attack as soon as we asked about our room and told us in no uncertain terms we were not getting an ocean view.
The hotel seems run down and old. The rooms did not have hot water the first night and the water pressure was not good.
The pool and outside area seemed nice and they were kept up. But everyone knows the front desk is your first impression, and if that is not good it leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the rest of the trip. Wont be going back to this spot again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Albany, Ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We just returned from spending a week at this timeshare resort. There are at least 2 things that would need to change before I'd consider staying here again: the first being the fact that the "concierge" is actually a salesperson who pressures you bigtime into attending one of their sales meetings, which from what we heard from people who got talked into going always last wa-a-a-y longer than the 90 mins promised (big surprise).The second problem needing to be fixed is that the staff do not enforce the Florida state law that states no beverages or food can be brought into a swimming pool........while we were there, a family spend all day every day drinking their beer and even eating their lunches while floating/standing in the pool (not very conducive to keeping the pool clean!).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wyndham Sea Gardens
Wyndham Sea Gardens
#16 of 36 in Pompano Beach
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,346 reviews
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A No...
#11 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,583 reviews
Wyndham Palm-Aire
Wyndham Palm-Aire
#6 of 36 in Pompano Beach

Been to Wyndham Royal Vista? Share your experiences!