“Best location, clean and comfortable, great value!”

Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We have stayed at Sands Harbor for a week each winter for the past 10 years. We always enjoy the great location and spectacular view of the Intracoastal waterway and the ocean. If you are looking for a fancy Mariott style place, this is probably not for you, but the rooms are clean and comfortable and the rates are the best around. Don't miss Joes Riverside Grille off the main hotel lobby or the patio restaurant and bar. We rent a small boat at the Sands Marina and tour the area each year.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 1, 2007

Although a great location (close proximity to boating and beaches), this hotel is HORRIBLE. I stay in a lot of hotels for work and pleasure and I wouldn't let my dog (if I had one) stay here. The room wreaks of smoke (whether a non-smoking or not), is filthy, still has Hurricane damage from 2 years ago, old furniture, and no space to move around. I did not feel safe at all. It seemed like the kind of place a prostitute would rent for an hour. Tried to get my money back after only walking into the room for 2 minutes and they refused. It is soooooo overpriced.
There are many alternatives in the area.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robyncrn
SandsHarbor, General Manager at Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Our hotel did suffer extensive damage from a direct hit by Hurricane Wilma in October 2005 and it is true it took several years to get all our facilities completely restored. I am confident you will now find all our rooms immaculately clean and with new carpeting and drapes and a terrific view of the beach and waterway. Our Superior category rooms have new furnishings including new TVs and more. Please check our recent reviews and please try us again to see the change.

Reviewed May 31, 2007

Three of my friends and I stayed here the weekend of my 22nd birthday. We weren't expecting the Ritz Carlton for what we paid and we didn't get it; however, it wasn't so bad we would've slept on the streets like the other reviewers are saying.

The lobby was dull and in need of renovation. Then again, we aren't going to be sleeping in the lobby. I noticed a dead roach when I came down to the lobby one morning. Someone threw away by the time I went back to my room, and while I was grossed out at first, HELLO, this is SOUTH FLORIDA everyone gets a roach once in awhile.

The room we were given was very clean (and believe me, my one friend is a cleaning nazi, she'd have complained to mangament had it not been) and the view of the canal was pretty. The only con about the room was that our TV didn't work. At all. I read another review that no one was ever in the pool. I actually noticed a lot of people down at the pool. Maybe the lack of people at the pool in the other review was because it was November? Just a guess...

The location was pretty much the reason we picked to stay here. It's one block from the beach and 10 min. from Ft. Lauderdale. For the price and location, you seriously can't go wrong.

When we came to Pompano, we only booked this room to have a place to shower and sleep, not be pampered and have some kind of spa weekend. If that's what you're looking for, I'd def. look elsewhere; but if you're hardly going to be in your room, why not? I've been to enough hotels along the east coast to know this isn't that bad.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Oh, where should I start, first I was stupid enough not to follow the advice of all the other reviews. This is the worst hotel I have stayed at in years. My fraternity house smelled better and was cleaner then this place and that was 20 years ago.

1.)Rooms smelled like a combination of mold and stale smoke.
2.)Ceilings had multiple water marks with bad repairs along with this black stuff that was hanging from the popcorn paint.
3.)The bed was supper soft and old.
4.)Balcony was filthy.
5.)Pool was black on the bottom and looked like it hasn’t been cleaned in years.
6.)Shower faucet was installed side ways and hard to operate.
7.)Elevator should like it was going to fail at any second and made load clunking sounds.
8.)Television was 19” and very old. Color would switch back and forth to black and white.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank fish29000
SandsHarbor, General Manager at Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

South Florida was hit with 4 hurricanes in 2005 including Hurricane WIlma that hit Pompano Beach and our Sands Harbor Hotel directly in October 2005. Unfortunately it took several years to get all our facilities back to good condition. We regret any disappointment our guests experienced during this time and we are confident they would be pleased with our resort today.

Reviewed November 9, 2006

Although the staff was very pleasant and helpful, our overall experience at this hotel was extremely dissappointing. The Expedia rating was 3 stars. I strongly disagree. The website for this hotel is quite deceiving....no entertainment on the week-end, most shops are long gone and the gambling boat that was supposed to depart from their marina has not been there for two years. It is safe to say there have been zero updates made this decade and cleanliness is not their strong suite either. There was a five gallon bucket in the lobby collecting drips.The balcony was filthy and overlooked the shabby roof of thier restaurant. The pool did not look very inviting (chipped paint, broken fountain) and apparently I was not the only person who felt this way, as there was not a single person in the pool for the 4 days we were there. We tried to find another hotel but unfortunately there were no vacancies because it was the week of the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. I ended up buying clorox to clean the room and we toughed it out but I would not reccomend this hotel if you have the slightest touch of class.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank captainD

Reviewed September 17, 2006

I read the reviews and didn't heed the warnings. This is a good bar for drinking, but don't get a room. The room was a sticky mess, and it had a fuzzy 19" TV. We had a balcony that overlooked the roof of the restaraunt and we had the brisk smell of french fried food all night. The kids were dissapointed as well because of the fuzzy TV. We moved to another room and it wasn't any better. They did give us our money back for the remaining reservation days. we moved 3 miles inland to a very nice marriott. Whew!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank CincyWalt

Reviewed July 25, 2006

Do not stay for any reason. We booked our stay after checking out their deceiving website. The Sands Harbor Hotel was nothing like what was shown on their website. Everything about the place was run down, dirty, and overall a disgusting dump. Broken doors, disgustly dirty carpets and walls, broken beds, broken shower, little water presure, broken TVs, nasty dirty pool and pool area, dirty lobby with water leaking from the ceiling into a bucket, broken elevator. Unfortunately there was a festival in town so we were stuck there plus they charged our credit card in advance without telling us. We had to wait until 5pm for our room and left immediately to buy some cleaning supplies. Check in was 3pm. 2 gold rings were stolen from our room while we were gone. Of course the staff didnt know what we were talking about. They were very rude during or stay and uncaring. We changed rooms once and gave up and cleaned the room and bought our own sheets. We had no where else to go.
*Trip Advisor was a big diappointment because the reviews on this dump were not updated when we decided to book. We booked in March 2006 and there were 2 good reviews. After the trip we checked again and there were and still are several terrible reviews that should have been already posted dating back to 2005. I will never rely on Trip Advisor for reviews again!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple