“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
CHAPIN
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at the Sands Harbor. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. I guess you could say the hotel is old. While our room was refurbished (new bed, curtains and tv), the fixtures were old. Great view, fairly quiet and free parking (for ANYONE so spaces go quickly).

My biggest gripe was no internet in the rooms and the tv got about 15 channels. Half were Shopping Network and the like. One day we didn't get our room serviced.

Would I stay there again? Yeah. Price and convenience to dive operators would be the reason.

Room Tip: The upper floors have been "refurbished".
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
SandsHarbor, General Manager at Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Sands Harbor provides complimentary WI-FI to our hotel guests. We are not sure this guest made us aware of a connection problem as we would have been happy to assist.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My son and I stayed here while doing a scuba class with Scubatyme charters. Very convenient location for the boat. Rooms are functional, but if TV and WiFi important to you not so good. The on site restaurant had really good bar food. Especially liked the wings and the burgers.

• Stayed June 2013
New Paltz, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

May 30 to June 3
Once again we rested our weary souls here at Sands Harbor, while scuba diving off the coast of Pompano Beach. Wow, they up graded the elevator with new electronics. Still had to walk up the eight floors once due to a problem. But I made it.
It's just a great place to hang out, with good food and good people. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ocala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the housekeeping staff to the poolside wait staff, everyone was so professional and personable. The room was clean and comfortable and the poolside deck on the intercoastal was a treat! The location was central to lots of shopping and restaurants but the very best wings were right there at the poolside restaurant!

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

A buddy and I used this as our base for a diving trip. We had an enjoyable experience, and I would go back. The hotel is clean but worn around the edges. The staff are helpful and maid service was great. Bed was firm, shower was hot, wi-if was a little slow but passable and included in the room price. At the outdoor bar, service was very good and the food was surprisingly great (I think they share a kitchen with a nice seafood restaurant next door)! People watching reminded me at times if something out of a Hunter S. Thompson novel. I would definitely consider this as home base for another guy's trip. Because my wife's not hung up on amenities, I might take her for a quick trip. For romance, I'm probably looking elsewhere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Livingston, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My son and I stayed at the hotel over a long weekend and have a great time. From the hotel there is easy access to the beach, jet skis and other water sports. The rooms are plain and clean -- nothing special. The room we stayed at had a queen bed and a double pull out couch. The bathroom was a bit tired and you could see the repairs.

The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer. In the mornings, they had coffee/tea and muffins. The Wifi was good and included in the price of the room. There are several nice places to eat within walking distance including Houston's across in the water for a great steak dinner. We'll definitely stay there next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for the first (and last) time during a recent business trip to the area. I wanted to be near the beach while staying within company expectations for cost. In that regard, it was a success. The hotel is on the IC waterway and a 5 min walk to the beach. Location is very good. Everything else was pretty bad. The furnishings are dated in the lobby and rooms. My TV picture looked as if it had rabbit ears attached (very poor quality on all channels). No fitness room. Continental breakfast consists of prepackaged fruit cups and muffins.

The kicker was that my smoke alarm went off randomly one evening. I tried to reset it to no avail. There apparently is no maintenance dept so I was told that it would be 'a while' since the front desk person could not leave her post. When I returned later she explained that she was able to silence the thing by using a butter knife and prying on the cover a bit. Hmm, "I sure hope that thing doesn't go off in the middle of the night" I lamented, hoping she might change my room. Not to worry, she said, and went and provided me with my own butter knife to use in the event of another random smoke alarm. Too funny! This was a first for me.

By the grace of god the alarm stayed silent throughout the night and I left the next day thankful that my visit to the Sands Harbor was over.

Room Tip: pick another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business