“Once again”

Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed June 6, 2013

May 30 to June 3
Once again we rested our weary souls here at Sands Harbor, while scuba diving off the coast of Pompano Beach. Wow, they up graded the elevator with new electronics. Still had to walk up the eight floors once due to a problem. But I made it.
It's just a great place to hang out, with good food and good people. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the housekeeping staff to the poolside wait staff, everyone was so professional and personable. The room was clean and comfortable and the poolside deck on the intercoastal was a treat! The location was central to lots of shopping and restaurants but the very best wings were right there at the poolside restaurant!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A buddy and I used this as our base for a diving trip. We had an enjoyable experience, and I would go back. The hotel is clean but worn around the edges. The staff are helpful and maid service was great. Bed was firm, shower was hot, wi-if was a little slow but passable and included in the room price. At the outdoor bar, service was very good and the food was surprisingly great (I think they share a kitchen with a nice seafood restaurant next door)! People watching reminded me at times if something out of a Hunter S. Thompson novel. I would definitely consider this as home base for another guy's trip. Because my wife's not hung up on amenities, I might take her for a quick trip. For romance, I'm probably looking elsewhere.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My son and I stayed at the hotel over a long weekend and have a great time. From the hotel there is easy access to the beach, jet skis and other water sports. The rooms are plain and clean -- nothing special. The room we stayed at had a queen bed and a double pull out couch. The bathroom was a bit tired and you could see the repairs.

The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer. In the mornings, they had coffee/tea and muffins. The Wifi was good and included in the price of the room. There are several nice places to eat within walking distance including Houston's across in the water for a great steak dinner. We'll definitely stay there next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for the first (and last) time during a recent business trip to the area. I wanted to be near the beach while staying within company expectations for cost. In that regard, it was a success. The hotel is on the IC waterway and a 5 min walk to the beach. Location is very good. Everything else was pretty bad. The furnishings are dated in the lobby and rooms. My TV picture looked as if it had rabbit ears attached (very poor quality on all channels). No fitness room. Continental breakfast consists of prepackaged fruit cups and muffins.

The kicker was that my smoke alarm went off randomly one evening. I tried to reset it to no avail. There apparently is no maintenance dept so I was told that it would be 'a while' since the front desk person could not leave her post. When I returned later she explained that she was able to silence the thing by using a butter knife and prying on the cover a bit. Hmm, "I sure hope that thing doesn't go off in the middle of the night" I lamented, hoping she might change my room. Not to worry, she said, and went and provided me with my own butter knife to use in the event of another random smoke alarm. Too funny! This was a first for me.

By the grace of god the alarm stayed silent throughout the night and I left the next day thankful that my visit to the Sands Harbor was over.

Room Tip: pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dantheman311
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Stopped at the sands outside deck/bar. Lots of people just having fun and enjoying life. Buckets of beer are priced reasonably. Tasty bar style food. Hard to find local joints like this any more. This is the type of place where you can watch the boats go buy, have a beer and just relax in a real casual atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The waterway views from the balconies of this hotel are spectacular. The ocean - about two blocks away is also visible. Otherwise the hotel is rather dated and lacking in modern amenities (no wifi or hair dryers in rooms). There is no room service. The hotel restaurants serve lunch and dinner - not breakfast. A minimal complimentary continental breakfast is available. The decor is rather retro beach. Go for the view and location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo