“Save your money and sleep in a rest-stop bathroom...”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Save your money and sleep in a rest-stop bathroom...”
Reviewed June 1, 2005

I booked my vacation over 2 months in advanced. We wanted to stay where we could open our windows and hear the beach. We reserved a "Deluxe Oceanview Room" online - the pictures on their site make their hotel look great. We got to the hotel and we were very surprised!

First, they wanted us to wear wristbands all weekend (like the ones at a themepark). They said this was their "policy" to prevent non-guests from using their pool. After arguing over that, we got checked in. We walked down this narrow 100 degree uncooled hallway and up an elevator to our 2nd story room. We had to step up into our room, so they aren't easily handicap or stroller accessable.

The room was not very apealing. There were numerious stains on the 70's-retro style yellow carpet and the room looked very worn.

Then I got to see my "Oceanview" and I was shocked. I paid a lot of money a night for my "view" and all I could see from my room was the roof of the building next to us and the pool. Other than that, there were palm trees and neighbors, as there is absolutely no privacy on the balconies. You could literally meet your neighbors. See the attached pictures for my proof. I could NOT see the ocean at all no matter how hard I looked.

I was very upset. I called downstairs and demanded a refund. I ended up calling the Garden Hilton in Ft Lauderdale and we left.

After we left, we realizied just how filthy the room really was - my 1 1/2 year old son was covered in dirt from the floor when he was crawling around after only 10 minutes.

I've never been in a hotel so disgusting and will never visit a Beachcomber hotel again.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
PA
Reviewed April 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Beachcomber and were pleasantly surprised. We stayed in an ocean front room in the tower, and our room was recently remodeled. It was beautiful and spacious with two balconies, microwave, fridge, small but very nice bathroom. We were on the second floor, and the palm trees did somewhat obstruct the view of the ocean, but it was still a beautiful, picture-postcard view. We were able to gaze out the large windows while lying in the extremely comfortable king-size bed, and it felt like we were in paradise. The grounds are very pretty, but there is an older section that looks like it might be a little rundown. I would definitely come back to stay in the tower room, although I would try and get a higher floor.

On the downside, there were some very tiny mite-like bugs on the kitchen counter - I wouldn't put food there. And there are no utensils so it would be good to bring some plastic forks and paper plates, etc. We just used it for heating up leftover pizza and storing our cold drinks, so it was not a problem for us. Also, there isn't much within walking distance, so a car would be helpful. We walked to a fabulous restaurant called Joes Riverside Grill (I think) in the Sands Hotel, and the food was wonderful, a little upscale but reasonable prices, very nice atmosphere.
We had breakfast twice at the hotel restaurant, and the food was fine but the service was not, and they weren't even that busy. Also, the pool area needs upgrading, but I was told they are going to be tearing down an old building and redoing the pools, and that should be very nice when it's done - next year I think.

One thing I would note is to call the hotel directly to get a reservation rather than online. I tried both ways and got a better price directly through the hotel, and was able to tell them exactly what I wanted and they gave it to me.
All in all, a very nice hotel choice if you want to stay ocean front on the beach and don't want to pay Ft. Lauderdale prices.

Stayed April 2005
11 Thank squig
Reviewed April 17, 2005

My daughter and I stayed at the Beachcomber 3 nights April 1-4. Our room was beautiful, with crown molding and nice decor with a balcony overlooking the larger pool. We had a view of the ocean also. The balcony was really nice and large with 2 comfy lounge chairs. They are not private though as we were able to chat with the people in the room next to us. The beds are wonderful, very thick mattresses, probably the best I've slept on in a hotel. A large armoire holds a tv. The kitchen had a full size refrigerator, microwave and sink, coffeemaker with mugs and cabinets but there were no plates, glasses or utensils. The bathroom was clean and had a brand new shower curtain. There is a wide hallway to the bathroom with racks to lay your luggage on which was really nice. There is also a safe and iron and ironing board in this space. The pools were a little disappointing, the large one is heated and is way too warm to enjoy and the small one is freezing. The beach here is nice with lounge chairs and canopies if you want them. There is also a guy that came around the pool asking if you wanted a cushion for your lounge chair. You can also get fresh towels to use at the pool or beach. There was free parking which I found is very unique at hotels here anymore.

• Stayed April 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2005

We booked a deluxe oceanfront room 6-7 mos in advance.Their website states direct ocean view. Upon arriving, we were shocked to see our rm #310 balcony covered with palm trees & totally obstructed.We could not see the beach nor the ocean from our ocean front balcony.Our dreams of sitting on the balcony, enjoying a meal & looking at
the ocean were immediately gone. We called the front desk & told them of our dissatisfaction & they said they would see what they could do.
Apparently they're getting used to dealing with this problem as we've
learned from comments on line after the fact.Of course we were told there was nothing they could do.Upon learning of our unhappiness we were told they didn't want people staying there if they weren't happy & we could go elsewhere.We were booked for 8 nights.We found the front office personel speaking to us in a very condescending manner & not accomodating in any way.We had no choice but to stay as it was spring break time. There were also tiny insects in the bathroom & kitchen.The insects got into sealed food bags which we hadn't opened yet & had to discard.
The pool/beach attendents & Tikki bar staff were very nice.We would not return! Beware when booking an oceanfront room as you may not get to see the ocean from your balcony as would be expected.

• Stayed March 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed March 27, 2005

The Beachcomber was a nice hotel. The room was newly renovated, clean and well decorated. However, our view was of the hotel next door (about 10 feet away) and we were not able to upgrade. We did not have a view of the ocean and there was no balcony. Also, our tub filled up with about 6 inches of water every time we showered.

The rest of the hotel was nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel restaurant was convenient, but the food wasn't spectacular. We were excited about the daily happy hour that started at 5:30pm, but were disappointed with how expensive the beverages were.

The two pools were small, but clean and there were tons of sun chairs available at no cost. The beach is family friendly and not over-crowded. We were able to walk to the closet pier, where there was a deck and restaurant.

There isn't much to do in Pompano and there are few restaurants nearby. Ft. Lauderale is 20 minuntes south of the hotel. Be sure to check out the water taxi tours, which cost $5 for the entire day! In Ft. Lauderdale there is plenty of places to shop and eat.

The hotel was great for a weekend getaway. But, if you are looking for more to do, make sure you rent a car.

11 Thank kmrNYC
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed March 11, 2005

We just got back from a 5 day vacation at the Beachcomber and we had a great time. We were on the 2nd floor that was oceanfront with a balcony, and a side pool balcony as well. There was a parrot with a nest in a palm tree right outside our balcony- I got some great pictures of her. The frozen drinks by the pool were over $7.00 and they don't put much liqour in the large cup that they are served in, so unless you want to pay that I suggest you go somewhere else. There is Stingers cafe right across the street that has great food at good prices, really huge hamburgers and good drinks. Also conveinently across the street is a gift shop, store, and a ladies boutique shop that had adorable clothes. The breakfast room service at the resort was great too. I had a greek omellette with hashbrowns, toast, for $6.88 which was superb. All the staff at the resort were nice. The queen size bed we had was great, and overall the room was very nice. I really don't have anything negative to say about the resort. One thing to remember though is to reserve a poolside lounge chair early or you will be left with a crappy one not facing the sun. There is no gift shop either. The Tiki bar will close early if there is no business. There are two pools outside-one heated, one not. There is also a nice sundeck. The grounds by the pool are lovely, and palm trees surround the resort in the back. A very pretty place to stay. We will definetly go back. If you go to Ft. lauderdale go try Crabby Jack's. It is sorta like Hooters, they do have good food, and cheap drinks compared to everywhere else-$3.50 for absolute/cranberry. Those were the best drink prices we found.

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank SPoe
Ontario, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2005

My sister and I had a 3 day reservation. The room was on the 3rd floor in the furthest back corner of the building, across from the elevator. We reserved an ocean view, but could only see a small sliver of it as the palms swayed. Both the desk clerk and susequest supervisor declined to move our room. She said nothing was available. We were there at 2:30 pm, a full half hour before the 3:00 check in time. The supervisor was patronizng, and condesending, and continuted with a cheshire smile saying that there was nothing that could be done, and if we dont like it we dont have to stay. A take it or leave it attitude. I questioned the nonsmoking room next door and witnessed cigarattes on the balcony. After a 1 1/2 hour disruption, at 10:00pm I called to the front desk. They knocked on my door to tell me it was only children, and that it would stop eventually. Screaming children. After getting my morning fill of the smokers in the nonsmoking room, 10 feet from our nonsmoking balcony, we left, checked out, and drove to another much more pleasant hotel. Arrogance doesnt begin to describe it!

7 Thank claybaby