“Great value on the beach.”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
dublin, ohio
“Great value on the beach.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

We stayed at the Beachcomber hotel from 4/1-4/6. We were in a double room, located on the first floor by the pool. The room also had a nice little kitchenette and a great perk... a walk in closet with a dresser. Considering there were 4 of us in the room, that extra storage space came in handy. The room was very clean and the staff did a good job of keeping it that way. The pool area was nice and the gentleman who worked at the Tiki Bar on Sunday was great. Also, we asked for extra towels several times and they were always promptly delivered to our room. The beach is right there and the concierrge was more than happy to help us find parasailing and jet skiing locations. And, as previous reviews state, the pizza place across the street is absolutely excellent, great service too (which is usually hard to find in South Florida these days). The only problem we had was a group of noisy people by the pool at around 1:00 am on our last night there (probably spring breakers but I was there once myself.. so). We never took advantage of the restaurants in the hotel but did enjoy the piano player who was there on the weekend. The furnishings were older but as the room was very clean, that didn't bother us. We would definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

Pool towels must be turned in by 5:00 each day or your room will be charged $5 per
towel plus tax even if you turn them in the next day. So if you want to enjoy the beach or
pool longer than til 5:00 be warned you can not relax but must be a clock watcher!!
An effort to get the charge back took over an hour and discussions with 6 unfriendly and
uncooperative employees.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lee3oho
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

I reserved an oceanfront room and was upgraded to an awesome suite with a huge balcony. This hotel is very laid back, with few amenities. It is also not very convenient to Ft. Lauderdale, so be prepared to drive to hit restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc.

I travel for business quite a bit as well as for vacation. I'm mentioning this because I've never, ever stayed anywhere where the staff was as unfriendly is the staff at Beachcomber. Never a smile or a friendly face except for the guys handling the beach and pool. They were reasonably efficient though.

There's no nightlife or "scene" at the Beachcomber at all, which bummed me out as I was traveling alone.

This hotel would be a good choice for couples or small families looking for a quiet, comfortable place to stay on the beach. One other note; they do offer a free pass to the Gold's Gym nearby, though it's much further than they claim on their website.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Chicago suburb
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

Where do I begin..we had requested an early check in and arrived around noon. No room available, we were told-check in half an hour. Guests arriving after us were being checked in, but our room "was not ready." Three hours later, we were shown to our room. It was tiny, stuffy and old-and it was next to the maids closet with the hall trash chute. The bathroom tile was covered in mildew, and the bottom of the tub was filthy-gross. So I asked the manager to move us. She was exceptionally rude and at first said there was nothing else available, but after consulting her computer, grudgingly agreed to show us another room. The "other " room was even worse, with a small double bed and a plank of raw plywood for a "desk" This is an old hotel gimmick, to show the worst room in the place when someone complains. Did I mention that according to the restaurant manager later that day, the hotel was only 40% full??
Needless to say, we were stuck with the mildewy tile, since we had prepaid and I did not want to risk not receiving a refund. This place is clearly operating on a shoestring--ran out of towels at the pool, and our room was NEVER MADE UP UNTIL 3:00 each day.
The only positive thing to say is the beach location is quite nice, and the pool is acceptable. Luckily when you're at the beach, you are not spending a lot of time in the room, but NEVER again would I stay at this dump.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank beachy0ne
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

My wife, son and I stayed at the Beachcomber in March 2009. We booked one of what was described as a "One Bedroom Villa". Well, it was one bedroom, but hardly a villa. It was a 1950s vintage mini cottage. Cute, but not updated in any respect. Kind of beat really. Now having said that, I kind of enjoyed staying there - my wife did not. The over-all facility has a 1950's vibe with a thin veneer of mid 1980s updating. Some of it is cheesy. The Tiki Bar by the pool is fine if you don't mind $9.00 mixed drinks. Oh, and the Tiki Bar closes at 6:00pm. Don't want to miss that Early Bird Special up the street!!! The Concierge, Marty, is wonderful and goes out of his way to help guests promptly and cheerfully. What a nice guy!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Appleton, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

We didn't get to check in until 12:30am because we had a late flight. There was no baby crib in the room as we had requested (we had a 3 month old baby with us) and the desk clerk said he couldn't help us, as he didn't know where that stuff was located. We also asked for extra blankets and pillows....nope he couldn't help us with that either. He was basically no help at all. The kitchen area appears dirty at first glance and it's old and run down. There were many little bugs all over the counters. There was NO silverwear, cups, plates, utensils, etc. of any kind. The only good thing with the kitchen is that it had a small economy fridge that worked well. The bathroom was gross. Everything in it is very old and not well maintained. The counters were chipped and stained and were the quality of something you'd find at a cheap budget motel. The bathtub had a lot of mildew and soapscum on the walls. Yuck. Along the edges of the floor & wall, you could see where dirt had built up throughout time. The only light socket in the bathroom didn't work (couldn't use my straight-iron or curling iron, etc.) The whole bathroom made me feel not so clean. The bedroom area of the room was okay. The furniture was nice heavy dark wood with granite tops. The two double beds were okay as far as being comfortable, however, my headboard was half hanging off the wall. Not very classy. There were ants on the desk (must have been coming in from the balcony door). There were wires (cords & cables) running along the wall and then under the carpeting...right out in plain view. When looking at it, basically the carpeting is a big area rug that seems to be tacked down somehow. We had an "ocean front" room that was facing the ocean. The view WAS beautiful. The balcony was clean and in good condition and the 2 lounge chairs out there were nice and more high-end, so that was a plus. The pool area was also nice and it had some pretty gardens surrounding it. The wireless internet was down for the first 2-3 days we were there, possibly due to some kind of password/login problem. When I called the front desk, they told me they didn't know why it was working (and couldn't help me). Great. Parking was pretty difficult as well and very rarely did they have open parking spots.

All in all, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. For $210 per night, we definitely could have found something else on the ocean that was in better condition and had a better & more helpful hotel staff. At best, this hotel would receive a D+ or low C- from me.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank teeebooo
Sarnia, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

Decided to take a short getaway to the sunny south with my 19 yr.old daughter, and booked this on-line after weeks of searching. We stayed from Monday to Friday, enjoying the warm ie.low 70's temps. Our last day was mid 80's! We were given a room on the 3rd floor near the corner of the building so that the balcony had a wonderful view overlooking the pool and seeing the ocean. All balconies overlook the pool and would have an ocean glimpse.
The decor is mediterranean....dark wood....not really my taste but who cares we were not there for the interior decorating. Our room had a king sized bed which was perfect. Internet access was free and worked well...my daughter kept in touch with friends of course!!
We awoke daily to the sound of waves and chirping birds...walking out on the balcony we would enjoy the breeze, view and the really nice patio furniture each balcony had. The 2 pool guys were always prepping the pool area for the day, vacuuming the pool bottom and rinsing the nice tiled deck area. I was impressed by the lush vegetation/landscaping as it gave the feeling of being more south like in the Dominican.
The food at the hotel here is excellent quality...large portions, we did share a couple of things on occasion when we did take-out. The price is not cheap but since the quality and portions were generous I did not mind paying. You might want to order your morning coffee to go as it is $2.50 off the menu, and only $1 as takeout when you're leaving the restaurant.
My daughter and I loved the greek omelet with feta and spinach, as well as one of the best hamburgers I have ever had!
We did not have a car, but had no big plans to go anywhere really. We did take 2 buses to get to the GALLERIA Mall one evening which was quite nice.
The concierge was helpful, assisted us in booking an early morning shuttle bus to the airport...$35 for the 2 of us.
The area of Pompano here is very built up...many high-rise condos and time shares that surround this 8 storey hotel.
The little bar by the pool is convenient, makes good drinks but overpriced...I enjoyed the pina coladas and light beer on a couple of occasions.
We were in the ocean on the last day where my daughter got stung by a jellyfish on the side of her knee. She did not see it and there was barely a mark but it did sting for 10 minutes or so.
Overall , I wish we were back there and would have loved to enjoy it with our whole family.

• Stayed February 2009
Oceans Beach Resort & Suites
#21 of 36 in Pompano Beach
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A No...
#11 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,576 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,342 reviews

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!