“Simply relaxing, clean and on a beautiful beach!”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Decided to take a short getaway to the sunny south with my 19 yr.old daughter, and booked this on-line after weeks of searching. We stayed from Monday to Friday, enjoying the warm ie.low 70's temps. Our last day was mid 80's! We were given a room on the 3rd floor near the corner of the building so that the balcony had a wonderful view overlooking the pool and seeing the ocean. All balconies overlook the pool and would have an ocean glimpse.
The decor is mediterranean....dark wood....not really my taste but who cares we were not there for the interior decorating. Our room had a king sized bed which was perfect. Internet access was free and worked well...my daughter kept in touch with friends of course!!
We awoke daily to the sound of waves and chirping birds...walking out on the balcony we would enjoy the breeze, view and the really nice patio furniture each balcony had. The 2 pool guys were always prepping the pool area for the day, vacuuming the pool bottom and rinsing the nice tiled deck area. I was impressed by the lush vegetation/landscaping as it gave the feeling of being more south like in the Dominican.
The food at the hotel here is excellent quality...large portions, we did share a couple of things on occasion when we did take-out. The price is not cheap but since the quality and portions were generous I did not mind paying. You might want to order your morning coffee to go as it is $2.50 off the menu, and only $1 as takeout when you're leaving the restaurant.
My daughter and I loved the greek omelet with feta and spinach, as well as one of the best hamburgers I have ever had!
We did not have a car, but had no big plans to go anywhere really. We did take 2 buses to get to the GALLERIA Mall one evening which was quite nice.
The concierge was helpful, assisted us in booking an early morning shuttle bus to the airport...$35 for the 2 of us.
The area of Pompano here is very built up...many high-rise condos and time shares that surround this 8 storey hotel.
The little bar by the pool is convenient, makes good drinks but overpriced...I enjoyed the pina coladas and light beer on a couple of occasions.
We were in the ocean on the last day where my daughter got stung by a jellyfish on the side of her knee. She did not see it and there was barely a mark but it did sting for 10 minutes or so.
Overall , I wish we were back there and would have loved to enjoy it with our whole family.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank Alice0209
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed February 24, 2009

Stayed with my wife & two kids at this hotel for two nights the week of 2/20/09. Well were do i start. The room was off to the right hand side & talked up about being upgrade to poolside. It was dirty with a filthy shower & rear doorway out to an alley. We had a package with a thirty dollar credit to dinner & ate in the dinning room our first night. The dinning room staff was an over weight woman dressed like a hooker & a waiter with no idea how to do his job. The food was by far the worst meal i have had prepared for me in my life. The veggies were frozen & over cooked, the bread a day old & the fish was last years catch & frozen in house since. The bar was full of drunk white trash 50 somethings wearing bathing suites not suited for them or a family style pool. The only upside to my stay was the location is right on the beach & i had a 6 am flight so i left in the dark & didn't have to look at the place 1 more time in daylight. STAY AWAY. I stayed a 1/2 mile up the beach a few month back at the Beach Sands Hotel & Spa that was 100 % better place & will stay at that property on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mikeyny052
Reviewed February 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days, beginning Feb 5th. It seemed to start out on the right foot. We were told upon arrival, that we were being upgraded to a "poolside room". We were told that this room was actually more like an efficiency--with a stove, a microwave and a fridge. That's where the good feelings ended. The room was located on the second floor of the building that sits between the two pools--not in the large main building. We were located on the 2nd floor, with no elevator--so we had to drag our luggage up a fairly tight set of stairs. The room was old, old, old. The kitchen had no pots, pans, dishes, glasses, silverware, no dish soap, paper towels or anything else--essentially it was useless to us. The wall to the outside had tall ceiling-to-floor windows--kind of like you'd see at a retail store. It required huge curtains and blinds--with tangled pull-cords which were almost impossible to operate. The bathroom had mildew. The flooring was old. The bed was uncomfortable. The bedding seemed old as well. We called the front desk to request some wash cloths and they said someone one would be by to drop some off. No one ever showed up.

Aside from the accomodations: we did visit the bar-restaurant our first night there. We ordered pina coladas. They tasted like melted plastic. My wife took one sip--it was all she could handle.

This place is on cruise control--heading down hill. These guys can't even fake that they're trying.

The only a few positive comments I can muster: the concierge was very helpful, the wireless internet worked well, and this place actually is on the beach--but so are a thousand other places.

Avoid this place. They don't deserve your business.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jinglz
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My boyfriend and then family stayed here before we departed on our cruise. Away from the busier and more expensive Ft. Lauderdale, this was a great place to relax at for the days prior to our cruise. Two pools, a good pizza place across the street and a uncrowded beach were very nice. The rooms had comfortable beds.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2009

There were some minor problems with our stay, but the view from our room and balcony more than made up for any problems! This is a non-smoking establishment and they enforce the policy in the rooms and on the balconies. Outside there are designated smoking areas. We stayed in the hotel, rather than the villas so only had a coffeemaker and mini fridge. The rooms have been renovated and upgraded, but the bathroom could have used some upgrading as it was quite dated. You had to jiggle the handle after flushing the toilet to stop it from running and the drain plug didn't work in the tub, so you could only shower. The pool area was very nice with a windbreak for days when it is cooler and to prevent blowing sand. You could get a cushion for your lounge chair for a nominal fee. Or, you could get a lounge, cushion and/or umbrella for beach lounging. There is a nice restaurant and bar on site, as well as a tiki bar by the pool. There are also a couple of eateries right across the street. The rooms that face the pool get sun all day, so you could sit on your personal balcony and get some sun. I just can't say enough about the view from our oceanfront balcony! I took photos of the sunrise that were postcard perfect. The view, the sound of the ocean and the breeze blowing in our room without a doubt made any little problems absolutely insignificant. In fact, because the weather was going to be lousy in Orlando, we extended our stay an additional night. I would definitely stay here again, but only if I could have an oceanfront room!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We were extremely pleased with the large room, which overlooked the ocean and had a large balcony. The staff was very friendly, and the concierge gave us excellent dining recommendations. Take a half day or one day to tour the intracoastal waterway on a water taxi ($13 per person). It takes you to shopping at Las Olas. Riverside Inn was an excellent restaurant recommended by the concierge. The Aruba restaurant had great grouper sandwiches, and Ham and Egg place had incredible breakfasts. This is a great family getaway hotel, a little off the faster paced South Beach or Miami Beach scene. If you've got a rental car, I recommend staying at The Beachcomber and traveling into South Beach or up to Palm Beach for day trips.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank TexasPalms
Reviewed January 20, 2009

After already booking this hotel with Expedia, I started reading the reviews. I was somewhat apprehensive, but I found more positive reviews than negative. Yes this is an older hotel, but we were extremely happy with our stay. The accessability to the beach was fantastic, the pool was clean and heated, and the Tiki Bar was very handy. We were impressed with Rachael the bartender on Saturday and just as pleased with Steve on Sunday and Monday. The food in the restaraunt was very good, especially the breakfast. Within 5 minutes of the hotel was another great restaraunt named "Houstons". Fabulous meal and sits on the intracoastal waterway. Another great dining experience was the Mai-Kai restaraunt. What a fantastic dinner show and the food was excellent. Other things to do in Pompano Beach is the going to see the Goodyear blimp at Pompano Beach airport and an airboat trip through the everglades with Loxahatchee Airboat Tours. Saw 8 gators and mutliple birds. Bottom line, the Beachcomber Hotel is well worth the money and we plan on returning very soon.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
Sea Steps Suites
Sea Steps Suites
#7 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!