“Truly a hidden Gem”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was our second stay at the Beachcomber and as I said in my last review, it will not be our last. My cousins and I take a girls trip every year and it is unanimous that this will be our "go to" place for many years to come. This hotel definitely has a retro feel to it. Those of you that love the sleek modern look of other hotels may not appreciate the retro, Cuban, resort, 1950's feel of this place. But I encourage you to give it a try even if modern is your taste because the pride, and customer service offered in this hotel will change your mind. From the people at the front desk, to the pool and beach crew, to the food and beverage staff, this place is over the top on customer service. I love sitting at the pool or tikki bar and having Steve, Gloria and Kelly taking care of me. Steve makes a bloody mary that can't be beat, Kelly needs to have her own television show, and Gloria offers the best service and advice on bars and restaurants besides the Beachcomber. My cousin and I ended up sitting at Kelly's bar at the pool until VERY late into the night because she was so much fun and her energy and personality created such a FUN environment. Javier is very attentive as are the other beach and pool crew. Harris is a celebrity in our eyes and we were so excited to finally meet him this year in person. The rooms are well appointed, clean and very comfortable and the view even from the non ocean front rooms is really breathtaking. I could go on and on about this place, but the bottom line is it is clean beyond belief, has good food for poolside snacks and breakfast, great drinks, a fun happy hour, a fun tikki bar and a beautiful beach to enjoy. If I had to write a few things to "sort of" complain about, they would not even be complaints, just things that would make this place even better, but it would be these things:
1. The blanket and sheets on the beds are clean and perfectly fine but I love a hotel with extra fluffy bedding and the down comforters. The blankets here are just a touch outdated and scratchy.
2. I don't love that there is a charge for the chairs on the beach, especially because they are not the most comfortable, but good enough that I will still pay.
3. I hate the flourescent lighting, I love when all the bulbs have softer lighting, because the hotel is older it can possibly make the room look a little more harsh.
4. The tub and toilets are a little slow to drain and flush. But by no means is this not tolerable, and probably not noticeable to many.
5. maybe not the hotels responsibility but the cigarette butts on the beach were kind of gross. I saw one guy put his cig out and leave it in a kids sandcastle. This was the whole beach, not just the beachcomber though. It is just so gross to see kids playing in the sand and see them sifting thru old butts. Not sure what the hotel can even do about this except maybe tell guests not to do this, or put ashtrays out there?? I am also hyper sensitive about this so maybe it is not even an issue.

Every other thing about this place is perfect. I stay at 5 star hotels in Mexico and this place is as good and better in many areas. You for sure have to go in with the mindset that this is not a big hotel chain. It really is a slice of paradise. Also, for the price it cannot be beat.

Room Tip: The rooms by the tikki can be louder later evenings only on weekends, and when I say later I mean li...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed for three nights. First night put us in the older section with cabana style room. Didn't make it far into the room to realize this would not work. Next door neighbors have huge party that we could hear through the paper thin walls. Room also smelled musty. Front desk staff excellent. Relocated us to a room in main hotel which was fine. Then moved us to ocean view with balcony for next two nights. Excellent location. Most rooms have mini fridge and microwave. Good restaurant options at hotel. Very clean. Very reasonably priced. Which they had softer pillows. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Basically two different type of hotels in one location so research before you reserve your room to b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. Great price for an ocean view room that truly was ocean view! Our room was large with a king bed. Very comfortable, clean and well furnished. Large balcony with two full size recliners and a beautiful ocean view. The cocktails at the Tiki Bar during happy hour were very good and reasonably priced. Had dinner at their indoor restaurant and it was excellent. The mahi mahi was superb and the filet mignon was cooked perfectly! Breakfast by the pool the next morning was also very good. Check-in/out was quick and efficient. All of the staff that we encountered was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I live about 15-20 minutes north in Boca Raton so this was a perfect inexpensive mini vacation on the beach and quick little get-a-way for my boyfriend & I. Staff was friendly, slept well, and after check-out we went to the outdoor tiki bar for lunch and drinks. Steve, the bartender, is the man! Such an entertaining guy. He even gave us a permanent parking pass so that we could come back whenever we wanted to lay out on their beach or pool chairs. They even have two hammocks hanging from palm trees in the sand. Very relaxing place. We went back a few times throughout the summer, Steve always remembered both our names. We'll be back again soon.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hova88
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This was an overnight stop on our way through the state. The price was great for an ocean front room. It looks as if the hotel has recently undergone a renovation as the furniture and room was very nice and well decorated. The room was large, with a small fridge & microwave. We had a nice size balcony with two full size chaise lounge chairs. There is a restaurant on site with decent food. I would suggest sticking to sandwiches or simple fare. The higher priced items were not great for the money.
Here is the downside: the walls are paper thin. We could here EVERYTHING from the adjoining room. Additionally, being ocean front means that the doors to the room tend to slam with the wind in the hallways. Also, the stairwell is at that end of the hall and the wind creates a vacuum causing that door to slam as well. If you get quiet neighbors, you will love this place, if not, just remind yourself that you got a great price for an ocean front room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jenrainey
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is an absolutely beautiful hotel. You can't beat the view. You are literally steps from the beach. Our room was very spacious. The balcony is also very spacious. I could have sat out there for hours with that amazing view. Our room was very clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melis_76
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the Beachcomber at the end of September, and have stayed there on and off for many years. We loved the place years ago , but after the owner died, we were not always pleased with our stay. The hotel had gotten very old, and needed a lot of updating. We decided it was time to try it again, because we love the location and the smallness of the resort. We had always stayed in the hotel, but this time stayed in a pool deck room that had been updated. We loved our room, and loved the fact that the hotel, and pool area, are being refurbished. The grounds and beach were as beautiful as ever. The restaurant menu was current, competitively priced, and the waitstaff outstanding. The pool chairs and umbrellas were charming, and really kicked the place up a notch. The only negative to some may be the temperature of the pool water. During the summer it's fine, but through the fall months, Sept., Oct., the pool is not heated, and it is quite chilly. Since we love the ocean as well, it was not a big deal, but worth mentioning. All in all, it was a great trip, and we will be anxious to go back after all of the renovations are completed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Sea Steps Suites
Sea Steps Suites
#7 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!