“Pleasant for me, BUT....”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Okay I want to first start off by saying had i read all the reviews before going here I probably not have booked. now let me give my unbiased take on this. First of all, I am a VERY picky business professional and i do not normally stay in places that are not four or five star and have VERY good reputations. Because I was going with a friend however I did compromise and stay at Beachcomber. Anyways, I do understand where some of the reviewers are coming from when they said the rooms smelled musty....I did notice it to a degree there and at another hotel I stayed at. On my trip there was only one that I stayed at that was not musty and it was a VERY high class hotel west of town. Secondly, I did also notice the very strong febreeze smell in the hallways, which I thought was very pleasant. As far as the service goes, all of the associates were pretty pleasant to me (perhaps because I am very professional looking and act professional). However, I did notice one of the not so gentleman on the phone giving someone who was calling for a reservation quite an attitude. had that been me, I would have NEVER stayed at this resort. The customer service there is definitely not top notch and certainly could use a major overhaul. When i walk into a place, I expect to be greeted with a smile and this clearly did not happen. The only smile I get is from the lady who found me attractive. Anyways. As far as the cleaning people go, they were very friendly and did speak to me so whoever wrote that they cant speak english is clearly misinformed. i will say I did get my room for $85 on weekdays and $115 on weekend nights which was very good considering what you get. its very hard to get a beachfront resort for that price with parking and resort fees included. i did not see any crazy bugs or anything else in the room either. It is obvious the hotel is dated but my room was all new and it was actually pretty nice. I would have def preferred a modern or contemporary look but they did a pretty good job of remodeling the hotel from what I noticed, minus the sink that did not drain properly. Also a plus was the huge tv that comes in the rooms. Would I stay here again? Well, if I was on a budget quite possibly IF i HAD to have a beach front hotel. I would much rather get a hotel in the suburbs for the same price that was 4 or 5 star which I have and did do later on this trip. Maybe that's my personality preference tho. One final thing, the free towel rental.....nice gesture but the towels look like old rags. DEFINITELY need to purchase new towels...and if you lose them, $25? wow. Not what I call a fair deal. i would say the towels were worth about 50 cents.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank VinVanderbilt
Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The views are worth the price, and its the view that will make it worth it, so if you go, I would recommend getting an ocean view room. The staff was very friendly at the front desk and the room was clean and inviting. However, the halls of the hotel and elevators smell a bit like a pool locker room, damp. My room was fine, and did not smell, neither did the dining room. I saw guests coming in from the pool and the beach dripping wet on the carpet, and I imagine this is was accounts for the damp smell in the halls (not sure why people don't use towels). Speaking of towels, you get a coupon when you check in for towels poolside. Some of these towels are threat bare and need replacing. The breakfast served at the dining room was excellent, both for presentation and taste, but the coffee was consistently cold. To make the coffee quickly available for guests, it is placed in carafes after it is brewed. But it can sit in the carafes for some time depending on how busy the dining room is, which results in cold coffee. I heard other guests complain the coffee was cold, only to have a replacement cup filled from the same cold carafe. On a final note, parking is tight and limited, especially on weekends when there are functions and the bar, which is open to the public, and gets busy. I enjoyed my room (which was very quiet), loved the view, thought the price for value was excellent, but cold coffee and those damp smelling halls kept me from giving it a five. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth the extra cost. For families with kids, ground floor near the pool migh...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 01dale
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been here 2 weeks total. The facility is very nice, well kept and clean. The Staff has been exceptionally nice. The food is great too and reasonably priced. I had an ocean view room for $115 a night and the view of the beach & pool is wonderful. I have stayed in Newport Beach, CA and paid triple the price for much less. This resort is a paradise.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view and room #110 if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike E
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I went to Pompano beach on a whim, using the last minute travel. The beachcomber had a special and I decided to splurge on an oceanfront room--I did not regret it!
I was supposed to go with a friend, but a family emergency caused them to be unable to come, and I ended up going alone. It was lovely and relaxing and I can see how this hotel would be an excellent place for a solo visit as well as a couple's visit or a family vacation. There were quite few families at the hotel, and the laughter from the pool made me smile.
The balcony provided and AMAZING view of the ocean and some palms on the beach; and allowed me to spend hours outside in the shade of the balcony when the sun was too hot to be on the beach. it would be a perfect place to cuddle (or in my case, curl up with a good book).
I went for walks, collected seashells, ate at the poolside eatery, visited the restaurant across the street for some dinner and company, took a dip at the sparkling pool, and generally had a marvelous time.
It is a quiet hotel, not in the middle of massive hotel-stretches, but snug within condos and other houses. It is perfect for a quiet getaway.
The room was clean, the bed was comfy.
The staff was attentive and polite; and when I had a problem in the room (the balcony light was flickering) they sent someone right away to take care of it; and he did so pleasantly and without the sometimes aura of being 'bothered' that staff in some hotels can give out.
I loved it.
I'm planning on going back!

Room Tip: Fork up a bit more for an oceanfront room. You will not regret it. The ocean-view rooms are really f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank NYinNYC
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My sister and I decided we were going to take a vacation. We had never been to Florida and just happened to come across this hotel. It was such a perfect place to stay. Kelly at the Tiki bar should get a bonus just for being so awesome.I would definitely bring the whole family back here for a vacation. thanks Kelly

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank diane l
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here over the 4th of July. The property is beautiful, the rooms are nice, the OF balconies are awesome, but the best thing I found here was the Staff. Every single one of them acted like they had just won $500!!! In fact, I asked a waitress while eating breakfast by the pool "how is it that everyone who works here is so happy?" Her answer was - "We love working here!" And it shows. The place was clean, the landscaping was really pretty, the tiki bar was fun (but a little pricey at $10/drink - but hey - it's vacation), and the beach was lovely. I loved having breakfast by the pool facing the ocean and it was good for $8 as was the coffee!! I didn't give it 5 stars because it is a little older property, but I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Spent the extra few $$ for the oceanfront room, the huge balconies are wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BRK814
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We did a girls getaway here 6-22-13 through 6-26-13. Our oceanfront room (#811) was worth the addtional money. The rooms were beautifully decorated in a Hemingway sort of theme and had a fridge and microwave. The large balcony had two comfortable padded chaise lounges with a fantastic view of the sunrise and the super moon! They have 2 pools, plenty of seating, and a nice beach. They even have a dining room set up on the beach. The Beachcomber also had the best hotel staff I've encountered traveling worldwide. From the time we arrived, Darby and Julene answered every question and made awesome restaurant recommendations for us - seafood the first day (The Fish Shack), steaks the second day, Italian the third day (Zucarelli's), and Mexican the last day (La Bamba). The hotel is located in a perfect spot on A1A halfway between Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton. It is a quiet area surrounded by timeshares, with not a lot of hustle and bustle of the Lauderdale beaches. I would give it more than 5 stars if there were more available.

Room Tip: Choose the oceanfront rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
#7 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Surfside Resort
Surfside Resort
#11 of 38 in Pompano Beach

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!