“Very relaxing!!”

Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Boston
“Very relaxing!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I was so nervous about staying at this hotel after I had read all the bad reviews...bed bugs, dirty rooms etc. I called the hotel and asked them what the story was. I was going to cancel my reservation. I was assured that is was a clean and friendly hotel. Ok, so I kept my reservation and my fingers crossed. Well, I have to say I did not have any issues at all. The staff was very accomadating and friendly. The maids were always cleaning. The carpeting in the room did stand out as very worn compared to the nicely decorated room. I had an ocean view room and it was wonderful.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2008
2 Thank Rocheyp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
canton,mi
Reviewed January 28, 2008

The hotel was clean and the staff friendly and very helpful. It was on the ocean, nice beach area. The pool was clean and warm to swim in. It was a very enjoyable stay. would go back again.

• Liked — the beach and the pool
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank sue19992002
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed January 22, 2008

This hotel was a "package" deal booked via Travelocity. The Beachcomber looked nice enough online, so we selected the Beachcomber Resort & Villa. I'm not much to complain about little tiny things so I wont start now. HEADS UP -- be very aware, that if you travel US Airways, by way of Travelocity – your flights might not be what they have on paper – our flights were different both to and from Florida – so be careful and CHECK! It was a good thing that my travel plans were flexible!

We checked into the Beachcomber around 12:00 and was told we had been “upgraded” to a room with a patio. My parents & sister had to wait hours before checking into their rooms, and were also told they were upgraded as well. There is ample parking out in front of the hotel and across the street, for those who don’t mind a little walk and like a spot away from other vehicles. Our room was 108, large enough room, comfortable beds, the bathroom was a little outdated, as was the entire building. We had a patio facing the pool and got direct afternoon sun -- which I truly enjoyed! We could see the beach and ocean from our patio. The bathroom, like I said, was old. When taking a shower, the tub filled up because it was not draining properly. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. Although, if you wanted a lounge chair at the pool, get there early to get your one yellow beach towel per person. My parents stayed in Room 511 and they loved it. This ocean front room seemed to be more updated and clean. My sister stayed in room 201, and it looked similar to 108, just up one floor and their balcony overlooked the glass top roof of the vestibule – and it flooded when it rained!

Around the area were mostly other hotels and resorts, so if you were looking for places to eat, you either ate at another resort (kind of pricey) -- or you needed a car to get to Route 1 over the bridge by turning off of Atlantic Avenue. There were many places to eat. We ate at Houston’s the first night (which is directly off Atlantic) -- and it was wonderful, but pricey. I would recommend Umberto’s right on Atlantic before you get to Ocean Blvd. Wonderful Italian place and the food was fantastic!

Other than "Stingers Cafe”, directly across the street from our hotel, there were not many places to find a quick bite. The staff at Stingers Cafe acted more as if they were annoyed you were there! Almost hurt me to hand over my money, but we were hungry, and the grub was edible! But I did not go again, simply because the lady was not very nice.

Knowing what I know now, and seeing all of the other hotels in the same area, I do not think I would go back to Beachcomber Resort and Villa. It was safe, the grounds were pretty, and they tried. It had great access to the beach (easy step off the sun deck, and voila, you were on the beach – what else could you ask for)

• Liked — Beautiful access to the beach
  • Disliked — Oldness of the interior of the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank klocco1
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 16, 2008

I just came back from a week at the Beachcomber. I was a bit unsure with all of the negative reviews that were written on how my experience was going to be.

I had the most enjoyable visit at the BeachComber. The hotel staff was friendly and accomodating. The rooms were nice and clean. The room had comfortable beds and a small kitchenette.

I stayed in an oceanview room and it was so lovely. The Beachcomber has comfortable lounge chairs on your balcony overlooking the ocean. It was so nice and relaxing. Luis the pool manager is very helpful getting you set up for a day in the sun and sand!

The first full day I had breakfast delivered to my room. My frenchtoast was hot and the sausages cooked perfect. Well worth it to sit on your balcony and enjoy the day. The hotel is directly on the beach and not far from the local Grocery store.

I would most definatly return to the Beachcomber, hopefully when my daughter has ber baby in April.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — I wish they took small dogs.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank MinPinMom
Baltimore
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We originally went to Florida for my birthday and thought we were staying at Paradise Beach Hotel (now closed) again- THANK YOU 411 for giving the wrong phone number. This was a mjaor upgrade!!!

Absolutely a great view, beautiful place to stay, the pool is nice and well kept and the tiki bar is open every day at 11am. Staff was courteous and friendly. We stayed for a week in October and got to know the bartender Rachel who made my birthday great. So much so we came back for Thanksgiving!

Friendly and fun- exactly what you want when you are out relaxing and enjoying the water. On this trip we got to meet Steve who works on alternate days to Rachel- also great, funny, and had a great recommendation for a sports bar to watch football. The pool was clean and well kept, the room was large and looked right out to the ocean. Menu there for breakfast is a little limited but there are plenty of places to explore at nearby Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.

Inside we met Lee working the Lounge bar for the happy hour/evening crowd- on this last trip they started redecorating that area and extended hours at the tiki bar so we still had a place to hang out.

I agree about the bathrooms- the water pressure is amazing and will definitely power wash any sand off you but the drains cannot keep up and frequently my feet were ankle deep in water.

Rooms are big and with the ocean view we kept our door open plenty and a/c was not a problem.

I am a fan of the independently owned places and this place has a lot of character, charm, and relaxing appeal. If you are looking for a commercial hotel I wouldn't recommend but if you want to be welcomed by name after the first day I would definitely make this a place to go.

• Liked — View, Bartenders
  • Disliked — Drainage
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MvngFwd
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I was unimpresed with the Beachcomber from the start.

The lobby was dingy and so outdated that it was almost comical. The woman working the front desk was not friendly. She did not smile. I started getting really worried....

Then I walked into my room, and my fears were confirmed. The room was outdated and dark. The carpet was disgusting -- bring flipflops! The only redeeming thing about the room was the balcony with the fabulous view.

The internet did not work in my room. When I asked the concierge about this, he replied "Oh yes, the internet does not work in the oceanfront rooms because of the signal is not strong enough. You will have to come down to the lobby to get a signal." Funny, because when I booked the oceanfront room (and paid extra for it), the website specifically stated that there was complimentary internet access.

I did not eat in the restaurant. Probably because it looked like a joke. We are talking bright orange curtains, fake white pillars, totally 70's decor. Oh I could go on and on.

The maid service was an inconvenience. They would not come until 4PM each day, and took there sweet time cleaning the room. They would keep coming in and out and would only do one little thing at a time. They would not even knock, even though they knew we were in the room. It was so annoying.

Again, the only redeeming quality of the beachcomber was the wonderful balcony, and of course being right on the beach. If you decide to stay here don't expect much. This hotel needs an entire renovation to bring it out of the 70's and into the 21st century.

• Liked — being right on the beach
  • Disliked — the dirty, dingy rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank HannahBee123
Toronto
Reviewed November 27, 2007

The Beachcomber was an okay place to stay. We had a room on the first floor with a little terrace that walked out to the pool area. The pools and the beach were clean and well looked after. The room was well decorated and the bed was comfortable to sleep on. I have to say that it was noisey though, the walls were pretty thin and you could easily hear people coming in and out of the pool area, doors slamming and people talking. I also found the hallways to be dingy and there were always towels and linens laying around in the hall.
The location isn't great for nightlife either, it's pretty far to the mall or local bars - you would definately need to rent a car or take a cab.
All in all, it was just okay.

• Liked — Beach and pool area
  • Disliked — dirty hallways
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends