“Lot's of other places to Stay”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed January 22, 2008

This hotel was a "package" deal booked via Travelocity. The Beachcomber looked nice enough online, so we selected the Beachcomber Resort & Villa. I'm not much to complain about little tiny things so I wont start now. HEADS UP -- be very aware, that if you travel US Airways, by way of Travelocity – your flights might not be what they have on paper – our flights were different both to and from Florida – so be careful and CHECK! It was a good thing that my travel plans were flexible!

We checked into the Beachcomber around 12:00 and was told we had been “upgraded” to a room with a patio. My parents & sister had to wait hours before checking into their rooms, and were also told they were upgraded as well. There is ample parking out in front of the hotel and across the street, for those who don’t mind a little walk and like a spot away from other vehicles. Our room was 108, large enough room, comfortable beds, the bathroom was a little outdated, as was the entire building. We had a patio facing the pool and got direct afternoon sun -- which I truly enjoyed! We could see the beach and ocean from our patio. The bathroom, like I said, was old. When taking a shower, the tub filled up because it was not draining properly. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. Although, if you wanted a lounge chair at the pool, get there early to get your one yellow beach towel per person. My parents stayed in Room 511 and they loved it. This ocean front room seemed to be more updated and clean. My sister stayed in room 201, and it looked similar to 108, just up one floor and their balcony overlooked the glass top roof of the vestibule – and it flooded when it rained!

Around the area were mostly other hotels and resorts, so if you were looking for places to eat, you either ate at another resort (kind of pricey) -- or you needed a car to get to Route 1 over the bridge by turning off of Atlantic Avenue. There were many places to eat. We ate at Houston’s the first night (which is directly off Atlantic) -- and it was wonderful, but pricey. I would recommend Umberto’s right on Atlantic before you get to Ocean Blvd. Wonderful Italian place and the food was fantastic!

Other than "Stingers Cafe”, directly across the street from our hotel, there were not many places to find a quick bite. The staff at Stingers Cafe acted more as if they were annoyed you were there! Almost hurt me to hand over my money, but we were hungry, and the grub was edible! But I did not go again, simply because the lady was not very nice.

Knowing what I know now, and seeing all of the other hotels in the same area, I do not think I would go back to Beachcomber Resort and Villa. It was safe, the grounds were pretty, and they tried. It had great access to the beach (easy step off the sun deck, and voila, you were on the beach – what else could you ask for)

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank klocco1

Reviewed January 16, 2008

I just came back from a week at the Beachcomber. I was a bit unsure with all of the negative reviews that were written on how my experience was going to be.

I had the most enjoyable visit at the BeachComber. The hotel staff was friendly and accomodating. The rooms were nice and clean. The room had comfortable beds and a small kitchenette.

I stayed in an oceanview room and it was so lovely. The Beachcomber has comfortable lounge chairs on your balcony overlooking the ocean. It was so nice and relaxing. Luis the pool manager is very helpful getting you set up for a day in the sun and sand!

The first full day I had breakfast delivered to my room. My frenchtoast was hot and the sausages cooked perfect. Well worth it to sit on your balcony and enjoy the day. The hotel is directly on the beach and not far from the local Grocery store.

I would most definatly return to the Beachcomber, hopefully when my daughter has ber baby in April.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank MinPinMom
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We originally went to Florida for my birthday and thought we were staying at Paradise Beach Hotel (now closed) again- THANK YOU 411 for giving the wrong phone number. This was a mjaor upgrade!!!

Absolutely a great view, beautiful place to stay, the pool is nice and well kept and the tiki bar is open every day at 11am. Staff was courteous and friendly. We stayed for a week in October and got to know the bartender Rachel who made my birthday great. So much so we came back for Thanksgiving!

Friendly and fun- exactly what you want when you are out relaxing and enjoying the water. On this trip we got to meet Steve who works on alternate days to Rachel- also great, funny, and had a great recommendation for a sports bar to watch football. The pool was clean and well kept, the room was large and looked right out to the ocean. Menu there for breakfast is a little limited but there are plenty of places to explore at nearby Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.

Inside we met Lee working the Lounge bar for the happy hour/evening crowd- on this last trip they started redecorating that area and extended hours at the tiki bar so we still had a place to hang out.

I agree about the bathrooms- the water pressure is amazing and will definitely power wash any sand off you but the drains cannot keep up and frequently my feet were ankle deep in water.

Rooms are big and with the ocean view we kept our door open plenty and a/c was not a problem.

I am a fan of the independently owned places and this place has a lot of character, charm, and relaxing appeal. If you are looking for a commercial hotel I wouldn't recommend but if you want to be welcomed by name after the first day I would definitely make this a place to go.

3  Thank MvngFwd
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I was unimpresed with the Beachcomber from the start.

The lobby was dingy and so outdated that it was almost comical. The woman working the front desk was not friendly. She did not smile. I started getting really worried....

Then I walked into my room, and my fears were confirmed. The room was outdated and dark. The carpet was disgusting -- bring flipflops! The only redeeming thing about the room was the balcony with the fabulous view.

The internet did not work in my room. When I asked the concierge about this, he replied "Oh yes, the internet does not work in the oceanfront rooms because of the signal is not strong enough. You will have to come down to the lobby to get a signal." Funny, because when I booked the oceanfront room (and paid extra for it), the website specifically stated that there was complimentary internet access.

I did not eat in the restaurant. Probably because it looked like a joke. We are talking bright orange curtains, fake white pillars, totally 70's decor. Oh I could go on and on.

The maid service was an inconvenience. They would not come until 4PM each day, and took there sweet time cleaning the room. They would keep coming in and out and would only do one little thing at a time. They would not even knock, even though they knew we were in the room. It was so annoying.

Again, the only redeeming quality of the beachcomber was the wonderful balcony, and of course being right on the beach. If you decide to stay here don't expect much. This hotel needs an entire renovation to bring it out of the 70's and into the 21st century.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank HannahBee123
Reviewed November 27, 2007

The Beachcomber was an okay place to stay. We had a room on the first floor with a little terrace that walked out to the pool area. The pools and the beach were clean and well looked after. The room was well decorated and the bed was comfortable to sleep on. I have to say that it was noisey though, the walls were pretty thin and you could easily hear people coming in and out of the pool area, doors slamming and people talking. I also found the hallways to be dingy and there were always towels and linens laying around in the hall.
The location isn't great for nightlife either, it's pretty far to the mall or local bars - you would definately need to rent a car or take a cab.
All in all, it was just okay.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Mirelle B
Reviewed November 13, 2007

We stayed at the Beachcomber the week of November 8th....I wish I didn't have to give this hotel only two stars, but our room was so dirty I couldn't believe it...
The room itself is great...the furnishings are cool...we had a suite which had a refrig/microwave in it....the bed was fine....the windows had cool cherry wood plantation shutters...the deck was very large with padded lounge chairs...no privacy though...right next to someone else's balcony...we had a side view of ocean which was fine...push the chairs all the way back and a much better ocean view...
Okay now for the cleanliness part...on the surface it looked fine...except they need to rip up the carpeting, its stained everywhere...but I understand they are going to be renovating the rooms...I hope they do because this hotel has a lot of potential...the bathroom was gross...we removed our tp from the holder because the holder had caked on grime...the maid service was horrendous...we stayed for 5 nights, and our sheets were changed with new ones once. Our carpet was never vacuumed...the bathroom floor was partially cleaned one time...no surfaces were wiped down...and one day the maid actually asked my husband, " you don't want your room made up today do you?"...hows that for maid service...we were astonished...it was hard to get past that whole sceanario...but the actual room is cool...and the hotel is nice...like I said there will be a lot of potential if they renovate nicely, and remove the nasty carpeting....the shower was weird...good pressure, but a loss of gallons and gallons of water because the shower didn't work right, a lot of water was lost down drain, because it didnt' work properly...was never really that hot...I hate taking a shower, and wind up standing in 2 feet of water that won't drain down tub....towels were fine...and fairly abundant...parking was fine, we always found a spot....would we stay here again...maybe, it depends on what they renovate, or if they take care of the maid and cleanliness issues....because other than that, it was a pretty cool hotel...

Some positives, which are worth mentioning....We had great service from Michael Lynn, who took care of us, and we thank him for that...and I really do feel bad to give the hotel only two stars, but the cleanliness factor was bad...Also, there was a good chef at the hotel, because we got room service one night, and the dinner was very good....breakfast was decent, nothing special, as we had a rate that included free breakfast and two cocktails each day...but what they didn't disclose, is the breakfast that was free, is on a different menu than the regular menu...When we ordered the first morning, and showed our coupons, the waitress promptly took our menus, and told us we had different menus to order off of...I think thats petty for a hotel to do that...but whatever....it was free...just kind of cheesy thing to do....however the free cocktails were well worth it, as I was able to have great cosmos martinis on them...they have a great older gentlemen bartender from Chicago...Also there was a breakfast waitress a lovely woman from France, she was awesome, and made my husband special strong coffee....and also the blonde hostess was very friendly and nice...the tiki bar was fine, but not open too late...we never went in the pools, they were too cold...supposed to be heated but didn't feel that way....we went to the beach which was very nice...again, petty stuff the hotel does...why wouldn't a hotel that wants to be classy, and charges 175 dollars a night include a beach chair? That was extra, and umbrella was extra...we laid on towels on the beach...The hotel also had a sweet kitten, too young for someone to not take care of...people who were guest fed it...and I believe some hotel staff do too...it was so sweet and friendly, but I hope someone snags it and brings it home with them, as the little guy deserved better treatment than whoever owned it...it was too young, and not neutered to be on its own all night long...but hotel staff seemed to be fine with it being there...they were nice to the cat....the pool guys were both cool guys...the pool area, and all the landscaping was terrific...actually quite appealing and beautiful....so why can't they keep a clean room....shame because I would have given it an easy 4 stars, had it been clean...

2  Thank reddobie
Reviewed November 11, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. We usually stay at the Pelican, but it was sold out. We were a little leary of this hotel based on some of the reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised. We booked an oceanfront room and it was very roomy with a small kitchen...a wonderful view of the ocean.

A few things we thought we should mention...the cost to rent a beach chair is $5/day and if you want a cushion it is an additional $2/day; an umbrella is an additional $10/day. The restaurant is reasonably priced for breakfast but service is slow; it is a bit pricey for lunch with not alot of choices. The parking is a bit tight. The free wi-fi internet is slow. The elevators are old and one was always in service while we were there. The cable needs definite upgrading. The hotel only has about 7 channels that includes HBO..but that was the only good channel. We were on the 8th floor and we had to let the water run for at least 10 minutes in the shower before we got warm water...we never got hot water. The sink was worse. The carpet in our room was dirty and spotted and needed definite replacing or deep cleaning.

Even though I mentioned alot of negatives....the view and the price was well worth it.

1  Thank Michelita1