“such a lovely place”

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My twin sister and I flew to Ft. Lauderdale from Charleston, WV in celebration of our 50th birthday. We had originally booked the Ocean Manor at Galt Ocean Mile. After cancelling at the OM the 1st day of our trip (long story....filthy flop house), we came across the Beachcomber to finish out our stay in the area. The staff were wonderful and so accommodating. They recognized our plight and put us in a lovely 5th floor, ocean view room at a very affordable rate! Our stay there was joyous. The appointed details of the hotel interior and the architectural style of the resort, was quite unique and charming. We so enjoyed our roomy balcony with cushioned chaise lounges! Everything you needed was right there, and everyone was so kind and friendly. We hope to visit there again very soon. Thank you Margaret, Ed and Brian for making our stay there so wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kari d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Like SusanGP, I too read previous reviews and was skeptical about staying here. That all changed when I called to reconfirm my reservation and Bernard helped me choose a more suitable room based on the length of time I was staying. When I arrived I understood what he meant as an extremely friendly Latoria and Brian gave me an 8th floor room with a spectacular view of the ocean and the pool. WOW!! The room is large and beautifully furnished with subtle, relaxing colors. The bed is huge and comfortable. I slept like a baby. The door leading to the balcony has plantation shutters which is so much better than blinds or curtains. The balcony has two large and comfortable lounge chairs. I love the refrigerator and microwave which allows me to have my favorite fresh squeezed orange juice, sweet tea, and snacks, like popcorn, immediately available. The shower is the best you will find anywhere. Thank God for old plumbing - you get the full force of the shower and it is absolutely exhilarating. The housekeeping staff is so friendly and did a very thorough job of cleaning the room. The common areas are very clean and well maintained which made me think that the previous reviews were mostly written during the extensive renovation period. I don't know about other rooms, but this 8th floor room is tremendous. I am speaking in the present tense as I am writing this review as I sit in my lounge chair on the balcony. I just couldn't wait to add my two cents and let everyone know that this is not a place to be missed. I had thought about staying at B Ocean in the beginning and am so glad I did not as I saw it yesterday and it is on the opposite side of the street (away from the ocean) and in the midst of the busy "boardwalk" area. This place is ideal for couples and those wishing to enjoy a peaceful retreat. There are plenty of restaurants in driving distance or you can just eat and drink downstairs. I read where someone mentioned the small television. If you came here to watch tv, you should have stayed home! Well, gotta turn off the computer and enjoy the rest of my trip. This will be my place to stay from now on. Make it yours as well - you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Upper floors provide the best views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LadyDJNorthCarolina
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I read the previous reviews and expected some rudeness, some disappointment ie: loud noise, ongoing construction. We found none of that; from check-in to check-out the staff was so friendly and happy to accommodate. The premises are immaculate with lovely well cared for gardens. The view spectacular from our ocean and city view balcony. We've stayed in several hotels along the beach from Miami to Boca Raton and never had such a large balcony with two cushioned lounge chairs! The lounge is small but cozy. Last night they featured a wonderfully talented singer. Food and drinks are of good quality. I can't say anything negative and if you've read any of my previous reviews, I usually have one or two!

Room Tip: I understand some rooms have not been renovated
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SusanGP_10
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed at the Beachcomber Resort and Villas for one night during our motorcycle trip around Florida. We had room 701 an Oceanview king room in the tower in the far corner. It was the only room on the floor where you had to walk outside to get to it but afforded us another view of the Pompano Beach from the little balcony entry way to the room. The room was decorated tastefully but was very run down. The Air conditioning ran but did not cool the room at all so we slept with the door slider open all night listening to a very loud Central A/C unit cooling the rest of the hotel. The refrigerator was dented and had a broken foot pad so it was all lopsided. We had to put a phone book under it so it would at least stand up straight. The bathroom was very dirty. The bed sheets did not fit the bed and kept pulling up to reveal a disgustingly nasty mattress. The TV was outdated with a limited number of channels.
The balcony was large and had a nice view. If they would just update and clean the rooms this place would be perfect!
The most positive aspect of this hotel is the restaurant. The food was delicious and the service impeccable! They have a great piano bar and a very talented gentleman was playing the guitar and singing. Highly recommend the bar and restaurant. The hotel.. not so much.
We would not stay here again but I would visit the restaurant again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We were lucky enough to stay here for the week of Christmas 2011. We have two kids in their early twenties that shared a massive two-queen room, overlooking the ocean with a kitchenette. We parents had a lovely room just below them, also overlooking the ocean. It is not brand new, but there is so much going for this hotel: comfy beds, the superb contact to the oceanfront, the wonderful pools and chairs available both poolside and right on the beach. Good location in Pompano close to other places to eat and have a drink or coffee. The restaurant staff in the hotel - and food - was of a very high standard. The hotel concierges which we met were helpful and friendly characters who not only saved us money with their good advice but found fun things for us to do. STAY HERE! It was great.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The Beachcomber is a lovely property. The halls and public areas are old Florida - think Golden Girls tropical motif - stucco and a little small. But the rooms are beautiful. Get an ocean view room - huge - like an efficiency apartment and beautiful terrace overlooking ocean with two nice loungers. The rooms have nice kitchenette with a two person table - big bedroom/living area and hall with dresser, closet and nice baths. They have been nicely renovated.
The pool and beach here is beautiful and offer a nice restaurant, lounge etc....
A nice week get-away place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank td397
Reviewed January 8, 2012

This hotel is located on a beautiful clean beach. The concierge is a 1person small desk located right in the lobby. The 2 different concierge men I delt with were friendly. There is a bus stop that is located in front of the hotel on the other side of the street (very easy to wak across) that will bring you to several locations, including Fort Lauderdale beach area. The bus is super cheap. The hotel also deals with a shuttle company that for a fee can pick you up/take you to the airport (about 20 min away) or the Port Everglades pier (about 15 min away). A shuttle is a MUCH cheaper way than a taxi. The bartender Steve in the tiki bar was one of the best bartenders we have ever encountered! He is very knowledgeable & is great company. John, the bartender that worked in the indoor bar was also great!

We had a oceanview room. This was one of the most beautiful rooms we've ever stayed in (and we've stayed in many upscale hotels). The rooms are more that spacious. They were clean. The bed is extremly comfortable. The closet was a walk in one with a rack to hang clothes. You need to walk through the closet to get to the bathroom, which might seem odd, but it was not uncomfortable. There was a wet bar in the room which included a sink, mini fridge & microwave. On our semi private balcony, there were 2 lounge chairs with lounge body pillow to lay on that must have been about 1.5" think & very comfortable. There was also a little table on the balcony. We were over the pool & had an excellent view of the ocean. The pool did get busy at times, but you never heard it inside the room.

We ate dinner in the hotel restaraunt. The food and service was very good. Not very pricy. We also ate breakfast every day in the hotel as well. The food was delicious & again, not pricy. Do be aware though, that they do include gratuity in food/bar service. I believe that it was 15%, but that wasn't a problem as everyone earned it!

We did have a little minor issue when we got into our room. We couldn't get the ac unit to turn on. There was a thermostat on the wall, but it didn't seem to work. I called down to the front desk & a not so pleasant woman answered & said that someone would be up shortly.I asked if there was anything special that I needed to do with the ac (as I have seen in other hotels, there might be something special that you need to do to get it to kick on) she said "no" with a really snotty attitude. I then walked doen to the front desk about 1/2 hr later as no one has called or came to our room. The not so pleasant woman said to me that she told someone & that they are in the process of doing something with the fire alarm very snotty. I went back up to my room. About 10 minutes later the maintenance man came up. He was very nice. He showed me where in the room (in the closet area) that the switch needs to be switched up for the ac to kick on. I told him that when I called down to the front desk I asked the lady if there was anything special that I needed to do & she said very snotty, "NO". He said that she should have known that. The issue could have been fixed in 10 seconds, not an hour.

When I was checking out the same nasty lady was working at the front desk, which I found her name to be Latoria. I had a question about the bill & she got very short & nasty. All employees that we dealt with were all super nice & friendly except for her. I suggest not asking her for anything that you need or any questions you have.

All in all this was a terrific hotel! ps there is no gym on site but I believe they said that there is one across the street somewhere.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sea Steps Suites
Sea Steps Suites
#7 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!