“Great Pre-Cruise Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Boston MA
“Great Pre-Cruise Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

The Beachcomber was a great choice for our stay the day before our cruise. Right on the beach. We had a wonderfully relaxing day, what a surprising find. The hotel staff was great, helped us arrange transportation to the cruiseport and were very pleasant to deal with througout our stay. Facilities were clean and well maintained. Tiki hut poolside was terrific place to gather and end the evening. The bartender was exceptional! Had breakfast at the Restuarant right off the lobby (twice) - very nice. Lots of other options for food nearby if you prefer something else. My only critique is that there's not much curb appeal but don't let that deter you, it almost frightened us off. Its a whole different world inside, good value for the money and very pleasant on the grounds. Picture submitted, you'll see what I mean.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thanks for selecting the Beachomber as your post cruise destination; glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are just a 14 mile scenic drive north along A1A (the beach) from the Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades Cruiseport which makes us a nice place to stay maintian that tan and help with the back to reality adjustment after cruising the Caribbean. We also are a nice place to stay to put you in the proper frame of mind pre-cruise as well. Thanks for taking full advantage of the resort's food and beverage offerings and mentioning that we are conveinient to other dining and entertainment options in the area. Also appreciate your comment and noticing our lush tropical landscaping throughout the property; we do have some big plans in the near future to upgrade our building exterior and improve our curb appeal. Thanks for being our guest; we hope you will make the Beachcomber your resort of choice whenever you visit Fort Lauderdale whether it be pre/post cruise or as your primary destination.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I had a great time with my room and highly recommend this hotel, but be warned --- your experience likely depends greatly on which room you get. Thankfully, I got a great room with a great view, probably the best in the house. I had a large picture window, and the ocean was literally just 200 meters from my window. However, they have "European Style" rooms and others that may be less desirable, based on other people's reviews. My room was nicely furnished. It had a "home" feeling that was comfortable without being fancy, in contrast to the sterile, highly fancy feeling you get in a Hilton or Westin.

My room had a refrigerator and microwave; I don't know if all the rooms do. The WiFi speed was somewhat slow and intermittent in my room. Part of the time I had to rely on my iPhone to tether. If you're super-private, be warned that the pool-side rooms have venetian blinds that allow others to look into your room a little. This didn't bother me much, but you have to be a little careful where you change your clothes.

The swimming pools are great. I saw lots of folks hanging out by the pools in the copious deck chairs. There was a wide variety of young folks, families with kids, and seniors. There is a little covered bar near the pools where people sit and watch the TV. They have a little pool shop to get towels, sunscreen, etc.

The hotel is right on the beach. They don't charge a resort fee, but you have to pay for extras like Cabanas and beach chairs. They do provide a few hammocks for free on the beach. They don't charge for parking or internet access either, so overall I think it's a great bargain.

You will need a car if you choose this hotel, assuming you wish to see downtown and other FL attractions. The staff is super friendly. I don't know why other people were complaining. I too tried to get a late checkout and only succeeded in extending the stay to 12:00. However, there was another party coming to my room, and frankly I can't blame the hotel. They are in the impossible position of either disappointing me by making me check out on time like I'm supposed to, or disappointing the next guest by making him/her wait for me. The in-house restaurant food (tried hamburger, hotdog, and breakfast omlettes) is okay and home-like, but not awesome. Fortunately, Ft Lauderdale has many great dining alternatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool-side room next to the beach.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Minnesotan001
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for the thorough review. Looks like the person who wrote this review really enjoyed their stay and got to see and experience what the Beachcomber has to offer; which is certainly nice to hear. There was a reference made about our European rooms which are uniquely different just as our pool deck, ocean view, and ocean front rooms, junior suites, 1 bedroom suites, 1 bedroom Villas, and 2 bedroom Villas. The European room is value priced, more intimate size-wise, does not have much of a view, nor does it have a balcony, or a refrigerator/microwave. It is however still a comfortable room and works well for those people who might want to save a little money on their room and typically justify this choice as a place to sleep because they usually spend most of their time out of their room and around the resort facilities anyway. Some folks reserve a European room and are quite content; some do ask to see our other room choices and decide to upgrade to one of our rooms with a view and more space (as long as it is available). I also want to thank this guest for commenting on the tough position we find ourselves in when it comes to being able to extend our expected departure guests much past our posted check out time, simply put; they get it. Please note we are always happy to store luggage for departing guests and certainly allow them to continue to use the resort facilities until they (sadly) have to go. Thanks for being our guest, we appreciate your business and hope to see you back with us again soon.
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband has stayed at the Beachcomber many times and strongly recommended it for our extended weekend trip to the Fort Lauderdale area. We were not disappointed! Our room was immaculate and spacious, the staff was friendly and very attentive and the conveniently located restaurant had great food at reasonable prices. We had a super stay and will surely return!

The Beachcomber property has a rather eclectic lay out with several types of buildings. There is a tall, beautiful,white building which seems to be the main building as well as lower buildings and small villas. There are two pools, one in front of the main building and one near the villas. The grounds are more beautiful that most photos show as there are lush, green plants in a garden like setting everywhere. Some reviews say that it is dated but I did not see that at all. It was clean, well kept yet with lots of charm. To get to the beach you need to walk down a couple of steps. Once there, there are cabanas and lounge chairs for rent. Since it was quite windy we never sat on the beach even though we did go swimming in the ocean.

We arrived at around 1pm and though I knew that check in wasn't until 3pm I went to the reception to let them know that we were here and that we would be happy to wait for the room. No need. The room was already available. It was on the 8th floor with a wonderful view of the pool area as well as a partial view of the beach. It was very spacious (a junior suite)! There was a small eating area with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and coffee. The room itself had a king sized bed and a queen sofa sleeper. It was beautifully decorated with large wooden furniture. The gorgeous balcony had two lounge chairs and a small rattan chair. The bath room was located at the back of the room next to a closet area. It was fairly small but clean and up-to-date. The Internet worked great: easy to connect to and very speedy. The TV was housed in a beautiful cabinet which also held a safe. I particularly liked the quiet air conditioning system which did not wake me up at night as has happened in other hotels. Our son loved how spacious the room was and immediately referred to it as "our apartment".

We spent a lot of time by the pool by the main building. The pool is large and quite deep, between 4-8 feet, which suited us perfectly. There is also a smaller pool on the property but we never made it that far (it also appeared to be quite deep). The pool was never particularly crowded even though the hotel was fully booked and there were plenty of sun beds and even poolside tables available.

We ate several meals at the restaurant by the pool, first because it was convenient and, later, because it was good. The menu was varied and the prices normal for a resort. I am not sure I remember the prices perfectly but I believe that a salad was around $11 and a sandwich $8. Our son enjoyed the jumbo hot dog with fries and the chicken tenders. My husband had the sheekh kebab. It was listed as a starter but with 3 skewers it was enough for a whole meal. The staff was kind and attentive: Service was prompt and helpful even though intense after noon showers sometimes made their job quite unpredictable. The bartender made a particularly strong impression; friendly, personable and very speedy.

We would have loved to have dessert at the restaurant or after dinner coffee, which were not available. Perhaps that could be added sometime in the future.

All-in-all, we had a great time at the Beachcomber and will surely return. The charming property, wonderful room, friendly staff and excellent location are hard to beat! Thank you!

2 Thank Gtrotter84
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
We are very grateful to you for taking the time to offer up such a wonderful review of your most recent experience at the Beachcomber. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and gave such a thorough overview of the property and your overall experience.

As we are sure you know, the Beachcomber's goals are to make sure that we not only meet but exceed our guests' expectations and that we want all of our guests to have a great experience; return and stay with us on a regular and repeat basis. It is much easier to create a long term customer than it is to find new customers; we always want to make sure our first time guests become established long term guests.

Thanks for your loyal patronage; we appreciate your business! Look forward to having you back real soon!
Port Washington, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

After spending a week in Florida we had decided to stay a extra day and booked at the Beachcomber for just a night,It's been a few years since our last visit but plan to return sooner next time.
The grounds are immaculate as always,Staff professional & VERY HELPFUL,The updated rooms since our last stay are outstanding and detailed nice and well done!
Pools warm,sites clean and safe,Location 5 star's ***** and Our updated Ocean view room was vantastic! 5 PLUSS STARS *****!!!!!
I cant say enough good things about this hotel so if your looking for a great beach hotel at reasonable rates,This jewel has them all!

1 Thank dive7mmwet
What more can we say but thank you for the very kind review and your loyal patronage. We look forward to having you back real soon!
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband, 12 year old son and I stayed at this hotel from April 12-19. We had only planned on staying three nights but the place was so great that we extended our stay. If you are looking for pool and beach within steps of each other this is the place. It's quiet, very well taken care of and has great staff. Some reviews I had read before going said the place was getting old and tired but we found that it had character, kind of a Mexican feel to it. The rooms were extremely sound proof, which is important to me, being a light sleeper and the beds were so comfortable. The patio off the room (we had a ocean view room) was FANTASTIC with wonderful sunbeds. We ate at the restaurant a few times and it was very good. Lots of other places to eat not too far away. We would go back again and have already recommended this place to family and friends.

Room Tip: oceanview rooms are great
1 Thank Shelley123232
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 30, 2011
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us; we appreciate the very positive review and of course your business. Do hope you will make the Beachcomber Resort and Villas your home away from home whenever your travels bring you to sunny Greater Fort Lauderdale. Thank you so much!
Fort Wayne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed here on the last few nights of our honeymoon. The only disappointment was that we had reserved a ocean front roon with a king size bed and upon arrival, were told there were no king rooms available. We still got ocean view,but two double beds with no price adjustment. But, the room was beautiful, as were the grounds and pool area. It has a pool side Tiki bar with a very friendly and entertaining bartender, "Steve". Overall, a very pleasant experience. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Glad you did enjoy and do regret that we were unable to honor your request. In researching your reservation, it was reserved for an ocean view room with a request for a 1 king bed. Please note that on certain booking engines we offer specific room types that are confirmed and the bedding is based on request. We do try our best to deliver upon requests such as the bedding configuration, floor preference, near friends & family, and/or connecting rooms, and sometimes due to availabilty we are unable to provide it.

We do hope you decide to stay with us again (not just for your anniversary). Please be sure to contact our reservations manager and reserve with us directly if you have specific requests and we'll do our best to let you know if we can try to confirm so you know before you complete your reservation that you will get what you want.

Congratulations on your recent nuptuals and sure glad that you did enjoy your stay at the Beachcomber. Thank you.
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights. We loved our time here. The location is great. We had breakfast and Lunch at the hotel which is very convenient when you want to stay at the beach and pool and not have to worry about where to eat. The food was very good too. Our room was very clean, we had a side view ocean room and you can see the ocean perfectly. The pool areas were kept very clean and neat. We wanted a relaxing few days and that is just what we got.

Room Tip: At least 3 floors up
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
954-941-7830, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort and Villas, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
All we can say is thank you for being our guest and submitting the positive review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and the facilities of the Beachcomber. Hope you come back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A Noble House Resort
Pelican Grand Beach Resort, A No...
#11 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,528 reviews
Oceans Beach Resort & Suites
Oceans Beach Resort & Suites
#24 of 36 in Pompano Beach
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,300 reviews

Been to Beachcomber Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!