“Great vacation get away!”

Wyndham Sea Gardens
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Overall a great experience. We had a two bedroom two bath condo in west villa. Everything was nice, with the exception of check in. Our room was not ready at 4 o'clock check in time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Teacherfriend
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Sea Gardens

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed at the Wyndham Sea Gardens for a week. The location was great for going to the beach and that was it. It was not walking distance from any other local attraction. The pool was nice and had a tropical theme. It was a bummer that the bar on the grounds closed at eight. The kitchen needed some more updates. The door to the outer hall had some huge gaps and you could hear everything that was going on in the hallway.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MoniUtah
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We're Wyndham timeshare owners. This has to be the worst place we've ever stayed at through Wyndham or RCI all put together. There were pros and cons, but the cons mostly outweighed anything else.

Let's start from the beginning. We were strapped for time and had limited options when booking for our July 4th 2012 trip. All the good stuff in FL was pretty much booked. In fact we were simply going to Florida to visit my wife's family in Ft. Lauderdale, but because my inlaws had a packed house we wanted to stay somewhere within the Wyndham network, since we rarely get to do so, often times booking through RCI instead.

Nearly every Wyndham property we stayed at beat RCI properties nearly every time. However the Sea Gardens was very different.

Our flight arrived late. Atlanta's airport apparently had a lot of issues which caused our flight to be late. Our 10:45PM arrival turned into 12:30am arrival instead. After dealing with Hertz (another drama) we arrived to check-in at roughly 2am.

First off, I'm African-American 31 years old, information technology professional with the federal government, my wife the same (less the Information Technology profession), we have a 5 year old, and a 5 month old. Ghetto areas are nothing new or surprising to me, but I assumed Pompano Beach, FL was an old folks area, or good for families, and it turns out it is. However driving to our "resort" if you can call it that, looked almost as run down as our "resort". The area looked like a ghost town, not single place appeared to be open (save for a Walgreens). Even the so-called 24-hours McDonalds was closed and trust, we were a bit hungry at that hour.

I have a Florida conceal carry permit, so running into 7-11 I was prepared for a violent encounter. Don't get me wrong, there weren't any shady figures hanging on the streets, young kids or hoodlums hanging out, I think it was just the fact that it looked like a ghost town had me a bit on edge (I probably watch too much First 48, and Forensic files). Anyhow, I digress.

We arrived to the "resort" and at check-in I thought "wow this check-in area looks like a dump". It felt like arriving at a Motel 6 to be honest. Old, out-dated. Well everything except the music in the lobby. Don't get me wrong, I love hip-hop, R&B, dancehall, etc. But I guess I was caught off guard to hear hip-hop (and the song was a bit inappropriate for the environment), but hell I liked the song, and it was late right? No biggie for me (now other demographics may have had more of a problem with it). All we could book through our timeshare was a studio with a mini kitchen. I figured this would suffice for us. I swear I remember reading "sleeps 4" so I assumed a pull out sofa? Most studios actually have a closed off bedroom these days. At the counter I asked "did any larger rooms become available" After a quick check he stated "nope, we're all booked up". Figures, it is a 4th of July week right?

After filling out the paperwork and noting the number of people in our room he stated it would be a tight squeeze. I thought yes, I know, but what choice do I have, it has a pull out sofa at least right? No, he told me. He then said "let me see if we can upgrade you to something else".

Wow, did this guy just say "we're all booked up". So is the game when dealing with timeshares ey? He says I can upgrade you for $100 for a one-bedroom instead of a studio. I thought fine it's late I'm tired, I really don't want to have to sleep with my 5 year old in the bed too. We'll take it.

30 minutes later (yes the check-in took 30mins + and we were the only ones checking in). He goes to swipe my card. "Oops, this computer isn't working, let me switcch". Oh boy. So long story short we get checked in.

He gives me bad directions to our "villa". I say they were bad, my wife says "you couldn't follow this simple map?" Who's side is she on anyway? We get to the parking lot, again I'm being very aware of my surroundings and the location of my pistola!

I know, long review right? I'm gettin' there hold your horses. There's a water faucet outside of our villa. The kind where you hook a hose to. It's leaking so the floor is wet by our door and muddyish. Whatever. We get in our room, Old, out-dated, clean yet busted. The carpet is green if that gives you any indication of the out-datedness. But honestly, it wasn't half bad looking. It definitely is deceiving from the outside (but that's not saying much). The bathroom looked like sh**. The door of the bathroom (the bottom of it) was clearly damaged, peeled, rotted, so they painted over it with a white paintbrush. Ahh nothing a little paint can't fix right?

While clean, the place generally lacked any sort of resort appeal. I woke up every morning with a stuff nose and call me bubble boy because I have terrible allergies to anything related to earth, pollen of all kinds, grass, trees, ragweed, mold etc. There was clearly mold in that room, that's the only thing that could have had me stuff up daily.

The dryer had a piece falling off (in the dryer no less). The filter is changed inside the dryer, the piece that holds the filter in place fell off repeatedly. The door has a chain lock, that was ripped off and hanging. Though there were two other locks.

I sound critical but I'm pretty low-maintenance, I was just surprised at the level of dump this place was compared to other properties. To their defense, apparently some rooms are renovated and other's aren't. I was advised at check-in my room was an older non-renovated unit. Really? I would have had no idea.

Parking was hit or miss. Most days we got parking right in front of our villa 1-2 times we parked in another lot owned by same resort, you could cut through the pool area of that property to get to our lot. No biggie. The distance was much shorter than parking at a mall in the back. So no complaints there.

Security was very visible, constantly patrolling in golf carts, though a bit annoying in the few instances I had with them. Once they saw me walking through the properties at 3am, and immediately stopped and started walking around as if to check the grounds when in reality they were watching me. But hey, no biggie, I want to feel secure too. Between my firearm and his flashlight we're unstoppable.

Which brings me to my next point, once you're in your villa your rear faces a courtyard. Actually a very nice courtyard, the grounds a pretty nice. For the most part but there is a lot of ghettoness so it. They have a strange water fountain with green rocks, and a horrible masonry job. Looks like a 5 year old put it together and I'm not pulling your chain. Numerous very small pools which always seem to be full of people. Several hot tubs outside, but every time I see folks in the hot tub their drunk, and nasty looking. Including myself one night (less the nasty looking part). Here's where my second run-in with security stunk. The pools and spas close at 10pm. I'm in the hot tub with my drink at about midnight. Pushing the boundaries a little. Thinking I could probably stay in a good hour before I get booted out. Sure enough 45 mins later, security comes, I have to leave it closes at 10pm. This sucks! Why does the pool and spa close at 10PM? We adults want to relax when the kids are asleep. In my case when the wife and kids are asleep.

Ugh, anyway all in all it was a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Maybe a 4. Since a 5 would mean average. They were below average. If I had no choice I'd stay here again, but trust me, this would be last on my list.

I hear the larger resort is nicer, but I can only speak for the 1 br villa we stayed in. Your mileage may vary. Maybe the renovated areas are better. Mine had 19 inch old school TVs and green carpet. But who goes on vacation to watch TV right? My kitchen actually looked nice though, almost looked like they renovated the kitchen. I will say the property was always quiet. Never awoken by noise, never heard anything, always peacefully quiet. That's huge.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you like nice accommodations.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank derrickonline
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our reservation consisted of 2 units nice to have the space but the rooms were quite outdated. and definitely showed some wear and tear. The pools and staff were nice. The view from the balcony great. The beach was pleasant...I didn't mind the walk over at all. So, if you don't plan to spend much time inside your room this place would be a good option. We did sleep well, it appeared to be mostly family's and older couples.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank morethanjustok
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were visiting on a time share to see if we would like to join Wyndam. No Thanks! They put us up in the farthest location from the beach front. Our room was across from the door of the maids headquarters who woke us early every morning. The halls were dirty, the elevators disgusting. Our doors would not lock, we told the front desk but they were never fixed and we did not feel safe. We removed our belongings every day for safety and slept with an eye open. We have traveled the US and can stay in cleaner facilities, not as expensive, and not tied to a time share. There was nothing to impress us so we won't be joining. We also tried a Wyndam resort while in Orlando on the same trip also a filthy location. Don't be suckered in to a time share. There are more desirable places to stay with all the clean amenities. Glad to be back home in KS.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank D T
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Yes they are remolding, but that is still no excuse for the uncleanliness of the remodeled rooms or even for the ones that have not been remodeled. Best thing I can say is bring your cleaning supplies and roach spray it will be needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room on the ocean side.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 369,411
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Pros
The two bedroom condo timeshare was very nice. We were on the 10th floor at the side of the tower. Partial ocean view.

Cons
Really unfriendly servers at the tiki bar...shame on you
Beach access it is not on the beach
Room could stand detailed cleaning...fridge door handle, basebords, little things
Halls, windows and floors elevators were never cleaned while we were there. Fingerprints and spills everywhere
Dirty beach..a fish hook in my foot while walking the beach first day
NO WHERE to eat within walking distance
You absolutely need a car
The dishes were not clean...lipstick on the coffee cups. Wash dishes yourself before use. I always do anyway
Did i mention the staff at the tiki bar?
Super disappointed and would never return. In fact, we left and drove to the Gulf side even though we had the unit for the week

Room Tip: Higher the floor, better the view. I wouldnt recommend anyone to stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends