“Caught it during renovations” 3 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Sea Gardens
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Caught it during renovations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

It would have been nice to be in the beach side properties but they were under renovations. The whole property needs a face lift, stay in the ocean palms building for a better experience. The ocean palms building has covered parking, more of a highrise feel and better units. The cabana properties are renovated with new furniture and flat screens but still stay in the ocean palms. Ask for Shek if there is no bellman( giving the bellman off on saturday of labor day weekend is pretty silly), evelyn was also very helpful and hospitable.

Room Tip: Ocean Palms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank TangyEvents

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in a 2 Bedroom/2 Bath unit in the newer Ocean Palms Building at the Wyndham Sea Gardens Resort. The accommodations were very nice and up-to-date. The only negative was a shortage of lamps and the use of low wattage bulbs. That made the unit nice and bright during the day, but quite dark at night. Parking was inside at one end of the building, and there were always enough spaces. Pompano Beach is a really nice place to stay, with numerous restaurants nearby. Vacationing without a car, however, would be difficult.

The big problem during the winter (we stayed there the middle of December) is that the sun has a very difficult time reaching the swimming pools. There is a beautiful pool adjacent to the Ocean Palms Building. The problem is that the sun is low in the sky in the winter, and the building is quite tall. With the pool located to the west of the building, the sun was gone from the pool area by around noon or 1 PM. Anyone who stayed at the pool after that time had to move their chairs into a nearby parking lot to find any sun. It doesn't feel much like a vacation when you have to get your sun in a parking lot. I would expect that the problem with the sun is not as significant in the summer, when the sun is higher in the sky.

The rest of the resort is set up a little like a motel, with most buildings two stories. The innner courtyard is beautifully landscaped and has a nice bar and grill area. Across the street, directly on the beach, is a separate building with smaller, older units that have been recently updated. The pool at that location is unheated, which makes it quite cold in December.

In conclusion, this resort deserves a solid 4 for the facilities and a 2 for the swimming pools. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time at the pools, this would be a great place for couples, families and friends.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the newer Ocean Palms Building.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank wisnuke
Greenville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

I had to change rooms 3 times because of ants and air conditioning not working. Everytime I inhaled, I thought I was breathing in old stale, dustmite air. I was told by the general manager, because of the ants that there must be a "food source". I guess so, since they were in the bed, desk, bathroom and kitchen. I asked the hotel to spray while I was gone for a day and I got a can of raid. However, the front desk staff were very helpful and courteous but I still ended up with bed bug bites which resulted in skin rashes and hives. I thought I had an allergic reaction to something else but ended up going to my doctor when I returned home because of bumps on my face, arms, and legs that also itched. I thought the rooms were dirty and I could never see because of low lighting. Even though the beach was just across the street, This has to be the worst trip I have been on in which it took a year to save up. I was interested in signing up for a timeshare but not now.

Room Tip: Pictures can be deceiving! Make sure you don't get the rooms during renovations.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dr M

Travelers are raving about these Pompano Beach hotels

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We were lucky and stayed in a front end studio unit.... with the greatest view of the ocean! It's true the decor is tired and can use a deep cleaning. Everything was livable and there is even a washer and dryer.The beach is beautiful. We really didn't use any of the resorts pools or tiki bar across the street but we did walk through it. I am glad our room was across the street and beachfront.... nice and quiet. Go have fun and don't sweat the small stuff LOCATION LOCATION great beach! oh, there is no balcony to sit , standing room only if that.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank olive21
Buford, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This resort is divided up into 4 different sections. There are studios in a building right on the beach. The rest of the resort is across the ocean drive. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. There are 3 pools in the resort, 1 by each main area, and there is a little sundries store. Our 2 bedroom/ 2 bath unit was in the farthest building from the ocean, the Ocean Palms building. Our unit was huge and in really great condition. We also liked that there was a parking garage under the condos. We didn't even have to leave the garage to get to our unit---a nice feature if the weather happened to be bad. Our unit was very clean and nicely decorated. It had a huge master suite with jacuzzi tub and shower. The 2nd bathroom was connected to the 2nd bedroom as well as the living area so it could work like another suite bedroom. There was even a full size washer and drier. They offered daily activities, but we were only there for 4 nights and didn't participate in any of the activities. Only negative was lack of wi fi in the rooms. We were able to get it by the lobby. They have a nice outside seating area with electric sockets so we were able to sit outside with our laptop plugged in and use the internet. Wasn't always fast, but did it's job for checking emails. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and won't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank slabeaume
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Firstly , Set your expectations: this is not the Ritz Carlton or any other 5 star resort...but it doesn't have to be. The Sea Gardens had everything to make my 1 week stay here very enjoyable for me and my family. (my wife, 8 year old, and 5 year old all loved it here)

Service was great. The people were very accommodating and i had the overall impression that this was a very tight-run ship. When we asked for a room-change from the cabanas to a room with a balcony, the staff moved us to the 'waterfalls' building without even a flinch. The timeshare sales-pitch was over and done in seconds, with an offer to take in a breakfast at another WYndham resort and go through the 1-2 hour demonstration. We politely said 'no' and never heard any more about this for the rest of the week. (there's no people walking around the resort trying to sign you up). Overall, the staff was out of your face and I like that.

The landscaping was very nice, with tropical trees and plants everywhere. several palm trees. You definitely had a tropical feeling to the place
Crossing the A1A to get to the beach was no big deal: walk to the beach sand in 3-4 minutes from our unit. The beach was fantastic..water was warm and clean. No lifeguards at the pools or the beaches. There are boat rentals set up on the beach for wave-runners, kayaks, standing paddle boats and they offer a discount for Wyndham guests.

The TIKI bar was cool, located near the main pool with music playing all day until 8pm. Yes, the bar closes at 8pm which is disappointing, but I totally understand that they don't want guests getting all liquored up into the late hours and disturbing others guests.

The room was fine and well-equipped with cleaning supplies, two TVS and a stereo. Almost all rooms have been renovated and I was pretty happy at the size . It seems the further you get from the beach, the bigger the room. The studios near the beach were going through extensive renovations, but I heard that they are quite small. the rest of the resort consists of multi-bedroom units with very good space.

WIFI is available ! other reviews have said no internet,, but WIFI is free from AT&T hotspot. and I'm guessing this is a new feature.
I stayed at the 'WATERFALLS' building. which is a 4 story building with elevator. there is the ocean palms building which is at least 10 stories and I heard is beautiful. I preferred the smaller waterfalls building with nice balconies overlooking the gardens. My wife and I stayed on the balcony for hours after our 8 year old and 5 year old went to bed. it was beautiful.

I'm a very easy-going person..there are FAR more positives about this place than negative, so my complaints were minimal. 1: the lighting. Across the entire resort they opted to use BLINDING BRIGHT WHITE Compact Florescent bulbs in the rooms and in the gardens. Props to the energy conservation, but wish they used something a little warmer in color and less powerful.

2: I observed there were some people using the facilities that didn't belong to the resort. One entire group of people were sent packing by security guard, and some kid who fessed up that he LIVES in Pompano and his grandmother just brings him here to swim while she reads a book all day.

thats about it. If you're easy going and not picky about details, I recommend this place a s great FLorida destination.

Make sure you have a car, as amenities are not closeby. (restaurants, grocery stores, shopping - all driving distance).

Room Tip: 'Waterfalls' and
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mark89x
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I am appalled at the points I paid, and stayed in the HORRIFIC Waterfall Building. It was FILTHLY dirty! Old, cracked floors, stained carpet, moldy shower curtain, broken blind, bed bugs, hard bed, 1 inch dirt beneath my bed. This was a GROSS room. Never felt relaxed!
Drove down a dark alley to park near our room.
Staff OK, tried to move us, but had no other room

AVOID AT ALL COST