“Inept service=blah breakfast”

Ranked #2 of 376 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Bavaria Haus is a local hidden treasure full service German-American restaurant. Since 1958, this free standing restaurant resembles an old style house and cottage. Hugh oak tree canopy covers outside dinning patio. Self parking in our lot.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I decided to branch out from my usual go-to breakfast spots and try Cypress Nook. Overall, I wasn't particularly impressed, one way or the other.

PROS
-Tasty food, reasonably priced
-Clean setting

CONS
-Terrible service - I had to listen to the waitress shooting the breeze with the table right next to me for several minutes before she even offered me a menu or coffee.
-A lady whom I assumed was the owner walked through the dining room to see if everyone was satisfied. Nice gesture but really she only smiled and nodded (no "how is everything") then went right back to the kitchen.
-The second I put my fork down, another waitress ran over and abruptly snatched my plate, cutlery, etc. and scurried off without making eye contact or bothering to ask if I was finished.
-Restaurant is in an odd location with little natural light and uninspiring view.
-I suspect that locals/regulars are what keeps this place going. If you are a first time guest expecting warm attentive service you will be disappointed.

2  Thank RoxieFlo

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Service was excellent, decor not fancy and they could put a door on the kitchen to cut down on the noise. What I mean is that my dish was good. My wife's was not. The other couple we were with seen to enjoy theirs but not overly enthusiastic. I would go back. My wife not. BTW it is off season and it was not crowded. They are closing as of August 5th for vacation. Call before going.

1  Thank DONTFAST
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Must be good if it has a Zagat recommendation. And, it is! Had their liver and onions with red cabbage - cannot be beat for a purely German meal.
Small place but difficult to converse as it is generally noisy because voices carry over to the adjacent tables.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I had purchased a groupon for this place. From the outside you have to wonder.... but the food is super. We had the potato pancakes WOW!!! Also the jumbo pretzel with beer cheese sauce. MMMMM. Our entrees we both chose wiener schnitzels. One was veal one was chicken. We both had spatzel and garlic spinach. The best way to describe the meal "I wanted to hug the cook". Next time we come to Ft Lauderdale area The Cypress Nook is at the
TOP of our list.

1  Thank Stacey D
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a family owned restaurant that has been in business over 35 years. My husband and I go when we need a cup of their wonderful Hungarian goulash soup and some great German food. Their ham hock is so huge a couple could definatley split it on several meals. heir red cabbage is the best my husband has tasted in Florida and he has been to Germany on several occasions and this is the only restaurant that is authentic. Jaeger schnitzel with the mushroom sauce is so wonderful it melts in your mouth. They have also expanded their menu for others that might not be familiar with German food, but we have never ate a meal that was not the best. This is a hidden gem that no one should miss!!!!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant