“Very very nice!”

Ranked #3 of 364 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Bavaria Haus is a local hidden treasure full service German-American restaurant. Since 1958, this free standing restaurant resembles an old style house and cottage. Hugh oak tree canopy covers outside dinning patio. Self parking in our lot.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

What a great find. Authentic German food in Pompano Beach. Everything was delicious. Husband and wife team working the kitchen and the floor. Very attentive without being overly so.
Saturday night visit and every table was in use and standees outside waiting their turn.
They fit 40-50 diners into a small space so it's a bit noisy.
All the usual German favorites + German beers. I will definitely be going back!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Cypress Nook was a pleasant surprise. We signed up for a Groupon offer at home using Tripadvisor as well as the Nook's website as guides. We like German food and have had some of the best and armed with our Groupon ($12 for $24) we thought, let's give it a chance.
We arrived at about 5:30 and got a seat and then the people started to arrive, the place filled up quickly. The waitress made the suggestion of their fresh baked Bavarian pretzel and bier cheese dip, we went with the medium size. It came out hot and very tasty. My wife liked it just as well plain (which was very good), but I liked it with the cheese dip. Would definitely get it again. Probably would go great with a beer if I drank beer.
My wife ordered Sauerbraten (one of their Signature Dishes and her favorite, too) with noodles and fresh carrots. I got the Schweinebraten with sautéed spinach and German potato salad. The Sauerbraten was delicious, just the right amount of sweet/sour flavor; the noodles were soft and tasty, especially with some of the gravy; the carrots were also good with a flavor neither one of us could place, but they sure were good. My Schweinebraten (three+ nice size slices of pork) was fork tender and very flavorful; the German potato salad was like it should be, sour; the spinach was also good (if you like sautéed spinach, which I do).
Not being wine drinkers and my wife not feeling like a beer, we had coffee (her) and lemonade (me). Most of the people around us had beer or wine, we would have liked to have our mixed drink, but didn't really miss it. For dessert we shared a piece of apple strudel, which was excellent, tender apples, a few raisins and a flaky crust. A nice finish to the meal.
This all set us back a grand total of $29.09 after tax and before tip (including our Groupon deal), can't beat that with a stick! We will go back and gladly pay full price. My wife says she would probably get the same thing, I would try something else just to do it. I love schnitzel and wursts and would probably try either.
The Cypress Nook is a small place off the beaten path and you'd probably never just drive by it, but it is well worth your time to seek it out and give it a try. They do appear to take reservations (as we left, two tables had reserved signs on them) but I'd call to make sure.

1  Thank ontheHuron
Reviewed March 14, 2013

we came for breakfast and returned for dinner. What a great spot for tasty and casual dining. Mom runs the breakfast and they know how to poach eggs (benedict) which is my sign of a good breakfast spot.
We returned for dinner ,german fare served by son. Schnitzel was excellent with spatzle.The german chocolate cake was fantastic. And although we didn't try it, the big pretzel lookd like a fun appetizer.

1  Thank Torontofrequentflyer
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had been to Cypress Nook many times for breakfast and a few times for lunch. This was the first time for dinner. Our group of five was served water and drinks, our order was taken, and then we waited. We ordered an appetizer - potato pancakes. They were hot and crispy and served with a chive sour cream and applesauce. Very good. The two pancakes were $6.
We waited for our dinner. I asked if bread was served. The waiter seemed almost surprised that I asked for bread and said he would bring it. He did with our dinner - four slices for five people.
The person who ordered the Hungarian Goulasch over noodles was very pleased as were the diners who had the Chicken Zuricher Geschnetzeites (medallions) which was in a delicious wine sauce and the Schweinebraten (3 large slice of roast pork). Two people ordered the Sauerbraten. The red cabbage and parsley potatoes were delicious. The Sauerbraten was chuck, very tender. The sauce was very thick and heavy. It is supposed to be sweet and sour but I found it to be very sour.
The meal was good but I think I'll stick to breakfast at Cypress Nook.
(Restaurant is very small so make reservations for dinner.)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Got there early for dinner on a Sat. night and no wait at all. Waiters wonderful, food tasty, beer cold! Goulash excellent and homemade spatzel a must have even at $1.50 extra! Schnitzel (veal) tender and good with noodles. Will go back and try breakfast next week!!!