“I'd definitely return!”

Ranked #7 of 369 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The cracked conch was as good as my best memory of it in Turks and Caicos.It was tender with the right amount of coating ..and was crisp and golden. I've had better sauces than the one it 's served with but it was acceptable. The potato salad was not inspiring but the cole slaw was tasty as was the side salad that accompanies all entrees.Although I chose those sides but the kitchen should have done more in terms of presentation. When the fish, potato salad and coleslaw shared the same platter it did not excite the eye. Presentation was not a strong point except when it came to the gardern salad. The sesame ginger dressing was accomplished and perfect for the crisp, fresh garden salad.
I chose the Cobia (fish) which was marinated in citrus and grilled perfectly. It tasted as though it had just been delivered- fresh!
The party ended when the dessert arrived. If the rest of the desserts are anything like the $5.95 sliver of key lime pie I had, you'd do better to stop at Houston's.
Calypso's seems like a fish lover's retreat. I'd never trust another dessert. The crust was uninspiring and the filling tasted like it came directly from the recipe on the Eagle milk can. Tragic.They should partner with someone who excels at dessert or drop them altogether..
I would trust Calypso to do more for me and I intend to give them a chance. Overall I think the other reviews are fair. My meal for conch, an entree, a glass of wine and pie came to $56.00 which given the overall performance and location I believe is overpriced. . I believe that with careful planning one can pare the price down better than I did.
The service was enthusiastic, knowledgeable and staff looked as though they like each other and that bodes well for the management.

Reviewed January 18, 2010

Best little fish house in Pompano, an off the beaten path pigs ear with an islands attitude. We enjoyed scrumptious seafood prepared exquisitely, attentive service and reasonable rates. If you are into fresh seafood, authentic cuisine and good value, be sure not to miss it.

Reviewed October 15, 2009

I am a local who brings a group of "Ladies Who Lunch" out monthly - and the eleven who ate here a few days ago all agreed it was one of the best of the thirty or forty places we've experienced in thearea!

While it offers a wide variety of "island" cuisine items, there are so many choices for those who don''t care for 'jerk" dishes or roti and such . It is particularly impressive that they were offering four different "fish of thr day " choices - any of which could be prepared ina number of ways from simply grilled to Cajun , jerk etc.

Many of our group had " cutters" - the island name for sandwiches served in crusty round rolls. The "Calypso" cutter was a generous serving of shrimp , mushrooms and garlic butter , while others had a jerk pork version or a crabcake cutter with red pepper tartar sauce. All come with a wide choice of sides. I don't think anyone was disappointed in their meal and the waitress and manager on duty were so welcoming to us .

You'll find Calypso on South Cypress Road, south of Atlantic Blvd. in a small strip center called Garden Isles. It's well worth searching out!

1  Thank Lulutoo
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Perfectly cooked seafood is not found often enough, but it is available in abundance at the Calypso. In March2009 we enjoyed yellow tail snapper - it melted in our mouths. And the cracked conch? Simply the most tender fried conch I have ever had and I've eaten it for 30 years throughout the Islands. A big enough portion to share. Declicious sides - don't miss the plantains. Now, this place is a little off the beaten path for tourists - it's on the mainland side but actually only a 10 minute drive from just about anywhere in Pompano Beach. So, don't blow it and don't wait for another night. Go there and go again! You'll love it!

1  Thank Griller333
Reviewed January 17, 2009

This place is a gem. I had grilled Cobia, black beans and spicy cucumbers. My wife had the smoked dolphin and loved it. The service was sharp, every item that we had was tasty and crafted with care. It's a bit of a hole in the wall - but sometimes that's where you find the best food! It's closed on Saturdays and Sundays so plan accordingly.

1  Thank operamaing