“Good try, but needs tweaking”

Sunset Catch Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sunset Catch Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 362 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We went to dinner here during on a weeknight. The restaurant is in an old building that probably was built in the 50's. It's on the water, and the patio is very pretty, overlooking the water and hobby boats. But the inside is just old. The owners have tried to put in a beautiful bar, but it's still just an old building. They had a duo, piano and voice, playing that night that started at 7:00. Unfortunately we were seated inside, so the music, although very good, was a bit loud throughout dinner. Our server was average; no smile, no suggestions, no returning to the table for any reason unless beckoned. Our appetizers were good, oysters were very fresh, and so were the shrimp and ceviche. Main courses were a bit off. Don't think I've ever gone to an Italian restaurant where pasta was served in a curry sauce. I would have liked to have seen more seafood dishes since we were on the water, but there were only a few. One of the guests ordered lamb chops and they were impossible to cut as they were very undercooked, even though ordered medium rare. The action seemed to be on the patio, and next time, if we go, I would ask to sit out there. Music would be quieter, setting would be prettier, and maybe the food would be better.

There are newer reviews for Sunset Catch Restaurant

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I was looking forward to this culinary experience and to listening to the beautiful music. The latter expectation came fully up to expectations but the Restaurant itself? Too many things me and my fellow diners actively disliked to make us wish to renew the acquaintance. For a start, sunset hour is a bit difficult to swallow. Fantastic to have cocktails at virtually half price - great start! But choose the coconut shrimp for a knock-down $7 and you get 3 of them. So perhaps buy 2 of those and so you are served 6 - very good I will add. Alternatively pay $12 for a full 'appetizer' starter and there are 7. OK - only minor but an irritation and it made us query the marketing philosophy of the place. Also, if you want to sit at the most attractive bar and have a sunset cocktail, we were told by the I'm afraid sour, unsmiling reception 'hostess' that she wouldn't be able to keep our reserved table for us. Fortunately the hordes didn't arrive and when we'd had our sunset hour drink at the bar, which was a nice start to the experience, served by a delightful lady we were then able to 'retrieve' our table! Initially we had been met by a lovely blonde waitress so we were confident that we would enjoy this part of the experience. No way! I'm sorry to report that we felt that our male waiter would have liked to be somewhere else or wished us gone - whichever, he piled plates on our fairly small table for 4 without any style or aplomb and not a smile in sight. What a shame. Doubtless to his relief we left fairly early so were unable to enjoy the second half of the amazing musical entertainment. We all left feeling disappointed. I should add that one of our party had the lamb which he said was absolutely delicious, which is a plus point. However, there are so many other good restaurants in the area, we won't be running back.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was our first time here. We came on a Saturday night without a reservation. We got seated right away, although the outside seating with the sunset view was not available.
The décor is gorgeous, the bar area is unique. I believe this was another restaurant before, they spared no expense in the remodel.
Service was great. Leo was our waiter. He enthusiastically described each item on the menu, & answered any questions. I had the veal chop ( special ) I cant remember having a more tasty & tender cut of meat.
I would hIghly recommend for a special dining experience

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a wonderful evening! The homemade squid ink pasta with seafood was perfection. My sister and I shared it as an appetizer and the portion was just right. The fresh pasta was tender and cooked al dente. I also had the grilled branzino which was outstanding!! Simply prepared with fresh herbs and ultra fresh. A true Italian meal!!
The entertainment was great! We enjoyed the live music immensely!! It made for a very festive and upbeat experience. Will definitely go back!! Bravo Sunset Catch!!

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

The service and the food are always good. The price point is a littler higher than it should be but not too bad. I've never had a bad meal there and I doubt I ever will. The black ink pasta dish was superb along with the Bronzino. Their desserts are limited but tasty. Great view of the sunset (obviously). The service is friendly and great at offering recommendations.