“"B-Team" working on Sunday night ????”

Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx
Reserve with OpenTable
Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 357 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Ft. Laud, Florida
“"B-Team" working on Sunday night ????”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I'm shocked that I'm rating Cafe Maxx "average".

I've been dining here since they opened decades ago. Each experience has always been A+++ in every way.

This Sunday evening was definitely an "off" night. It was painful. I had to wonder if there was an experienced dining room manager present or if they staff the restaurant on Sunday evenings with the "second string" players. (Although we've eaten here many times on Sunday evenings without any problem.)

The service was far from the usual outstanding level. Serving staff...both waiter and asst waiter...seemed distracted and totally indifferent....bordering on sloppy. It was like we were an interruption of something else more important. Several times during the meal, we felt like they had forgotten about us.

First there was the wait to take our orders. But then there was at least a 20 minute wait for our salads!! For salads???

I ordered the lamb chops which were superb. But the couscous with it was COLD. My husband ordered the osso buco. The meat was so tender you didn't need a knife. But there was NO seasoning in the meat or the sauce.

Desserts were the highlight of the meal. I loved the strawberry-rhubarb bread pudding.

And you get a basket of assorted delicious breads. I especially loved the little muffins.

The restaurant was only about 25% full at 6 pm on Sunday evening. So that can't be the reason for the poor experience.

I will charge this up as one bad night in 25 years. But the waiters we had need some re-education or motivation.

We will return to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I hope they are not getting sloppy or lowering their standards. Not when you're paying $$$$$$.

• Visited January 2013

boca raton
“still the best after all these years!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I use to frequent this restaurant years ago but hadn't gone back in over 10 years. I decided to go the other night and i was blown away! It was nice to see that Darryl remembered me, he sat down and spoke with us. The restaurant looked nicely updated, the staff very proffessional and friendly. Now for the culinary fireworks....I had my old favorite, caviar pie! Just as good as I remembered. My friend had stone crab claws with the most delicious key lime mustard sauce. Very impressed. Next I had the Greek salad, not your ordinary Greek salad. Delicious! While eating my salad I caught whiffs of my friend's mussels. The broth was like nothing I've ever tasted! Next we ordered the mahi and the scallops with polenta. What can i say...amazing and we were both very impressed. Just as I thought I couldn't eat anymore I spotted my faborite on the dessert board....CARROT CAKE! WAIT, TROPICAL CARROT CAKE! OMG! Threw my diet ovrr the edge but worth it! Carrot cake with lightly sweetened coconut cream cheese, macadamia nuts, sitting on thinly sliced pineapple rings, drizzled with the best caramel sauce you'll ever have! Definately recommend this treasure of a restaurant. Go with an appetite!

• Visited January 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Inventive, delicious and pricey but worth a special event!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

From the complimentary sushi pizza appetizer which the Maitre'd sent to our table because it was my birthday to the perfectly cooked entrecote, and a specatcular dessert which I can't remember now, the evening was specail in evry detail. Service was efficient and understated and although it was Saturday night, thand they were packed, we were under no pressure to turn the table over.

Highly recommned for great dining experience.

Tampa, Florida
“Always outstanding!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Cafe Maxx is the best restaurant in the Fort Lauderdale area. The menu offers an array of choices and the restaurant has a very good wine list. We like to sit near the kitchen, where the aromas assault one's senses. All entrees and appetizers are served in an artistic way. You will spend some money, but this place is worth it. Cafe Maxx gets a bit noisy when full of diners, which it often is.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Always excellent”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The only thing better than the dinner we had at Cafe Maxx is the dessert. The pastry chef is always coming up with something new and delishious. My favorite constant there is the creme Brule' that is served in a crunchy shell with fresh fruit underneath the soooo creamy and custard filling.
P.S. The construction is almost finished on the plaza, but don't let that deter you from enjoying a fabulous meal here!