“Must Have Been A Bad Night”

Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx
Reserve with OpenTable
Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 356 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
florida
“Must Have Been A Bad Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have been to this restaurant in the past and it was always good.
Tonight however, it was a disaster. The waiter who had been called in in an emergency since some staff did not show up for work was hassled and completely forgot about us.
The special menue was a good deal but the food wasn't as good as we remember.
Dinner took 3 hours. We heard several couples say the same thing on the way out.
Lets hope they get their act together because its really a good restauranr

• Visited November 2012

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

THe food is excellent. Our table was near the kitchen so there was alot of traffic.The service was overall very good. We got seated right away. I had the mahi mahi which was excellent. My brother had the snapper and our wives had the salmon salad which they said was very good. We brought our own bottle of wine for a corkage fee of $30 which is a little on the high side.

“Always great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We've been here a few times, both before and during the parking lot construction. It is consistently good. Just make sure you make reservations, they are always busy!! The construction is not an issue as they have valet.
The wine list is good, the last time we went I was able to get a fantastic Italian red by Elio Altera!!!!! No one knew what it was and they had a tough time locating it but it was well worth the wait. Fantastic wine, what a wonderful bouquet and deep flavor with layers upon layers of complexity.
The food was also amazing, pasta is authentic and flavorful. We always have a good time. The service is very good.
I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Make sure you don't get stuck in the back room!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Unless you want to feel like you've interupted someone's private dining room. The over-all service wasn't what I'd expected or remembered from past visits (over five years ago) and we even had to ask the hostess to get a bread basket. The servers had to ask who got what on all four courses of the "Dine Out Lauderdale" menu. HOWEVER...the food was fantastic! In addition to what was on the "special" menu, each course also offered a special of the night. The flavors for each course I had were distinct and well paired. I had the Shrimp app (cooked perfectly with a banana puree and salsa bits) then the special salad offer...Tom/Mozz drizzled with a sweet balsamic dressing, then I had the Filet (MR) cooked spot on and paired with a au gratin potato cake...delish. The Keylime pie was perfectly tart yet sweet. The other three diners all loved their dishes including the Escargot, Swordfish and their desserts. The place was hopping on a Friday night and had we been seated in the main dinning room I probably would have given this review a 5. The rest of the table liked where we were seated, I just tend to like being in the heart of action at any restaurant. I will go back sooner than I did after the last time, it's just that good!

Pompano Beach, Florida
“Just Plain Rude.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had made plans far in advance for this special occasion; my birthday. Out of all the restaurants in the Ft Lauderdale area, I chose this one. We have spend a LOT of money over the past few years but apparently what counts with him is what you spend "tonight". He was rude insulting and I will never spend another dime there. The food is great if you can choke down the attitude. No thanks!

2 Thank Warren K