“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx
Reserve with OpenTable
Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 369 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I made reservations at Cafe Maxx for dinner on Friday evening with a little trepidation after reading reviews here on TA. Our children had given us a gift certificate for our anniversary so we had planned to use it. I called the restaurant directly and requested a booth, if available. Then I checked out the menu online and thought ,"oh, boy , this is quite pricey and our GC is not going to go very far".

We arrived on time and the host was very pleasant and sat us in a booth near the bar. He even apologized for the noisy group in the bar and said they would be seated soon but that didn't bother us at all.

Our waitress came by and took our drink order and then a little later our appetizer order and let us enjoy both without rushing us in the least before she took our entree order. It was very relax
ing and just the way I like to enjoy my meal.

We ended up having 3 glasses of wine, a vodka cocktail (with a very good pour my husband said) , the crab flatbread, one of the half portion pastas and an entree and the bill totalled $98.

We were very happy with our meal and our experience and plan to visit Cafe Maxx again in the near future.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have been going to Cafe Maxx for years and this past night was one of the worst nights of all. We went for the summer special $35. This is not the first time we have been for one of these but it may be the last. The sides for the steak was so salty it was impossible to eat and I can eat anything. I think the one thing that really topped everything off was that the server never even came over once to see how our food was that really set me off. The only one that came by was the bus boy who said it was very busy that's why the food was bad....if there were 7 table I'm exaggerating. Maybe its the $35 Summer Special or maybe its just the night of the week but if you have to plan for that its the last time I would go here and I loved this restaurant.

1  Thank John M
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Enjoyed a 6 course tasting and had me totally hooked. The yellowfin tuna pizza was the best thing I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The duck and smoked mozzarella ravioli could have only been better if they gave me more... a whole lot more. Wines amazing. Eagerly awaiting my next pompano visit to try the summer prix-fix menu.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We eat at Cafe Maxx on a regular basis....the menu is always changing and the food is always amazing. I've tried just about everything on the menu and only had one thing in over 50 visits that I would rank as anything below outstanding. Their lamb chops are always amazing, and I personally love the tuna shashimi pizza appetizer. The service is just as good as the food! It's not inexpensive...in fact quite the opposite, but a great example of 'you get what you pay for!'

1  Thank skiwestus
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Called to reserve a table for my Dad's 75 birthday. The restaurant is run-down from the outside. Inside looks like an outdated family restaurant (nothing fancy). Waiter stated the menu changes daily, although I have been reading the same one for the past week. Service was good until a larger group (more $$ to spend) came in, then I had to call the waiter to come over. Ordered the "popular" appetizers: caviar slice (plain cream cheese with imitation $2 caviar) - could have added some flavor to the cream cheese and the tuna pizza. Tuna pizza was just "OK", lacking any sort of flavor. My dad ordered the "popular" snapper - disappointed by the flavors. The restaurant is an overpriced 25% American bistro lacking flavors without any pizazz. We skipped the "surprise birthday" cake, did not want to take a chance on just ordinary. The positive is that portions are bigger than expected.