“Best in Broward”

Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx
Reserve with OpenTable
Darrel & Oliver's Cafe Maxx is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 357 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Best in Broward”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Cafe Maxx, despite its location in a small strip mall across from the now closed family dollar store, is perhaps the best restaurant in Broward Co. The food is consistently excellent. The presentation is great. The drinks are good, the wine list lengthy. The selection is always fresh, although the same stellar meals re-appear on their menu. I have been maybe 10 times. You get what you pay for, and you get excellent food. Service has been consistently good also. Love going there for a special occasion, or just when in the mood to spend a lot for some amazing food.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank JDK12345

Fort Lauderdale
“Chef Oliver knocks this one out of the park, possibly the best in South Florida”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

From the properly chilled cocktails to the stunning apple tart dessert, there is only culinary excellence at this restaurant. Salads were chilled perfectly without the overpowering Caesar dressing on mine.. Haven't seen fresh endive like this on the mixed greens salad either.
The entrees of roasted scallops and shrimp; and the tuna wrapped in rice paper, ( I asked for mine seared with it being cold in the middle) were prepared perfectly and presented the way an Iron Chef does. All components of the dish had flavors that were paired perfectly, and just the right combination. The tuna is a difficult dish that was executed perfectly,, with the greens portion offering the perfect balance to the tuna.
The shrimp tasted like mini-lobster tails,a nd the scallops had a nice carmelized cover on each side, with the scallop just melting in your mouth, not chewy, and not undercooked.
Service was gret with knowledgable server, and water glasses were constantly filled...
The maitre D could have been a little bit more engaged with all of the customers, rather than his favorite few...
Definitely one of the best in Broward AND Miami Dade!!!

• Visited July 2011
fort lauderdale
“Not PerSe Etc. But Very Very Hard to Beat In South Florida”
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We keep going back to Cafe Maxx. It is not cheap in the context of South Florida, but it is an incredible bargain compared to comparable restaurants in most major cities you can name - New York, Chicago, San Fran, LA. Tuna pizza (always), salmon (they bring in the whole non farmed fish and carve it up on site), the pork chops (wonderfully moist not dried out - often the case). They just get everything right in terrms of the food. Can get crowded, service isn't always absolutely perfect, but in the final analysis it comes down to the food. First rate - in our experience always. Add to this a really interesting wine list driven by someone who really knows wine - at normal restaurant prices or better, and it adds up to a special restaurant, especially for South Florida.

Visited April 2011
Detroit, Michigan
“Amazing! Do not understand why this is not #1...”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We went to Cafe Maxx for a Birthday dinner and the food, service, atmosphere...were all amazing. Love that it is tucked away from everything. The Ahi Tuna Pizza appetizer is unbelievable. You can not skip dessert...

• Visited November 2010
Boca Raton, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I can't believe this place is a landmark (not in a good way)”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My boyfriend and I went here for our joint birthday dinner. We had a reservation, was seated eagerly by the host then waited SEVENTEEN MINUTES for our waitress to come around not even introduce herself and then rudely ask us "do you need more time or do you know what you want". We ended up ordering a bottle of wine from another waiter or busser way before our waitress even came near our table. It wasn't even busy. It was well passed dinner rush and there were just a few stragglers. Maybe about 10 other people total.

When we ordered our appetizer (calamari), it came out immediately but was mediocre. The asian sauce on it was mayo with some other type of spices, and there was an abundance of it. It killed the dish. Definitely too much mayo sauce. It was also too sweet.

Two minutes after our appetizer came to our table, our waitress, who didn't even ask if everything was okay, said rudely again, "are you ready to order?" we said no, as we were taking our time with our appetizer and bread bowl (after working all day, I don't want to be rushed when I eat, I want to take my time and relax) she said, "well the kitchen is closing in 15 minutes, so you need to order". I was so upset at this, I wanted to leave but my boyfriend convinced me to stay because he heard the food was over the top amazing. So I stayed against my will and when my overpriced peppercorn filet mignon came out, it was cooked to perfection but the pepper was over abundant and killed the flavor. I ended up scraping most of it off. The Potatoes au gratin ala south west style was horrible and I ended up being hungry shortly after I had eaten the entire filet and my boyfriend's vegetables from his meal.

As we are winding down, finishing our $50 bottle of wine, they turn the music OFF on us and start cleaning up. The staff (including our waitress) were talking so loudly about their personal lives and their tips they made for the evening and talking badly about their customers. At this point, I'm furious. Our meal was well over $200 and they have the audacity to turn the music off and to be loud while there are still diners? How rude! I cannot believe this place is a landmark establishment and for the price and "ambiance" it definitely wasn't worth it. My boyfriend ended up asking some other waiter to turn the music back on as we finished our bottle and I forced him to leave because if I stayed a minute longer I would have caused a scene. Our waitress came by to drop off our check with a so fake so sweet tone and unlike the rest of the night, kept us in close proximity as we filled out her tip.

The ambiance is another thing, cheap tables, cheap decorations and cheap looking table covers. If your looking for ambiance, this is definitely not the place. The only thing that is "ambient" of this restaurant is low lighting.

The best part about this restaurant was the extensive wine list.

Cafe Maxx is such a joke. Don't waste your money unless you're just there to drink wine.

1 Thank xtina33496