“Nice property but poorly designed”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Overall nice property and friendly staff. Downside for me was the paper thin walls! I could hear the guy snoring next door! Kid you not! I had to drown it out with the TV.
The room itself is new, clean & there was a partial ocean view.
I would recommend bringing ear plugs. I stayed in the South Tower.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 15, 2014

My fiance and I decided to leave the hustle and bustle of Boston behind us and travel to pompano Beach. My fiance and I are avid travelers and stumblede upon this resort threw a deal with jet blue. Upon are arrival at fort lauderdale\hollywood international we were greeted by a third party driver to bring us back to the hotel. The ride itself was so so, it was a 12 passenger van nothing too luxurious. We paid the driver roughly $60 witch seems to be the gowing rate for transportation.

Once we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with very kind, energetic valet staff that seemed like they would do just about anything for us. Once we got the keys to are room we were so excited sense we were going to have a great ocean view! Boy was that a let down, my fiance and I were under the impression that we were going to be directly facing the water. Instead we have a corner room about six rooms back from the ocean. We confronted management about it and they told us that the ocean facing rooms were presidential and executive suites only!

Whatever, at least we can see the beautiful ocean. We went off site for dinner and quickly discovered cab rides are the only way to get around. There is public transportation but it isn't near by and doesn't come frequently. Walking is out if the question as everything is too far, even a convenience store. Cabs are about $20 one way for something 4-5 miles away, which everything is. The cabs are efficient but it can get expensive if you're traveling off site a lot. I would highly suggest renting a car witch I'm sure the hotel staff would be more than happy to help you with.

On Tuesday we went to the private beach that is offered at the resort itself. The beach was very clean and again your greeted again by a highly energetic staff that again would be more than happy to do anything for you. The staff member at the beach offered us chairs, Cabana's,and umbrellas all of witch come at a hefty price. The cabanas are something like $130 for the day. No way Jose I'm all set! If you're planning to enjoy the beach, bring your own stuff. It'll be worth it.

That night we hung out and decided to go to the hotel bar. The drinks are mediocre and the beer selection is something you would find at a dive bar. The staff was alright except Kelly, my fiancee didn't like her one bit. I just drink beer so they can't really mess that up. There seems to be two different bar tenders for the inside bar and the outside bar. The inside bartenders were all fantastic and can apparntley mix great drinks!

We did go to McCoys ( there on site resturant) a Couple of times for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was okay, not that wide of a selection but I'm not going to complain about it. However the dinner was very over priced. We had two glasses of wine I had a Stella an appetizer and dinner and dessert. Mind you there was just two of us the bill was $126. If you ask me the food is very overpriced and I probably can make the same cheese torrtlini at my house. However the wait staff at McCoys was always fantastic and eager to wait on us.

The expierence overall was great and I would come back to this resort. I wouldn't bring any little ones or pre teens who can't be left alone because there is literally nothing to do except eat and drink.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jlovennerg
Reviewed May 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights March 26-30th and were nothing but frustrated. The hotel was not clean as to the usual Marriott's standards. It was supposedly built less than a year ago but I would have guessed it was much older since the carpet in our room was heavily soiled. Parking is 50 bucks a night since it is valet parking only. This was a real hassle for us since my wife needed extra time to get in and out of her wheelchair when we used our car. There were many handicap parking spots, however we could not use them since the valet was parking cars in them.In addition the staff had cars parked illegally in the handicap access lanes leading to the road. This forced us to use the hotel driveway to get back and forth to the road creating a dangerous situation.Furthermore one of the elevators was broken during part of our stay. The hotel is definitely NOT HANDICAP FRIENDLY. Come to find out the tower that we stayed in was built around 1950 and completely refurbished. As a silver elite rewards member we have stayed over 30 nights at various Marriott Resorts. This one left us totally frustrated! The restaurant was the only good thing about the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dan b
Resort073113, Manager at Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with The Pompano Beach Marriott Resort and Spa. I apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced with your stay. We appreciate your feedback and your valuable time to share with us.
I will continue to review our valet parking procedures with our team to ensure all guests receive the accurate billing information. As you mentioned we do offer valet only parking at $25 per night. As a curtsey we do not charge guests with a handicap parking permit. I will also review with our team to ensure open access to the street to provide the safest route to enjoy an evening/day walk. I am sorry you experienced a time with our elevators not working appropriately. I know how frustrating this could be with your family needs.
Everything we do is aimed to provide a wonderful resort experience for all our guests. We value your business and would like to have you stay with our hotel again in the future. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me at any time.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I took a four day anniversary trip here last weekend, and it was great. We're used to visiting the west coast of Florida, so $200 gets us a little more bang for our buck as far as the rooms go, but the room was clean and nice enough. By far, the most redeeming quality of this resort was the friendly staff. Even people not working for tips (maintenance men, operators, etc) were outgoing and friendly. The Food and Beverage staff (and I have worked in resort F&B for over a dozen years)- were really impressive, most especially Chris at the pool. There wasn't a question that you could ask him that he wouldn't find an answer for, and there wasn't a single unanswered request, either. I saw both the AM and PM restaurant managers working hard- they were friendly and charming, and they took their work seriously- nice to see. The food was good, too, not exactly five star, but solid, good food. It was annoying that all the chairs at the pool were reserved (but unused) all day, but you can't blame the hotel for inconsiderate guests. Valet was quick to get your vehicle or call a cab, which you'll need because there's not very much within walking distance. All in all, good trip, great customer service.

Room Tip: Suites are the only rooms that are full ocean-fronts. Don't be fooled by 'ocean view'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hotel was clean, location was good right in between fort lauderdale (15min drive) and delray beach (30min) great scenery while driving so didn't mind that. You don't really need to leave the hotel, beach was nice and property has 2 pools & hot tub. We didn't order food from the hotel so can't comment on that but drinks at the pool bar were pricey just fyi..so just pack a beach cooler with your own. Parking is $25 per night I know people were complaining about this on previous reviews but if you research other hotels in the area they all charge about the same it's something you just have to accept. Overall hotel was fine i'd recommend it to friends & family.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This property is beautiful, however the restaurant management not so much

.My niece made reservations at McCoy's Restaurant in the Pompano Beach Marriott for Mother's Day lunch for my visiting sister, herself and me. This hotel is newer and has a beautiful ocean setting. They offered a special Mother's Day brunch. As none of us are big eaters, she confirmed with the restaurant personnel that we could also order from the main menu. We ask for an indoor table

We made 1:30 reservations, arrived on time, and found the dining room only half full. The brunch ran until 3:00. We were seated promptly at the back of the room, even though there were closer tables with better ocean views.

Our waitress was very kind and attentive. We ask for a menu. She said she could only offer the buffet. We explained that we were told a regular menu would be available when we made the reservations. She left to check with the manager, came back and said the the buffet was all that could be served in the dining room. The manager was standing over by the podium where we entered and never once offered any explanation. He acted very pompous, and could not be bothered. I could understand if the room was busy, but it was not. The waitress once again went over to plead our case. When she came back, this time, we were told we could order from the menu, if we ate outside by the pool.

I commented that we would accept poolside, but I would write a review telling of our treatment. She told us to wait, and when she came back, we were told that they would serve is in the dining room. At this point, my niece had checked out the pool area, said it was acceptable, and we had gotten up and started moving there.

We went on and enjoyed our lunch trying not to ruin our celebration. The waitress was very apologetic and gracious. However the manager was not

The food was very good and we also ordered three of their speciality cocktails. When served, I was told that the cocktail I ordered was not available. The waitress offered me a mimosa on her. I thanked her but told her, that would not be necessary. Our bill for three sandwiches with fries and two cocktails came to $95 with tip. I feel it is a little overpriced, especially with the rudeness of the restaurant manager.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed here with my wife and daughter after returning from a cruise. There is an older tower that was completely renovated and a new tower, we stayed in the old tower. The room was modern, clean and bright with a great view. The pool area was excellent, two pools with a outdoor bar/restaurant in the middle. The hotel sits right on the beach and there was access to the beach through the pool area. Staff was very friendly and service was great. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach
Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina Pompano Beach

Been to Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!