“Pretty property”

Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Pompano Beach
New York City, New York
“Pretty property”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Nice gym with pool/ocean view. Comfortable room and bed. They should include parking for free because there were zero local parking options, so why pretend you're not going to charge an extra $25/night? Convenient to Pompano Beach where we were visiting relatives. Did not get to use the spa but everything looked fresh and new so I would love to try it next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Polish first
fort lauderdale
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just spent the weekend at this wonderful property. It is a very excellent hotel with up to date furnishing. The property itself is well maintained and everyone is always willing to help. The only downside is that you pay $25 per day for parking which is a bit expensive but what do you expect from a beach hotel. I would highly recommend staying at this property if you are looking for a wonderful beach getaway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed 9 days in January so believe we got a good overview of the property. All in all, we very much enjoyed our time there but there were a couple of rough patches - which fortunately, the hotel readily fixed.

The hotel just recently became a Marriott property (6 months ago or so?). There are 2 towers, the north tower was already in existence but was fully refurbished. The south tower is new. In both towers, almost all the rooms face to the side so that "ocean view" means standing at the sliding door or being on your balcony. The north tower rooms are somewhat angled to the ocean which improves the view a bit. For the rooms facing toward the other tower, I would expect the view to be rather limited. We had a south tower room near the ocean end of the building, on an upper floor, so the view was quite nice.

The rooms are a good size - ours was a king with a small sofa. The rooms also have a mini-frig which is really handy. The bathrooms are large by typical hotel standards and we had a walk-in shower (no tub). We had the breakfast buffet each morning - a nice surprise was that the hotel (even though it's considered a "resort" property) gives Elite Gold and Platinum members the breakfast buffet. While it's not as large a selection as we have seen in other Marriott buffets, the fruit selection was excellent and you could order omelets, waffles, pancakes, etc. from the kitchen. One nice touch was that by the third morning, the staff was greeting us by name and getting our particular coffee/tea for us without prompting. One of the "rough patches" was that our egg white omelet order came back as a regular omelet. However, the wait staff willingly and quickly corrected the order.

It seemed the staff is trained to smile and greet every customer, every time and were very willing to take any request. Any request for extra soap, coffee, etc. in the room was quickly met. The front desk staff seemed to always know who we were when we approached. The pool area was a bit small but there are lots of chairs and umbrellas. Also, beach towels were plentiful. The beach is very nice; all services at the beach are handled by a concession so there is a charge for chairs and umbrellas. The fitness center provides treadmills, elliptical machines, bikes, and free weights (but little in way of resistance machines).

The "cons" - the charge for parking (also a concession) seemed a bit high although the valet guys were pleasant and helpful (no self parking). Also, the immediate surrounding area is mostly condos and small hotels. A car is needed to get to other activities and restaurants. There is shopping, movie theatres, and restaurants no more than a couple of miles away.

We felt the hotel offered very, very good value - a very pleasant stay at a good price. It is not as luxurious or have all the amenities as many larger 5-star resorts but it is also not nearly as expensive. We are looking forward to our next stay there. All those smiling, helpful faces go a long way toward getting past any rough patches.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the beach and on higher floors will have a better view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BGMNJ
Long Island, NY
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We spent 6 nights here in Jan to visit family. Everyone and I mean everyone working there couldn't do enough to help in any way. I got really sick with a bad cold and the people from the front desk to the pool would ask how I was feeling everyday and couldn't do enough (bring Kleenex, etc) to help. The hotel is new and it shows, comfortable rooms, very clean, lots of towels, nice balcony, etc. Even the bathrooms in all public places were immaculate. Also had some meals there and was pretty good (the breakfast was exceptional). The pool was really nice (and I'm not a pool person) and they'd come around with samples of smoothies during the day. The beach was beautiful but you have to pay for chairs. I didn't think this was terrible because they do not charge a resort fee which many other hotels do.

If I did have a con, it would be the charge for valet parking. Also, best to have a car here because it really isn't walking distance to stores, etc. We knew this going in so it wasn't a big deal. When I come back to the Pompano Beach area I'd stay here again.

Atlanta
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel is awesome! From the moment you walk in you definitely feel like you're on vacation and on a resort. I was unfamiliar of the location but I know now I made an excellent decision. The beach is gorgeous and private. The amenities are a huge bonus (ie heated pool, jacuzzi, fire place, gigantic chess etc). The rooms are gorgeous our view from the balcony AND bed breathtaking. I would come here again and again. At checkin Tara assisted us and was very pleasant. She even wished me a happy birthday and I believe she arranged a special surprise for my room later that evening. One thing to note, not sure if it was due to the holiday weekend but the room charges are build the day of arrival and an incidental fee of $100 a day is charged upfront. If you pay cash it will be returned less parking or room charges if applicable. Credit card charges will be credited at a later date. Since I'm still here not sure of the ease of that process yet. As I mentioned, when we returned to my room later on that evening I had a beautiful cake awaiting with a card from the hotel. Definitely started the vacation with a smile. Everyone we came into contact up until today were wonderful and helpful. One desk clerk retrieved hot water for me one evening, the housekeepers were always pleasant and accommodating. The service at the pool WAS spectacular. James was great the first night. Lance the pool guy was such a sweetie. He went over and beyond with retrieving items and placing out orders. (Make sure you tip the folks in blue. Only the folks in orange get the tip). The only hiccup thus far which was today, my birthday was with Preston the actual waiter who actually did not wait on us but rather caused us issues. First he was so rude when trying to clarify our order. My husband ordered fish tacos which had a avocado purée and he dislikes avocados. I requested with Lance (who took our orders) that it be placed on the side. Instead of announcing his arrival and politely asking for clarification, Preston rudely walked up to me and said, what's avocado purée? (In a loud accusatory tone). I told him it's on the menu description and he turned around and said ok it's already on there and walked away. I was a little upset with his tone but I moved on. When the order came it of course was still on the taco, not what was requested. However we are easy going no biggie. They were delicious so my husband didn't mind. (My tempura grouper dog was fab too btw). The upsetting part came later when we settled our check. Our cousin came on the trip and she apparently wanted to pay her bill. She told him she would like to pay for her items ( which were ordered before we even joined her and at least 2 hrs before we ordered). He apparently swiped her card for our charges in addition to hers. Instead of apologizing (which he never did) he said oh well collect the money from your friends. She told him she would like a refund. He said no she had to wait an hour for a manager. She said I will wait. Another server overheard and showed him how to perform the transaction. As this took place another table commented on how rude he was to my cousin, who is visibly pregnant (6 months). I was unaware of what transpired at the time I was waiting for my check. I noticed Lance asked Preston at least 3 times for my check (he pointed) but after 20 min I did not receive it. So I walked up and requested it with Preston. I waited since he bypassed me and waited on someone else and after standing for 5 min he finally retrieved it. No issues I walked away. My cousin then called down to explain what happened to her because she wanted to make sure we were charged correctly. Upset with how she was treated, my husband walked over to ask his name (and returned a towel). Instead of just replying with his name Preston then followed behind my husband and caused a scene. "What's wrong?" "I charged her card right now" etc etc he said loudly. We were on the other side from the bar so this caused all attention to focus on them. My husband who decided not to entertain his crass decided to walk out the gate to the beach and ignore him. I explained that we were made aware if the situation with our cousin and I explained how rude he was to me. Rather than apologizing and walking away he started to raise his voice and say " I didn't know how to do it" (reference to the refund) and " that guy is just a pool boy he didn't know how to enter it" I politely explained his delivery on both occasions were perceived as rude. He said his heart was in the right place and he continued to speak loudly causing a scene. I was embarrassed since this had been a pleasant day so I decided to pack up and go to the beach. He tried to follow me. I don't know how he was trained but with a customer you should always apologize and never engage in a perceivable confrontation. It really dampened my perfect review of the hotel. Now I'm hoping I don't run into anymore staff like him. I plan to make the most of the remainder of the stay. It is truly a beautiful secluded property but beware of Preston. We have a rental car so we have freedom to move about but you are very restricted in your food options and entertainment if you don't have one. Parking is expensive per day so be prepared but the valet staff is nice. Some of the local must tries are Dandee donuts (24hrs) sooo awesome. Dinner food options and wonderful donuts. Their staff is great. Also the Fish Shack is to die for. Best seafood ever. If you go you must try the cracked conch. Today is our last night and so we are venturing to south beach after 2 other nights at hard rock casino. Hopefully the ending of the trip will be just as fabulous as it started and today's visit would be a isolated occurrence.

• Stayed January 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Recently spent 3 nights at the Marriott Pompano Beach Resort and Spa – what a great experience! From the staff to the amenities, the hotel’s attention to detail was fantastic. Our room was spotless and clean (nod to the place being less than a year old). The ability to go right onto the beach from the hotel was great (even though I avoided paying for a chair/umbrella – sat on a towel that was just fine). Our group appreciated Adina from housekeeping the most – she was always a friendly face and helped give us restaurant tips for the local area (a rising star I’d say)! If you’re staying in the Fort Lauderdale area make sure to use this hotel for a great experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lord_Baltimore_NY
Port Washington,NY
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were in Florida for a long weekend with my son home from college. The hotel is right on the beach.
The hotel was contemporary, lovely just opened up several months ago. All the rooms have balconys overlooking the beach. The most amazing part of our experience was the staff. Everyone we met was friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to ask if there was anything we needed.
The restaurant had very good food. The pools were heated with plenty of lounges.
We had great massages in the spa. It was a wonderful experience and would happily return.
Only about 20 minutes from the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pompano Beach
#3 of 37 in Pompano Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews
Central Beach
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Res...
#8 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,019 reviews

Been to Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!