“Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover”
Review of Fish Shack

Fish Shack
Ranked #1 of 369 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I read the online reviews on this place and it looked great, I called to make reservations and they said they did not take reservations. I asked how long of a wait and they said there was not currently a wait. This was on a Saturday evening around 7PM. We arrived about 15 minutes later and found it extremely difficult to find parking (there are only a few available spots). This place is located off any main street (kind of in a residential area). There is a convenience store and laundromat located in the same strip building and the building looks to have been built 50 years ago or more with no updates.

I have to say, we were very skeptical and a little reluctant to go in. We stood outside for awhile and almost drove away. Had this place not a 4.5 star rating with 238 reviews, I am sure we would have just drove away. Luckily, we decided to go in and see what it was all about. There are only 4 or 5 tables and maybe 10-12 chairs available at the bar. The inside is not fancy by any measure but very homey. We ordered fried clams, steamed clams and boiled shrimp with old bay seasoning. The clams were whole clams that were fresh and then fried (medium necks). Both the steamed clams and fried clams were sensational. The shrimp was sweet and tasted like it had been caught fresh that day; not the frozen stuff we get in Ohio. For dinner, I had the grilled combo (shrimp, scallops and Mahi Mahi). My wife had the clams and son had the blackened grouper. This was the best seafood meal I have ever eaten at a restaurant. It was fantastic!

If your goal is to get a great seafood dinner, I don't think you can go wrong and prices are very reasonable, especially compared to some other places in the area. However, the bathroom is in a little room right next to where food is being prepared and the backdoor to the kitchen was open (it was warm). I actually liked the fact that you got to see them preparing your food but I am sure an uptight person might not feel the same. If you are trying to impress someone with a fancy dinner or if you not a down to earth person, then I would suggest you go to a different place.

2  Thank Sean G

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great food, low overhead, clean as a whistle. This is a hidden gem, not much room so we had to wait a little bit on a Saturday. The food was worth every second.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We loved this little hole in the wall joint! The seafood is the freshest, best priced you'll find, simply prepared and delicious. Oysters on the half shell, lobster bisque, grilled swordfish and a yummy shrimp and scallop " burger"....all a hit! It really is a dive, but who cares when the food is this good and priced so well.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Had the trout special and fried oysters, delicious! The even serve wine and beer. Love the Unwined Chardonnay, the best!
Small hole in the wall and its not cheap but worth spleeging every couple of weeks.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We found this hidden strip mall with google maps, which actually listed it as an icon, so finding it was no problem. You would never just be driving by and find it, it's a block off the main drag hidden in a run-down strip mall. Read reviews on tripadvisor so we just had to check it out. It's about the size of most people's living rooms, seriously. Staff is friendly and super chatty with the regulars. Decor is silly fish stuff along with many photos of folks who I assume are staff and regular guests. We ordered a fried combo plate, wild caught red trout dinner (one of the specials), and a fried cod fish n' chips platter. Sides included a good and creamy cole slaw, crispy fries (which I liked, don't know why someone panned them before), and a simple yellow rice with the trout. The cod filets were thick and tempura batter fried, while the shrimp and clams had a pepper flavored breading. Tartar sauce was good, didn't see cocktail sauce offered. Everything tasted good. The trout was grilled to be flaky and moist, with a simple salt/pepper seasoning and some fresh lemon. We ordered some beer (Bud or Bud Lite only!) and some ice teas. Dinners cost between $10 and $14 each, which was a deal for the quality and portion size. We waited about 25 min. for our order to arrive (ate at 5pm on a weekday) because so many take out orders were being processed. (one customer hauled off 8 full dinner cartons in one order) We also did some take out Old Bay seasoned steamed shrimp a few nights later and it was cooked to perfection, although a little skimpy on the Old Bay. Next time I'd ask for extra Old Bay and I'm sure they comply. Overall worth the trip. Don't let the exterior discourage you, go for the food.

1  Thank Muralmakerinnewark