“Great food, nice people and cheap drinks!”
Review of Fish Shack

Fish Shack
Ranked #1 of 357 Restaurants in Pompano Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Great food, nice people and cheap drinks!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Conch app was delicious and my husband and I shared the seafood trio in garlic butter. All was really good and the scallops were to die for! By far some of the best I've ever had - delicious!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Julie D

The Villages, Florida
“Excellent Seafood in Unpretentious Setting”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I arrived in Pompano Beach yesterday afternoon and, based on previous reviews of Fish Shack, we decided that it would be our first dinner while here for a week. All we can say is -----"WOW!!" We arrived about 7:30 PM, finding the place was packed and there were no seats. We were immediately very warmly welcomed by Nicole, a superb bartend/er / waitress, who magically produced two barstools and we happily sat at the bar.

There is no bottled beer, the only choices are Bud and Bud Light on tap, but there is a sufficiently broad selection of generic wine. We were going to order the conch fritters as an appetizer, but Nicole told us that the cracked conch was far superior and she was absolutely right. A basket of delicious fried conch with sauce appeared soon after and it was fantastic. The fresh fish platter choices last night included yellowfin tuna, triple tail, red snapper, swordfish and red fish. These could be prepared blackened, fried, grilled or grilled with a garlic/butter sauce. We both had the grilled red fish with the garlic /butter sauce, which came with a choice of two sides, ours being huge onion rings and creamy coleslaw. The meal was excellent -- the fish flakey and perfectly done. Nicole offered us Key Lime pie for dessert, but we had no room left (memo for later!!)

The only reason we aren't returning this evening is that they are closed on Sundays.

Bottom line: If you're looking for the freshest seafood in town in a casual, friendly, unpretentious environment, you'll be THRILLED you found Fish Shack. Many of the patrons were locals who were very nice, including another couple at the bar who recommended one of their favorite restaurants to us that we will probably visit later this week. Be aware that they do close at 9 PM.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank MBG
Savannah, Georgia
“Everything I expected and more!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I couldn't wait to check the Fish Shack out while on our honeymoon. I'm so glad we did! Luckily we went mid afternoon so it was quiet and had a chance to talk to the owner and hear how the Shack came to life. What a great, truly down home seafood joint and an overall awesome experience. We will definitely be back here!

Coconut Creek, Florida
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

There's just something about a tiny, family-run restaurant that appears to me. When I walked in I was greeted immediately and made to feel like my order and satisfaction as a customer were truly important. I don't get that from many places these days. To top it all off the food is very good.

There are maybe 4 or tables and half-dozen seats at the bar, so a large group might feel cramped.

• Visited June 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Local Neighborhood Jewel”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is the place if you want fresh seafood. The owners get their fish daily from the local suppliers and you can taste the freshness. This is a small ( and I mean small) local eatery in an out of the way strip mall. Not a place you would take anyone to impress them with the ambiance - the food is the draw. They have 4-5 small tables (again I stress small) and a few bar stools. We went with 5 people around 7:00 PM, had a 20-30 minute wait on a Wednesday night. There were a few people ahead of us for a table so we took a glass of wine outside and talked with the other people waiting for their tables. It is a local hangout for the neighborhood so there are people stopping in for a beer or takeout as well as dining on site. Back to the food- we had steamed shrimp with Old Bay seasoning, clam chowder and raw oysters for appetizers. Dinner included grilled combo pltter (mix if fish and shellfish), grilled mahi dinner, Fried Ipswich Clams platter. All the dinners included 2 sides. They serve beer and wine. Coming from Boston, this was the best Clam Chowder I have had outside New England!! We all enjoyed the experience. Kudos to Nicole for her amazing ability to juggle the bar, takeout, and wait tables. Busy lady!!

• Visited November 2012