“THE number one Quiet, Serene, Special place to enjoy”
Review of Sea Horse Motel

Sea Horse Motel
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I watched the owners, Darren and Phillip purchase this property, renovate it, bring it to the top choice among the other area properties all to my own personal pleasure. I stayed with them when they opened and have returned every season. The rooms are clean, comfortable and enjoyable and the owners are responsible for making sure that my stay has always been above satisfaction. Just recently, a top rated, flagged and branded hotel chain opened down the block, but I will always prefer to stay here.

Every time I return, the Sea Horse has something new to offer; great guests to exchange conversations with, room and property improvements, lush landscaping and decor and a sense of warmth and inviting comfort.

Room Tip: Let Darren and Phillip know if you cook a lot or just need a small space for a few groceries. The k...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Aj E

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at motel for 2 weeks straight. It is a quiet place with lush vegetation that gives you privacy from the street. The units are clean, comfortable and pretty. We had everything we needed. The unit had a full kitchen and closets for storage. The Beach is just a few yards away, very convenient and non-populated (and is baby turtles season). The owners are just lovely, friendly and accommodating with anything we needed. This will be our choice to stay from now on. Will I recommend it? YES. If you want a quiet place, but close enough to shopping, restaurants and fun.. Stay at the Sea Horse Motel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoHappy2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you want a clean, convenient little motel, right across the street from the ocean, within walking distance of all your immediate needs, this is the place. I was searching for a pet-friendly motel/hotel for myself and my french bulldog. The Sea Horse has one pet-friendly unit that's perfect! And the motel turned out to be even nicer than I expected. The pool is partially enclosed with shrubs and palm trees so you have a wonderful feeling of privacy. The owners are very friendly, very helpful, very down to earth.
Having travelled down to Pompano Beach from NYC for many years to visit my mother, I'm happy to see the positive changes in this neighborhood over the years, I'm thankful that this motel is within walking distance of my mom's condo. I'll definitely be returning! A big thank you to Derrin and Phillip!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 91Stephanie
Reviewed August 12, 2013

At first we thought we’d found the perfect place. We have been coming to Pompano Beach for 12 years and we know the town. Phil and Darren were nice, friendly hosts. But we soon experienced something we didn’t like at all in their attitude.
It is July 4 . A family of 6 kids (!) arrive to Seahorse Motel . The motel has 9 small apt, all the same size, onebedroom/kitchen. The family was loud and very noisy. Seemed like an “invasion” of the other guests’ privacy. The dad was drinking all the time, and was also in the pool with his clothes on.
What happens next is that they have also invited their relatives and friends to Seahorse Motel to celebrate These people were all in all about 20 people who invaded the place(Non paying guests!)
We, the guests who had paid and travelled half around the world to enjoy our vacation, could not breathe for all the “actvity” caused by the non payers. No space left in the pool, loud music , singing, drinking etc. We complained but in vain .
We moved out and have since then found a really nice place where the convenice of the paying guests is prioritated.
We will never go back to this hotel and do not recommend it.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank thomas_holmstrom51
SeahorsePompano, Owner at Sea Horse Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

We are extremely appreciative of the business of all our guests, both repeat and new. It can be a difficult task to make everyone happy all the time, especially in an intimate space but we strive for balance and equity for all. We are especially cognizant of new guests, special needs, expectations, etc. and we deeply regret that you didn’t enjoy your stay at our motel.

That said, it’s unlikely we’ll be curtailing Independence Day celebrations on the property as you suggested we do, since it lasted just a few hours and was over by 10pm. We regret you couldn’t bring yourself to enjoy the food that was offered by the guests to whom you refer in this review. We certainly can’t fathom asking any guest to not participate in their Nation’s celebrations and we will also not be discriminating against families and children as suggested.

Concerning “invasion of privacy”… It’s usually our policy to not allow guests to hang undergarments and towels in the middle of the walkways causing other guests and ourselves to have to dodge them but we didn’t have the heart to confront your rube like behavior.

We apologize for the noise caused by the neighborhood lawn service about which you complained incessantly and over which we have no control. As for the drinking, be glad you weren’t charged for the wine glasses and place mats that were destroyed while being intoxicated on numerous occasions yourself.

We’re glad you’ve found new accommodations and we hope you’ll be happier there than with the last 12 places you complained about while here.

Phillip Gillespie & Darren Smith, owners of the Seahorse Motel

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Motels often provide a charming experience, with quirky idiosyncrasies; however when those issues revolve around attention to detail, cleanliness, and care for your customer things turnout to be delightful and pleasant.
The Sea Horse Resort Motel is everything good you'd want to find in a 8 room motel across the street from the beach. Here is what I liked a lot:
Super clean room and property.
Owners lived onsite and paid careful attention to details.
Power strips for your electronics.
Books for casual reading.
Nicely appointed rooms and kitchens.
Abundant personal touches.
I was provided with local activity information prior to my booking or arrival. And the owners followed up with me to make sure I found everything I originally sought was found.
Bedding and linens were very comfortable and of a very good quality.
And just to a little possible constructive feedback, I would say 2 of the 3 pillows on my King size bed could have been firmer for my optimal comfort. This minor comment was in no way a deal breaker for me. I'm sure if I even mentioned this to the owners they would have supplied me with pillows more to my desired firmness. Rereading this makes me feel like my comment is more of a compliment of how I felt this motel is run, versus a flaw in any aspect of this great little "resort" motel on Pompano Beach, emphasis on the resort aspect of this motel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Thorner H
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I live on a budget. Some times are more budgeted then others. SO this trip the search included words like MOTEL. Generally when I travel especially vacations, I stay in hotels, resorts or spas - AKA: overpriced, the only thing included is the coffee in your room (ALL else is extra), the room's are never by the pool so if you need to go back to room, its generally about a 25 minute walk through a freezing lobby and elevator. therefore foreced to carry your cellphone if which you worry about getting wet.. Yes there is always a gym, but how many times have I used it?? maybe once..... Everything in the lobby is overpriced and I wind up spending north of $300 for a ONE-night stay. WHEREAS, here I got the comforts and conveniences that is worth much more. All rooms on the 1st floor and they all have kitchens!!! My door opened to the pool area so I literally can roll out of bed and be tanned by end of my coffee and paper. THe rooms are fantastic. Beautifully decorated, VERY CLEAN, and each one has a different look from a beach cottage, uptown city and separately downtown (artist) style. I loved each one. And get this... they offer a room for people who travel with pets. It is around side of the motel, so you privacy and area for your pet to enjoy his vacation and not worry about disturbing other guests. There is a food convenience store next door (steps away) and the beach across the the street. I was so comfortable, so pleased, I booked another stay for this summer. This is a real review, I hope people take advantage especially those budgeted and go see for yourselves. It is a GREAT stay.. listed as a Motel a true 5-star plus on Motel rating... Respectfully submitted, Jeannette K. NYC, NY

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The bottom line in a review is would they go back. Let's get right to it - yes, we would most definitely go back. I would not look elsewhere.

It was so easy to relax here. All but 1 room open into the center courtyard which consists of a beautifully landscaped pool. Sitting outside, looking at the pool, was so calming. Going in the pool was also great! The beach is just across the street and was very peaceful this time of year.

We stayed in two lovely, clean and very comfortable rooms. My husband and I were in 1 large room that had a nice kitchen. My teen sons had their own very lovely room. The rooms were spotless and well-appointed. We all agreed that the Seahorse was the best place for our family.

The owners are in the right business - they are very customer-service oriented, warm and welcoming - like 2 friends you've known for years. Darren and Philip checked with us every day to make sure all was well. They also gave us great restaurant recommendations. We look forward to seeing them again!

Room Tip: Rooms 1-8 overlook the pool, courtyard. Check out each room on their website.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family