“Tasty!”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Federal Highway
Description: Situated off Atlantic Avenue, Checkers is a German styled restaurant with a Bavarian flair in Pompano Beach. We offer a large selection of authentic German beers and the best in German cuisine.
Cotacachi, EC
“Tasty!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you like German food, this is a nice little place. Good food. Generous portions. Good prices. The place was busy and the waitress was a bit harsh to begin with, but warmed as the evening calmed down.

Visited May 2013

“Das echte Küche - Real Bavarian Cuisine”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our family stopped in this place on a recent trip to Pompano Beach and I have to say we were wonderfully surprised. We decided to order several entrees and everyone partake a little of everything. The sausage sampler with sour kraut and a potato dumpling (so light and fluffy, not like a stone in your stomach like so many places prepare them). Also had the Rahmschnitzel with spaetzle, which was also fantastic. Even the spaetzle noodles were properly sauteed in a little butter until some just begin to brown, instead of just taking the noodles straight from boiling water to dinner plate. I requested a Radler on a very hot day and although it wasn't on the menu, the waitress happily mixed me up one. I lived in Bavaria for a number of years, and if you're looking for authentic Bavarian (Munchener) dishes, the food and the service here will not let you down. Enthusiastic two thumbs up!

Carnelian Bay, California
“An Introduction to Wonderful German Cuisine”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My teenage granddaughter is a very picky eater. On a recent visit to South Florida, I faced the challenge of taking the young lady out to dinner for a grandpa talk about... well, life... my old one, her new. I went down the list of what she won't eat, crossing off restaurant choices... Thai, out, doesn't like spicy - there goes Mexican and Cuban too. Italian seemed a possibility, but... then... I came across Checkers Old Munchen. She has German Great Grandparents, maybe genetics is the answer.

A simple storefront on a busy Pompano Beach avenue, but walking through the door was like visiting a cafe in Bavaria... without the language problem. We were early so there were tables available, but the room seemed full of happy people, customer's and staff. Our waitress reminded me of a favorite aunt, sizing up the situation quickly and suggesting an entree my granddaughter might enjoy, Huehnerbrust “Francais”. The dish was the perfect choice, she loved it. In spite of the name, it was pretty German all right, the Spaetzel on the side got raves from Miss fussy eater. I had my favorite, Veal Wienersnitzel; probably the best I've ever had, either side of the Atlantic. It was tender and flavorful, with a light sauce topping. But the German Chocolate Cake we shared was the clincher. I can't say that the grandfatherly advice will be remembered, but the experience of trying something new and delicious just might have changed a young girl's attitude about food.

North Conway, New Hampshire
“A favorite authentic German restaurant”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The first time we came was for lunch and we enjoyed our authentic sampler meals so much that we returned for dinner on our next trip to Pompano. The entrees are very authentic with a great selection of dishes and beers to choose from. The apple strudel is ample enough to share among friends and very tasty!

Visited April 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Fun!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Fun place to eat, been going for years. It's a smaller place so quite noisy. But lots of fun. Always crowded, so we started making reservations in advance Food is great, great beer ....love das boot! It can be a little pricy, but food quality is good.. Wait staff sometimes seem to be overwhelmed and busy but do the job to take care if you. . Overall experience great!