“Nice hotel, but not all that exciting”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Pompano Beach
birmingham
“Nice hotel, but not all that exciting”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This hotel has nice big rooms with a kitchen and a washer and dryer, which came in really handy. I do say "room," because it's not really a suite if it's all in ONE room. They called it a "studio suite," but anyway... we had a nice view of the water and the beach access was great. It's not a real exciting hotel or area, and calling it a "resort" is a stretch. It's truely a Residence Inn (for those of you who are familiar) that's lucky to be on the beach. That translates to paying more money than you have ever paid at a Residence Inn (which aren't cheap to begin with) plus a valet parking charge! There is really nothing to do, see or eat in walking distance, so you must have a car.
They do have tiny restaurant which is unusual for a Residence Inn but it seemed to be completely dead most times and had no atmosphere at all. One night there were actually some customers and the one guy they had working was completely overwhelmed. Not sure why they are not staffed more especially since it was peak season. We didn't bother to wait, and went elsewhere which we really wanted to do anyway.
Same goes for the front desk and housekeeping. Most days we didnt see housekeeping until after 3pm. You would think the rooms would be cleaned much earlier in the day. The desk was also understaffed and although they were pleasant, not the level of service you'd expect when you are paying near $300. a night.
The only problems we had with the room was the cable TV only gets a fraction of the stations on the directory and there are no scheduled exercise classes like the brochure says. I do not like the fact they take dogs, of which I saw many during my stay.
Overall if you want to pay the $, and like a relaxing vacation, it's not bad. If you want more excitement and activities/ restaurants/bars nearby, stick with Fort Lauderdale beach hotels, they wont cost you anymore!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Ron K, Director of Hotel perations at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 18, 2016
I do apologize that your previous stay with us wasn't an amazing one. We'd love to make it up to you and have your next stay with us as near to perfection as it can be. The Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Salisbury MD
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Let me start off by saying I wish someone would have warned me about this area in February. The traffic was horrible from A1A to Route 1. We also managed to hit the drawbridges up almost every time. Route 95 is the best way to travel to get anywhwere. Add plenty of time to get to your destination. I am so glad I chose Pompano Beach versus Fort Lauderdale which was not quite as congested.

The Residence Inn was cozy and the valet parking never was an issue. I am not sure why but the room I booked was changed from a suite to a studio without my knowledge. We tried out the studio and it met our needs so we didn't change it, plus it was much less expensive. We had a partial ocean view with a nice balcony and kitchenette. The room was spacious and nicely decorated. It was quiet. The one negative was that there was an odor in the room, sort of like mildew that either came from the a.c. unit or the carpet. Dinner at one of the nights at Oasis restaurant onsite was very slow but the food overall was good. The included hot breakfast buffet was good also. I got a manicure at the spa onsite for a very reasonable price.

We were able to get chairs around the pool and at the beach, no problem. The weather was beautiful but windy and a little chilly on our last full day there. Check out Butterfly World if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Terpatt
Ron K, Director of Hotel Operations at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 18, 2016
mich
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We found out during a recent stay that all of the rooms are available for customers with pets. It's not limited to certain rooms on certain floors. I assume those customers are charged an extra cleaning fee and unfortunately we received a room where the cleaning was not completed.
This is a friendly facility that has had a recent name change and total makeover. They have done a good job with the remodel but because of the pet policy, we would not stay again. Addtionally there is a $20 fee to valet park.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
I do apologize that your previous sta with us wasn't an amazing one. The Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 from top to bottom, inside and out... and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed here with family for a wedding a few weeks back. Upon arriving, I was very underwhemed, and a little nervous at what I had gotten myself into. My fears were unfounded though. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Our room was located on the floor with the spa, so as soon as we arrived on our floor we were welcomed with a fantastic aroma. The spa was running some really good specials so I treated myself. They also had a decent gym, pilates room and group exercise room. The staff was great, really friendly and attentive. The hotel has a nice pool and private access to the beach. The only drawback, you are far away from any nightlife. You need to have a car to go anywhere worthwhile. Oh, and they do not have an airport shuttle.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Joanne126
Thank you for your review! The Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed here a few months ago and was charged an extra night. I did forget to check out, but how many of us always remember to do so? I called them later in the day after I realized we did not check out and they said it was taken care of, but they still ended up charging me. Eventually it was taken off, but they really caused me a lot of stress. Spent a lot of money in the first place and you would think they would have better customer service. I told the front office desk and they originally said I would have to call the accounting department. More work for me even though they made the mistake

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry that your previous stay with us wasn't amazing. The Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more wonderful than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!
Miami, FL
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This is one of the best properties that Marriott has to offer.
Most of the rooms have ocean views, they are clean, well mantained and have everything you need. The hotel complimentary daily breakfast in an nice comfortable setting with big screen TV's through out the lounges. On the wekends, you can even catch some football while you're down in the lobby.
The hotel has a very nice spa. Hotels often say that they have a fitness center and when you walk in you find two bikes, three treadmills and a mat.
Not this one.
This hotel has a very nicely equiped gym with even Pilates equipment. The hotel is located on the beach in A1A (the coastal road of Southeastern Florida) which is very nice if you decide to go for a run/walk.
The staff couldn't have been nicer. We had bikes with us and on check-out they offered alternatives to secure our bikes.
There is a charge for parking and it is pricey, but I certainly understood why they charged the 19 dollars. Spots are few and space is an issue.
I am very high on this property and I will be returning to sit down, relax and enjoy our balcony room overlooking the ocean with a glass of wine.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Overall, this is a very nice right on the beach hotel with fabulous views. The room has everything you could want, including a washer and dryer. It was large and comfortable with no signs of bed bugs!! The only problem we encountered were a group of very unruly guests of the hotel on the beach. They seemed to have a vocabulary limited to three curse words and were drunk so they were very loud. We moved as far away from them as we could and were still treated to their foul behavior. We know they were guests as they keep going back up to the room for more beer. There are no attendants on the beach so there was really no one to talk to about this problem. Another couple left the beach for the pool as they had heard enough. But the hotel itself, minus the horribly behaved guests, was very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jemom68
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Dear Jemom68,

Thank you so much for writing. I’m so sorry disruptive guests kept you from enjoying your stay 100 percent. Please feel free to alert our staff next time, we’ll be happy to assist. We really appreciate you that you like our hotel & would love to see you again so we can try to make your stay 100% fantastic. Hope to see you soon.

Best regards,
#1 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
#3 of 38 in Pompano Beach

Been to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront? Share your experiences!