“Customer service need improvements.”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Pompano Beach
US
“Customer service need improvements.”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

My experience with the Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront was not up to the caliber for a Marriott quality service and much less for a Marriott Platinum Elite member. Even though I enjoyed quality time with my family, a couple of incidents made a negative mark on my stay in this Marriott property.

On June 20, 2011, I checked-in to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront for a stay until the 24th. On the morning of the 21st, the room was serviced and only 1-towel was replaced in a room with 2-bedrooms and 4-occupants. Room service did not deliver hand towels, shower floor mats or anything else. Over the next 24-hours, contacted the front desk on 3-occasions and visited personally twice to inquire about the towels. The towels were never delivered.

On the morning of the 22nd, room service was conducted and again 1-towel was replaced (the same towel from previous day). I complaint with the front desk and around 11:00 AM, towels were delivered to the room after more than 24-hours with a single towel for 4-occupants.

On the morning of the 23rd, I delivered two sets of important documents to the front desk to be faxed to two separate locations. Later in the morning and before I departed the hotel property for the day, I inquired about the faxes and I was told by the front desk clerk that the faxes were sent but she did not have the documents or confirmations. The lady continued to explain that the faxes were sent from an office in the second floor and someone else was doing this task. I asked her to retrieve the documents and the confirmations, and that I would collect them later on the day.

In the evening, at or around 07:00 PM, I returned to the hotel and immediately inquired about the documents and the confirmations. The front desk clerk told me she would call me later because seems that both items were still in the second floor offices. After about an hour, I contacted the front desk and I was told that my documents and the confirmations were locked in a second floor office. I clarified that I was going to checkout in the morning. The front desk clerk stated that these items were going to be retrieved in the morning before I checkout.

In the morning of the 24th, well before leaving the room for the lobby, I contacted the front desk and inquired about the documents or confirmations. The front desk clerk stated that she did not know the status of these items. I explained the chain of events as they related to these documents and she told me that she would find out the status of them. I restated that I was scheduled to checkout shortly that morning.

After I arrived to the lobby to check out, I asked the front desk clerk about the documents or confirmations and the front desk clerk handed me a folder with papers. I inspected the contents and discovered that they were documents and faxes (tax, accounting, financial or investments paperwork) belonging to someone else. After I returned the folder to the front desk clerk, I was told that my documents and confirmations were locked in an office in the second floor. I expressed my disappointment because by now, my documents had been floating around for over 24-hours and nobody seems to had any real knowledge where they were. In addition, my trust and confidence in these front desk clerks was very low since they handed me what seems to be very important papers belonging to someone else.

One front desk clerk left the front desk to retrieve my documents or confirmations and never returned with them. After I waited for approximately 45-minutes and heard all sorts of insignificant excuses, I told the front desk clerk that their performance in relation to this incident was less than professional and totally unacceptable. Before I left the hotel property, I asked the front desk clerk to please ensure the documents were totally destroyed. At this point, I was really concern about these documents since they contained personal identifiable information, other important information with my signature.

Later in the day, at or around 1:30 PM, I received an e-mail from who should have been the recipient of one of the faxes I attempted to send 24-hours earlier and he claimed that he did not receive the fax. Upon confirming that the fax was not received, I contacted the hotel to inquire about the documents and the front desk clerk did not have any updates.

At that point, I demanded to talk to the hotel manager. On the first attempt, I was transferred to a telephone extension that did not have an initialized voice mailbox. On the second attempt, the front desk clerk claimed that the hotel manager was on a meeting and that she would contact me as soon as she was out. I provided my contact information to the clerk and I had not heard from the hotel manager ever since.

I travel extensively, I had earned Marriott Platinum Elite status and I have never seen such careless disregard and pure incompetence in a Marriott property (corporate nor franchise).

A good review is not valid without recommendations. These are my recommendations:

1. Room service must know how many occupants are in the rooms. Regardless, for double rooms and/or double beds, at least, 4-sets of towels must be placed and replaced.
2. Install a fax machine in the front desk. This Marriott property was sending faxes from an office in the second floor. Since most of the times front desk clerks work by themselves, the process to send faxes took too long.
3. Front desk must create inboxes to organize faxes: in and out or to send and sent. I observed that fax papers were piled up with other miscellaneous papers in a small desk drawer (at clerk’s left) at the front desk.
4. Create a fax cover sheet. It helps to sort and handle fax papers more efficiently.

Room Tip: Get rooms in the East side of the building.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Pegasus165
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear Pegasus165,

Please accept my deepest apologies for the extreme challenges you experienced pertaining to the faxing of your documents. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and would like to thank you for your recommendations. I have reached out to you by phone and look forward to hearing back from you so that we can discuss further. We are currently in a management transition and as you noted, have work to do in several areas and are excited about working on the opportunities to improve that lie ahead.

Best regards,

Melvern Williamson, Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We chose this marriott over the other beachside ones because we could get a two bedroom suite for so much less. One bedroom with bath and the other bed in the bigger area with kitchen, couch, desk, laundry and bath. The room was very clean but had a slight odor. We ignored it. It was on the beach side of the hotel so we had two balconies overlooking the ocean. Very nice view. Beach was great, paying for a cabana well worth the shade. Pools were nearly empty and very clean, comfy chairs. Got a spa treatment on special, it was great. Everyone was friendly and the valets were quick. Breakfast was fine, we didnt mind it at all. My husband was very frustated at how difficult it was for him to send some faxes. The lobby is very pretty for bfast. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Angiesalga
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience Ms. Salga; we appreciate your kind comments! It’s great to know you enjoyed not only your suite, but the cabana and spa treatment as well. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and with Marriott.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This was nice & a good value. Breakfast was good if crowded. Nice poor, fun evening things, and loved the bartender. The spa was very nice too. The location was good.

Only two complaints - the bed was not comfortable. Biggest beef - the maids did not service our room regularly, even after calling down & speaking to the front desk about it.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank KennyfanFairfaxVA
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for your review Kennyfan, it’s great to know you had a chance to take advantage of the spa, pool and our evening activities. Thanks especially from our bar staff, they were thrilled to be mentioned! Please accept my apologies for your concern with housekeeping; I regret that we fell short of our goal to provide outstanding service in this area, but do thank you for your feedback.
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Right on the beach! Nice outdoor pool that served lunch. Delicious food and drinks. Our room had a nice balcony we enjoyed. Manager's reception and free breakfast! Loved it for a winter getaway!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConBakDoug
Ron K, Director of Hotel Operations at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 18, 2016
Chicago
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I recently stayed here, and was generally satisfied with a large BUT. The location is right on the beach in a nice quiet part of Pompano Beach south of a very posh residential area. The room was large and well appointed, as I think this property has been recently acquired by Marriott (judging by the banners on the building). There are a bunch of nice restaurants within reasonable driving distance, and the breakfast buffet was good and high quality (but repetitive after staying there a week). The rate was also good for a beachside property.

The negative was that when I arrived, about nothing in the room worked. Several lamps were not working (bulbs), the cable TV was out, the shower had no hot water (shower control had been improperly installed), and the room door took all of my 200 pounds to open it. The staff quickly fixed all of these items when I called, but it is very disappointing to have to be a part of their maintenance process. All of these items could easily have been reported by the maid staff.

If in the area, I will give it one more try.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank arozylo1
I do apologize that your previous stay with us wasn't an amazing one. We'd love to make it up to you and have your next stay with us as near to perfection as it can be. The Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 8, 2011

A bureaucratic boondoggle ensued over a credit card messed up not, by me, but by them. More than two months after my stay, they called to say my card had not gone through. They were unwilling to extend any type of restitution for what they were responsible for. I called Marriott customer Service to report this, but discovered that the franchisee of this place is Concord Hotel management. Obviously, they care only about "the bottom line", not customer satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
I do apologize that your previous stay with us wasn't an amazing one. We'd love to make it up to you and have your next stay with us as near to perfection as it can be. Concord is no longer the owner of this property and the new Residence Inn Pompano Beach is wrapping up an extensive renovation project in early 2017 and the hotel is even more amazing than before. If you return to the area, please consider us your "newest" home away from home in the Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. We'd love to see you again!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We went there from Miami to get out of the city while the "Urban Beach Weekend" was going on in SoBe. We had a great time. The resort was quite busy with weddings and other events. They had a bounce house and movies by the pool at night for kids which was great. They offered beach food and drink service at both pool and beach which was a nice touch. We rented water skis and my husband was able to enjoy a massage at the lovely spa. The room was great. Two bedroom ocean front unit with a fantastic view of the light house and Ft. Lauderdale skyline from both balconies. Staff was great and it was nice to have our windows cleaned by valet and water bottles being placed in the car before our departure.

Room Tip: Two bedroom ocean front worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Margaritagirl33133
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Hi Margaritagirl,

I’m so glad you and your family enjoyed your visit; it sounds like you had a great time and I’d like you to know it was our pleasure to have you stay with us! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you need a weekend getaway.

Take care,

Beachcomber Resort and Villas
Beachcomber Resort and Villas
#3 of 37 in Pompano Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,320 reviews

Been to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront? Share your experiences!