My experience with the Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront was not up to the caliber for a Marriott quality service and much less for a Marriott Platinum Elite member. Even though I enjoyed quality time with my family, a couple of incidents made a negative mark on my stay in this Marriott property.
On June 20, 2011, I checked-in to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront for a stay until the 24th. On the morning of the 21st, the room was serviced and only 1-towel was replaced in a room with 2-bedrooms and 4-occupants. Room service did not deliver hand towels, shower floor mats or anything else. Over the next 24-hours, contacted the front desk on 3-occasions and visited personally twice to inquire about the towels. The towels were never delivered.
On the morning of the 22nd, room service was conducted and again 1-towel was replaced (the same towel from previous day). I complaint with the front desk and around 11:00 AM, towels were delivered to the room after more than 24-hours with a single towel for 4-occupants.
On the morning of the 23rd, I delivered two sets of important documents to the front desk to be faxed to two separate locations. Later in the morning and before I departed the hotel property for the day, I inquired about the faxes and I was told by the front desk clerk that the faxes were sent but she did not have the documents or confirmations. The lady continued to explain that the faxes were sent from an office in the second floor and someone else was doing this task. I asked her to retrieve the documents and the confirmations, and that I would collect them later on the day.
In the evening, at or around 07:00 PM, I returned to the hotel and immediately inquired about the documents and the confirmations. The front desk clerk told me she would call me later because seems that both items were still in the second floor offices. After about an hour, I contacted the front desk and I was told that my documents and the confirmations were locked in a second floor office. I clarified that I was going to checkout in the morning. The front desk clerk stated that these items were going to be retrieved in the morning before I checkout.
In the morning of the 24th, well before leaving the room for the lobby, I contacted the front desk and inquired about the documents or confirmations. The front desk clerk stated that she did not know the status of these items. I explained the chain of events as they related to these documents and she told me that she would find out the status of them. I restated that I was scheduled to checkout shortly that morning.
After I arrived to the lobby to check out, I asked the front desk clerk about the documents or confirmations and the front desk clerk handed me a folder with papers. I inspected the contents and discovered that they were documents and faxes (tax, accounting, financial or investments paperwork) belonging to someone else. After I returned the folder to the front desk clerk, I was told that my documents and confirmations were locked in an office in the second floor. I expressed my disappointment because by now, my documents had been floating around for over 24-hours and nobody seems to had any real knowledge where they were. In addition, my trust and confidence in these front desk clerks was very low since they handed me what seems to be very important papers belonging to someone else.
One front desk clerk left the front desk to retrieve my documents or confirmations and never returned with them. After I waited for approximately 45-minutes and heard all sorts of insignificant excuses, I told the front desk clerk that their performance in relation to this incident was less than professional and totally unacceptable. Before I left the hotel property, I asked the front desk clerk to please ensure the documents were totally destroyed. At this point, I was really concern about these documents since they contained personal identifiable information, other important information with my signature.
Later in the day, at or around 1:30 PM, I received an e-mail from who should have been the recipient of one of the faxes I attempted to send 24-hours earlier and he claimed that he did not receive the fax. Upon confirming that the fax was not received, I contacted the hotel to inquire about the documents and the front desk clerk did not have any updates.
At that point, I demanded to talk to the hotel manager. On the first attempt, I was transferred to a telephone extension that did not have an initialized voice mailbox. On the second attempt, the front desk clerk claimed that the hotel manager was on a meeting and that she would contact me as soon as she was out. I provided my contact information to the clerk and I had not heard from the hotel manager ever since.
I travel extensively, I had earned Marriott Platinum Elite status and I have never seen such careless disregard and pure incompetence in a Marriott property (corporate nor franchise).
A good review is not valid without recommendations. These are my recommendations:
1. Room service must know how many occupants are in the rooms. Regardless, for double rooms and/or double beds, at least, 4-sets of towels must be placed and replaced.
2. Install a fax machine in the front desk. This Marriott property was sending faxes from an office in the second floor. Since most of the times front desk clerks work by themselves, the process to send faxes took too long.
3. Front desk must create inboxes to organize faxes: in and out or to send and sent. I observed that fax papers were piled up with other miscellaneous papers in a small desk drawer (at clerk’s left) at the front desk.
4. Create a fax cover sheet. It helps to sort and handle fax papers more efficiently.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your Florida beach vacation awaits you at Residence Inn by Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront hotel located directly on the Atlantic Ocean! Experience majestic sunsets from your private balcony in a spacious suite with fully equipped kitchen. Relax by our two sparkling swimming pools. Our Florida beach hotel blends together the best of any Stay-cation by offering stylish accommodations, delectable beachfront dining- - all tied together with genuine hospitality. Our friendly staff is ready to help you experience the best of what you want from your oceanfront stay, whether it's rejuvenating, relaxing or experiencing exciting activities! We're ideally located just minutes to Deerfield Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Delray Beach and Boca Raton! Among Florida beach hotels, Residence Inn by Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront hotel stands above the rest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront Hotel
- Ocean Sands Hotel
- Ocean Sands Resort Spa